Hairspray Movie

QHDramaQueen
#25re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:01pm

I in fact did see the movie version and adored Devine, and I thought Harvy was very gifted in maintaining som of Devine's aspects on the role. I would be open to other Edna's, its just that I think John Travolta is a bad idea for the role. And Justin is a disaster waiting to happen.

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#26re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:02pm

why even waste your money to make this sucky musical a movie?

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#27re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:04pm

I wasn't saying that the casting was bad for Chicago, I was saying that the movie was fantastic and brought something new to the table. Movies like Hairspray and The Producers will be probably just be imitations of what happened on the stage, with no room for interpretation or creativity.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#28re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:05pm

Because are people will pay money to see it?

It opened in 2002 and last week it had a 90% audience attendance. Duh!

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#29re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:08pm

You guys are never going to be happy, are you? If Marissa is in the movie, you'll complain because you like Kathy Briar better or vice/versa. If Harvey isn't cast, than you say the movie is going to suck and you refuse to see it because Harvey is absolutely the only person on earth who could ever make this role work and it's just disgusting he's not doing it.

Why don't you just wait until it comes out and go see it before you give yourselves a stroke over the casting.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

pab Profile Photo
pab
#30re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:08pm

"I wasn't saying that the casting was bad for Chicago, I was saying that the movie was fantastic and brought something new to the table. Movies like Hairspray and The Producers will be probably just be imitations of what happened on the stage, with no room for interpretation or creativity."

So what?

Because you have access to seeing those shows on Broadway, other people in USA and in other countries don't so why deny them the opportunity to see them? You can stay at home when those movies come out or go back to Broadway and see them again. You have that choice.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#31re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:14pm

Ohhh yes! This is why theatre gets such a bad name...because everyone on this board is so anal! As much as you all think that YOU are right, I think that I am right. There is no reason to try and prove yourself to me..I could care less about what you have to say. There's no point in arguing something just for the sake of arguing.

What I was TRYING to say, and what I will continue to say is: regardless of what "people will pay to see", these unoriginal movie musicals will continue to be uninspired and will show a lack of creativity. That's all! It's just my opinion..after all, isn't that what this website is for?? :-P

#32re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:15pm

So let me see if I have this straight: This board wants the entire cast of the Broadway show to recreate their roles exactly as performed on opening night and we want the film to be a new interpretation, different from what was presented on stage?

While I am no fan of John Travolta, he can sing, he can dance, he can act, he sells movies tickets-- sounds like he's got the job. And as far as casting for Link, sorry Matt Morrison fans, but a card board cut out could play that part.

And which is it gang? Did the box office go in the toilet when Harvey left or is it still selling tickets? Look at it this way: The Movie of Hairspray will probably sell more tickets in it's opening weekend than the musical has sold on Broadway to date. You have to make adjustments!

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#33re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:18pm

"we want the film to be a new interpretation, different from what was presented on stage?"

yes....maybe you people have bad taste in film, or are uneducated as to what makes a "good film". How is a copy of a Broadway show put right onto the Big screen any good?

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#34re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:18pm

Sure a cardboard cut out could play Link, but I don't think Justin Timberlake can.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#35re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:22pm

Well you know what they say: An opinion is like an asshole, everyone has one.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#36re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:23pm

and everyone thinks everybody elses stinks.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

pab Profile Photo
pab
#37re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:24pm

You got that right. LOL

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#38re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:49pm

"Couldn't they have someone at least a little chubby play the role? . . ."

Did you see Travolta in the "Fat Actress" premiere? Unless something has changed, I don't think they will have to pad him out that much to fit into Edna's dress!!

". . . POP . . ."

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#39re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:02pm

Broadway Betty - John Goodman as Edna... I love it!!

anyway... like it or not I think the John Travolta thing is going to happen. I have a friend who is close to the film and he told me last week it was almost a done deal. He seems to think that John is perfect for the role and after talking to my friend I felt better about it.

We will see!

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#40re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:24pm

i can't see John Travolta in the role but i guess we will just have to wait and see. As for timberlake, i can easily see why they cast him.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#41re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:27pm

Maybe, because we do have an iside to this, we should wait for Mr. Shiaman to tell us the real deal.

Marc.......?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#42re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:31pm

I would personally like to see John Goodman in the role, too. I thought he would have made a good replacement for Harvey. It would especially be funny if they could do something in the movie version of the musical where the Edna actor also plays a male minor character (like Divine did).

". . . POP . . ."

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#43re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:34pm

i'm not a fan of justin in the role... i'm not a fan of justin at all. i can't stand him. so i'm hoping he's not in it cuz i was looking forward to this movie.

::bust a move::

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#44re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:47pm

LoL everyone is whining but I bet money that they'll all buy a ticket and see it....

QHDramaQueen
#45re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:54pm

oh wow I could so see John Goodman as Edna!

gretchenrose Profile Photo
gretchenrose
#46re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:57pm

Hey kids...first of all, I jut want to say that Broadway86...I love your cast. Sounds fun.

Just wondering, did anyone see Justin Timberlake on SNL? Becuase I personally though he was pretty funny and could handle his own with the cast of SNL...ps, that was last season when there were funny sketches...anyway, I just thought I'd ask...bc most people say they hate Timberlake just because, and not many have seen him act...PLEASE don't judge him on Model Behavior... :)
RENT Pics!!

http://www.one.org

stylinbohemian
#47re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 6:12pm

Justin Timberlake you're kidding me right!? ick!

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#48re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:16pm

I'm sorry that I was kinda bitchy earlier on this thread, I will go to this movie many times because I love Hairspray. If Marc has ok'd it, I'm sure JT will do a fine job. But I'd like to see John Goodman in this role. If not in the movie, then in the stage production. I don't know about you guys but I like my Ednas big, funny, and with croaky voices. I think JG would be hysterical!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#49re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:18pm

Well, everyone said that Justin wouldn't make it as a solo artist either, and he proved them wrong. Granted, I'm not as emotionally attached to Hairspray the musical movie than I am to other shows, but still give him a chance.

I could claim that no one could be Tracy but Ricki Lake and Harvey will never measure up to Divine. It would be the same thing as the "nobody but the OBC" arguments.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 07:18 PM

Videos