pixeltracker

MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS- Page 2

MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS

ButtonstheClown Profile Photo
ButtonstheClown
#25re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:30pm

If the inanimate objects were going to pair up...

Lumiere + Babette
Cogsworth + Madame de la Grande Bouche
Mrs. Potts + Chip

Just because they're paired doesn't mean they're an item, although it is the case for Lumiere and Babette. Cogsworth and Madame might have something sparking at the end of the show, but from what I get out of it, are just close friends. Mrs. Potts and Chip are just mother and son.

Silence seemed the only way. Now I understand it's cost.
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 01:30 PM

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#26re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:42pm

So who ends up with the cheese grater?

ButtonstheClown
#27re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:42pm

The Egg-Timer, of course!

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#28re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:51pm

Ummm I say the most erroneous charector are shpritze and Bilke in Fiddler. They don't add anything to the story. Also another charector in the show (if u call them that) are the 2 boys. I played one but i foud it stupid, other than in the ensemble they never speak and Yente brings them to pair with shpritze and bilke. Just get rid of them, there is no point.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#29re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:57pm

I played one of those two boys in fith grade. And let me tell you, DRAMA backstage because no boys had lines but me and another got to do a special part. Yeah, it was a perfect diva moment that I let slip by me.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#30re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:59pm

Phra Alack in THE KING AND I
The Captain in CAROUSEL

ButtonstheClown
#31re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:00pm

Eugene in Grease.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#32re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:02pm

I wouldn't say that Lucy in J&H is superfluous at all. i love her character. she personifies the good vs. evil theme that runs throughout the entire show just like jekyll/hyde does. i find it very interesting that she, the poor prostitute, would fall for jekyll (the good) when hyde (evil!) is the one that goes after her. the character of lucy further proves the point that "it's all a facade" and that we can't judge a book by its cover. she's also there to irritate the inner battle that jekyll/hyde is going through.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#33re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:04pm

Agreed Buttons.

Absolutely terrible character.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#34re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:27pm

Jon: I thought Velma was one of the other Jets' girlfriends, and Graziella was Riff's girlfriend. Did I have them mixed up?

Either way, they're both fairly pointless...

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#35re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:42pm

Marcellus in THE MUSIC MAN

The Barber in MAN OF LA MANCHA

Eugene Florczik in GREASE

Rusty Charlie in GUYS AND DOLLS

Snow White and Sleeping Beauty in INTO THE WOODS

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#36re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:55pm

hahaha
definitely Velma in WSS
i had forgotten how pointless those two girls are
"I and Velma aint dumb!"
lol

how about meg in phantom
the only cool thing she does is take the mask at the end
which i think madame giry should have done instead anyway

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 05:55 PM

CTY
#37re: MOST SUPERFLUOUS CHARACTERS
Posted: 4/15/05 at 9:00pm

excuse me-i played rusty charlie once and i am mortally offended

actually-i kid, because it is one of the most pointless roles. i sang fugue for tinhorns and then assimmilated into one of the crapshooters for the rest of the show.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#38Eugene from Grease
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:23am

Well if you go with my horrible director from a production of Grease I did's idea, all the characters except Eugene and Patty represent evil, and how with being evil you will never succeed, but Patty and Eugene were good so they ended up winning in life...

I did say horrible director right.

Well actually he didn't even direct...he sat and let someone else do it and took credit.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#39Eugene from Grease
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:27am

Ah, you'll strike a lot of those directors as you wend your way through life!

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#40Eugene from Grease
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:33am

mydreamsrecurring...i totally agree w/ the meg comment. it should have been mme. giry.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#41Eugene from Grease
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:44am

"So who ends up with the cheese grater?"

LOL

A few summers ago my friend was in NYC and happened to be outside the Luft-Fontanne at curtain time just looking at the pictures and quotes. Some guy (who had obviously been stood up by his date) gave a pair of centre orchestra tkts to my friend and walked off in disgust. So my friend (who had never seen the show) goes in just as it is starting and watched the whole show. Afterwards he goes by the stage door to get Andre Mcardles's autograph. He also strikes up a conversation with the actor who plays the cheese grater, and they ended up going on a date!!!!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#42Eugene from Grease
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:47am

that's genius! when my friends and i saw it, we made fun of the cake-cutter b/c he looked so clumsy up there.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

musicman117 Profile Photo
musicman117
#43most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 5:29am

In reguards to King Herod's song:

It really isnt needed. Herod is not always included in the story of jesus and doesnt need to be. I see it as superfluous because you could take it out and the story would not suffer, whereas you take erronius out of ...forum and not everything is tied up at the end.

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#44most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 10:15am

Lucy is actually in the book of Jekyll and Hyde, so its not as though she were added JUST to belt out a couple numbers. Some of her songs, I agree, are superfuluous, but not the character as a whole.

I'm doing Birdie right now, and I have to say that there was really no reason to name any of the teenage boys. We have a Freddie and a Karl, and there's really no point to them.

HROK?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#45most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 11:59am

Yes, in WSS, Velma was Graziella's friend, Graziella was with Riff,making Velma a tad more pointless. The line was "oobli-oo" and that's basically all she ever said, Graziella said a tad more.

Also in WSS, don't exactly remember the Shark's name but my friend played a Shark who's only line in the whole show was during the meeting at Doc's, he said Wop.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Yankeefan007
#46most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 1:42pm

i agree with the grease thing.....we had eugene play the roll very....gay...and had him dance with all the male characters during the hand jive scene.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#47most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 1:49pm

The waiter in Pinter's Betrayal

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#48most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 2:15pm

Don't forget that there's a difference between a small part and a superfluous one: Snow White and Sleeping Beauty serve a purpose in INTO THE WOODS because their presence leads the two Princes astray from their wives.

My vote goes to Elaine in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.
She walks on, says a few lines, stands around, pushes Marie offstage.

I agree -- Elaine is a wholly superfluous character who is actually a detriment to the show. If her character were cut from the musical, there'd be a stronger focus on the relationship between George and Marie. Elaine disrupts the parallel between the two acts (unless she's Louis' counterpart, but that's strange and doesn't work).

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#49most superfluous character
Posted: 4/16/05 at 3:05pm

Brooklyn in Brooklyn - Whether or not she's there, I don't think the plot would change.

Videos