Favorite Costumes

Chrysanthemum62001
#25re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:20pm

Clothes are very important to me, so I can't just pick one.

Men: The Emcee's costume-So many beautiful men filled it out so well.
The "lemony" costume in Taboo.-Sweet Jesus! re: Favorite Costumes

Women: Everything in Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Wild Party, and Cabaret.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
Updated On: 1/31/05 at 07:20 PM

bdwybelle
#26re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:49pm

- Ruth Sherwood's costume from Swing! in Wonderful Town
- all of Anna's costumes from The King And I
- most of Hairspray's costumes - the dynamites or whatever they're called, with the red dresses and shoes
- Hello Again - the whore costume lol
- Birds of Paradise - penguin costumes

jo
#27re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:00pm

Do you have the feeling that seeing these costumes worn onstage makes them look more eyecatching than when they ( or similar ones) are featured in movie versions?

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#28re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:06pm

I have to agree that Elphaba's 2nd act dress is spectacular. Maybe this is a mistake of the lighting on my part but when I saw a pic of the dress it looked black from the distance but hwen you saw it up close it had small bits of reds and really ornate design work on it and it was like there was more to it then meets the eye. Really stunning work how they made a simple black dress look so specatcular. Also loved Glinda's gown in the sense that it wasnt the typical pink, froo-froo dress we imagine when we think of her. It still suited the character perfectly but I loved the color scheme and the overall design of it. Very suiting.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Phantom487
#29re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:11pm

I like the costumes in "Naked Boys Singing".... hehehe

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#30re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:15pm

Beauty and the beast has some Amazing costumes.Disney tends to do well in this cattegory.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Dreamcatcher
#31re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:19pm

Did Njila Dickson do costume designs for a recent broadway show? Sorry I can't remember if she did or not...

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

arykahmarye
#32re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:22pm

'Phantom of the Opera's costumes are gorgeous, i know my little sister is in love with the Aminta dress Christine wears during Don Juan Triumphant.

I loved the lionesses dresses in 'The Lion King', i was ready to go back stage and haggle for one all night if necessary. 'Beauty and the Beast's costumes are really pretty, very elaborate.

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

Dreamcatcher
#33re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:29pm

Yeah the Lion King had some great costumes, even though the show itself was a bit mediocre in my opinion. I also loved the costumes for Flower Drum Song. I think if they do Mulan as a stage show they could make fabulous costumes for that.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#34re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:52pm

I just remembered: Frank's costume from The Rocky Horror Show. Two words: sparkly corset.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#35re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 9:46pm

I adore William Ivey Long:
His dresses in Never Gonna Dance were STUNNING.
I also loved the Glam dresses Edna and Tracy wear in Hairspray.
His black gown in a small show at MTC a few years ago (The Neil Simon show that was awful)
Love William Ivey Long. His creations in La Cage, are gorgeous.
He is a genius.
My fantasy is to some day wear one of his designs.
The blue dresses look like Pucci.
re: Favorite Costumes Updated On: 1/31/05 at 09:46 PM

chickenlover
#36re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 10:02pm

you are all a bunch of stupid idiots! William Ivey Long is just about the worst costume designer ever! Have you ever noticed that all of his shows look exactly the same? That's not a good thing in the world of costume design. Didn't you notice that ZaZa in La Cage looks exactly like Adelaide in Guys and Dolls? and Chicago!... come on...any of us could go to Capezio and buy that show off the rack. Lets talk about talented designers like Jess Goldstein who can design a grand show like Rivals as well as beachwear in Good Vibrations, he doesn't have a style, thats why he works a lot. Or Susan Hilferty who can do Wicked as well as the subtle Good Body as well as the nastalgic Assissins. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Mythus
#37re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 10:04pm

Uh...you know, William Ivey Long was the original costume designer for Assassins. The costumes remained pretty much the same, if I recall.

Didn't you notice that ZaZa in La Cage looks exactly like Adelaide in Guys and Dolls?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#38re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 10:08pm

Hey Chicken,
Question for you. You like the designs in GOOD VIBRATIONS?
I hated the designs in that show. The cast were wonderful, but who wears BOOTS and Bathing attire on a beach.
I'm sorry. HORRIBLE.
Please tell me what rack i can find William Ivey Longs designs?
I would love to own some.
And while i enjoyed the Rivals, I was not crazy about the designs. Especially the mens designs. The geeky guy looked like a clown. It was a bit much. Updated On: 1/31/05 at 10:08 PM

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#39re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 11:02pm

I agree that the Never Gonna Dance dresses were amazing -- as were all of Taboo's costumes. Whether I'm a Wicked fan or not, I think Taboo deserved the costume Tony last year...

This season, the costumes for LCT's "The Rivals" were gorgeous

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#40re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 11:09pm

I would kill for Glinda's pink party dress!

Dreamcatcher
#41re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 11:15pm

Yeah love the party dress. Love all Wicked costumes for that matter. And although there was nothing extravagant about them, I really liked the outfits chosen for RENT. I think they were chosen very well.

Raggy Q poo
#42re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 11:34pm

Did we forget Avenue Q costumes? First of all, nobody can tell me that Johnny and Barrett don't have the best costumes. Come on now, tight black shirt, tight jeans..you got it right there baby! And sitting in the 2nd row... Sweet sufferin Jesus!
And on a side note- Christmas Eve always wears umm...interesting things and I love how the wedding dress has lights on it... she is so cute re: Favorite Costumes

People like you are the reason I'm on medication.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#43re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 12:23am

Hairspray costumes are so much fun, so colorful and bright! I love them. I like All Shook Up's for the same reason.. I guess I'm like kitten I like bright colorful things..

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#44re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 1:09am

ok so i dont want to start a fight here, but Chicago? CHICAGO? yes, they're great for the show, but honestly people, those costumes cannot be considered favorites. and even if they are they certainly don't deserve the "obviously" next to them. i cant see how its "obvious" at all that they should be favorites.

talk about Lion King. those were genious, really, we all must admit. but who among us with theatre background could not have designed Chicago just as well? really.

mr long's work is very good, which is why i consider it to be an insult to his career to point CHICAGO as if it were his crowning glory

Dreamcatcher
#45re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 1:34am

I agree, while Chicago's costumes are very good works of art I'm not sure I see them as "obviously the best" etc compared to some of the other costumes that they have come up with. Thats just my opinion on it.

chickenlover
#46re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 2:07am

well, retard..I didn't say I liked the GV costumes..I was just listing some good designer credits..andthats that

chickenlover
#47re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 2:10am

the costumes for the revival of assassins were way better. William just built pictures he found in textbooks...Susan made the clothes real and not crappy historical cutouts .

Stagedoor2
#48re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:50am

The ensemble costumes for Wicked are absolutely works of art. The first time I saw the show, I had won the lottery, so it was from the front row and I couldn't stop staring at the costumes -- they are gorgeous. All of the different fabrics, different lines and draping -- wonderful. I think I missed some of the show because I was lost in the costumes.

William Ivey Long walked by me at the last show of The Boy from Oz, but I didn't notice until he was down the aisle. I would have loved to have just shook his hand and told him how much I admired him and his work.

Maybe next time...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#49re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:54am

I DID LOVE Christmas Eve's wedding dress.
Very funny.
Otherwise the costumes in Q did not stand out.
Unless you count the Hello Kitty nightgown that Kate wears.
I think Kate needs a trip to Victoria's Secret.
re: Favorite Costumes

Videos