Revising Wicked

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#25re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:05pm

People might kill me, but I would make Glinda smaller. It's Elphaba's story, and the only reason she's got so much stuff is because they had Kristin Chenoweth playing the part and gave her all this extra music and dialogue. It's a great part, but she needs to be a supporting character.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#26re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:12pm

I agree, the raised Galinda's role so much that its now more of her story then Elphaba's. I love Galinda as much as the next person but I wish they would remain true to the story and bring Galinda down a notch.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

BSoBW2
#27re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:24pm

Glinda is a smokin' pink girl.....def a role worthy of said nudity....

I failed to mention that when the Wizard steals Elphaba's broom, he smacks her across the face, ties her up to his big head (y'all know what I mean), and does a little S&M switcheroo!

Dreamcatcher
#28re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:27pm

hahaha oh good lord!

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#29re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:17pm

i would make it more like the book.
fiyero would have blue diamonds all over him as well.
i agree with BEKA, i would have the elaborate on the time clock dragon.
i would like to see more of elphaba mid life instead of harping on shiz and then suddenly skipping her whole "secret" life.
i would also bring the part of the book where they go to that place/club and yea you know the rest. it would be like Contact in RENT haha

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

BSoBW2
#30re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:21pm

kim, that scene is unnecessary with MY fullproof staging, costuming, etc

Dreamcatcher
#31re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:21pm

Yeah I do wish that they went into her life before Shiz more. And that they elaborated on her and Fiyero's relationship. I know there are some very subtle hints in there somewhere but it would be better if they built more onto the process of their falling in love instead of jumping right to it.

wicked1
#32re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:22pm

I definitely agree with developing the time clock dragon. I didn't even realize it was on stage until I read the book!

Also, developing the cruelty to animals plot. Elphaba seems a little neurotic about this since it wasn't developed fully!

I love it so I can live with it the way it is!!

Johnnytoc
#33re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:24pm

Kim, I remember reading in an interview with Norbert that they tried the diamonds but it made him look extremely bruised from like the third row back.

I do wish it was closer to the book.

BSoBW2
#34re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:26pm

There are pictures of Norbert with the diamonds- you can also see it on PBS' The American Musical

Dreamcatcher
#35re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:26pm

Yeah I can see why they wouldnt use the diamonds since, from a distance, they would be blurry and look like Norbert had gotten extrememly hurt.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#36re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:27pm

Couldn't they just splash glitter on his face - Let the lighting do the trick.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

singinswinga Profile Photo
singinswinga
#37re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:33pm

What about the whole HALF of the book when Elphie stayed at Kiamo Ko?
Also in the book Elphaba never was really wicked, but in the musical she became wicked near the end and lost my sympathy.

I know this groc'ry clerk...

BSoBW2
#38re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:34pm

She never lost my sympathy.....

Wicked au Natural

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#39re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:42pm

I wouldn't say that Elphaba lost my sympathy towards the end of the show, but I did feel for her a lot more at the end of the book. Like many others have said, I would definitely elaborate on the Time Dragon, Elphaba's life before Shiz, Nessa, Boq, and the relationship between Fiyero and Elphaba. I also agree with what many people have said about keeping the show darker like the book. I guess that they made it a lot lighter to be more 'family friendly' because that would draw family audiences. Then again isn't it reccommended that no one under eight goes to it? Anyway, I think that part of making the show lighter was building up Glinda's role (tying into what bjivie said). Having her be a larger role in the show kind of takes your mind off of the darker pain that Elphaba experiences, and many of her troubles that are in the book. It makes the show "airier" with a lot more laughs. Does that make sense? :)

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#40re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:55pm

With all of that said, I think that considering the budget, and trying to make a semi- family friendly musical, and using what they had to work with... they did a fantastic job.

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#41re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:05pm

bsbo your too funny! i have the pbs special,what part can you see it?

johnny- wow i didn't know that. still if he just had it on say his chest little random diamonds...he would be forced to be shirtless throughout the show.. what luck? haha

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#42re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:06pm

I likee Justice's idea, I think that if they used glitter that with th elighting would make dimaonds.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BSoBW2
#43re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:33pm

kim - it's the making of Wicked where they show the performance in San Fran.

Also, I have a picture at home with the diamonds - i can scan it and post it this weekend when i get home.....

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#44re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:35pm

I would re-do the entire show from top to bottom, make it more faithful to the book, add jokes that are actually funny, and actually put some thought into the script so the story makes sense.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#45re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:40pm

well, your post was certainly NOT a surprise....

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#46re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:43pm

I completely agree with Munk. Thats why, if they do a movie version of Wicked, I would want it to be the novel.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#47re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:48pm

Neither was your post, BSO....I knew it's been too long since you're last irritating pointless post belittling someone else's opinion...I was wondering what happened!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#48re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:56pm

What happened?

You haven't been on in a while...

Now, a more serious question....why doesn't my ignore list work?

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#49re: Revising Wicked
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:57pm

dude why do u have this bosession with mudity and cannibalism????

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Videos