pixeltracker

Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!- Page 2

Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#25LW is finished
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:07pm

I was so looking forward to the Little Women CD, but when I finally got it and listened to I was rather disappointed. IMHO it is a VERY boring CD. I don't want to say that the actual show is boring, as I've never seen it, but it has to be better then the CD.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#26LW is finished
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:34pm

Question, Can a show like LW close even after they have sold tickets past a certain date. In other words I have tickets for LW in June, is it possible that they will close the show before I have seen it; even though I have tickets?

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#27LW is finished
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:57pm

of course they can -- you will simply get a refund...

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

Luke0827
#28LW is finished
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:58pm

Yes a show can close even when tickets have been sold for a performance in the future. The cost of the tickets is refunded to the purchaser.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:01pm

The producers of BROOKLYN weren't resting on their laurels. They knew the show wasn't going to be a favorite with Tony voters, and they have shown this week to be incredibly savvy with their multiple exposure deals with Delta and Movietunes. They will reach a much bigger audience than the Tony Awards ever would have for their show.

I expect BROOKLYN might stick around for a while -- at the very least through the summer.

LITTLE WOMAN I think will close by July 4th.

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#30LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:03pm

If the show closes, will the tour go on as planned? Eventhough the CD is boring to me, I still wanted to see the show on stage.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#31LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:06pm

Depends on how much interest the road producers express in a tour. One of the reasons the announced WONDERFUL TOWN didn't happen was that the road producers couldn't sell the show with Lucie Arnez. I somehow doubt that Maureen McGovern is going to sell many more tickets than Lucie Arnez, but the title is perhaps more familiar in middle America.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#32LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:08pm

I think it is terrible that "Little Women" did not get any nominations other than the one for Sutton Foster. In the midst of shows that are more about spectacle, I think a beautiful, quiet show like "Little Women" deserved more than that. However, even without the Tony nominations, I think it may last through the tourist season.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:26pm

Saw Little Women - OK but not great . Did not see Brooklyn.

Both should close shortly.

Poster Emeritus

MargoChanning
#34LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:37pm

Well, I'd hardly call Piazza or Spelling Bee shows that were "more about spectacle" yet they received 17 nominations between them. And while Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (with it's 11 nominations) is fairly large in scale, it's less a spectacle than a comedic character study.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Juliet2170 Profile Photo
Juliet2170
#35LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:55am

aw man i'm really disappointed LW's having such a hard time. i have yet to see it and i finally have free time but no money until june. is it really that close to closing?

i saw Brooklyn, it's okay and i think the low production costs in comparison to LW will probably make it last longer but whether it deserves to last longer than LW...

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#36LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:11am

This makes me sad. I am currently listening to little women cast recording for the first time, and while its not an amazing score, it makes me realise how much I enjoyed that show.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#37LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:20am

I really love the songs from LW, and I'd be sad if it closed before the summer, since I haven't gotten the chance to see it yet. BKLYN on the other hand... I saw it twice, once for free and the other time for $26 rush tickets. If it closed, I wouldn't be too heartbroken.

I'm not saying that I WANT certain shows to close, but look at it this way. Shows that aren't so great close, and really good ones replace them! Also, the actors and actresses that are in the not-so-good shows (such as BKLYN) can get their chance to shine elsewhere.

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#38LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:34am

I think it's a horrible statement to say, "Well, they chose this profession..they knew what they were getting themseleves into. These jobs are not permanent and they knew that." I mean, c'mon..that's what the actors get from their fans? Thanks for entertaining us and sharing your talent, but tough luck, you may be out of a job REAL soon, and I don't feel sorry for you. Call me crazy, but it's just plain mean!

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#39LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 1:39pm

I look at it from the buisness point of view: If the show isnt making enough money it has to close. No matter how great the cast is, not matter how loyal the fans are, no matter how much the potential- it just has to close. It sucks, yes- but it happens.

The producers of a would rather keep it open if it was profitable and make money... but if it isnt, then there is a point when they have to look past their heart and take a peep inside their wallet.

#40LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 2:29pm

I don't normally play spelling police but the "Loser/Looser" thing drives me nuts!

LOSER= Not the winner, or the one showing a decrease. "All the shows sold less tickets this week, but Brooklyn was the biggest loser." OR "Even if Brooklyn had been nominated for a Tony, it would certainly end up as the Loser."

LOOSER= Less tight. As in "I lent Star Jones my Capri Pants and now they are much Looser."

Thank you. I will go back to overlooking spelling & Grammar errors now.

Juliet2170 Profile Photo
Juliet2170
#41LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 3:28pm

lol Joe i was totally thinking that the entire time too!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#42LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 5:30pm

I guess I should try to see LW when in New York in a week. Saw Brooklyn twice in Denver. Having not seen any of the nominated musicals yet I can't compare. But I will say that after seeing Brooklyn before it got to B'way, I know I enjoyed it but thought it wasn't going to win any Tony's. Although I hoped that the costumes would have at least been nominated. They were inventive and pretty cool. But I am glad that they took it to B'way and gave it a shot because it was their dream while here in Denver. And as much as I enjoyed the music, I really don't care for the live recording. I wish they had done a traditional studio recording.

Just give the world Love.

Mimi Imfurst
#43LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 6:20pm

i have to say that i saw both LW (recently) and BKLN (last nite) and there were far more people at Little Women than Brooklyn. (Far less than Taboo- still dont understand that!!) Anyhow, Brooklyn wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Sure its a was a little plastic and a little unbelievable(using little loosely here) but it has a far cheaper cost of running that LW. It's low cost may keep it alive through the summer- Tourist Season.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#44LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 6:25pm

I met a Little Women orchestra member this week--
Me: I really enjoyed the show.
Him: REALLY? Why?

So... If even the employees are public about disliking the show...

PS--he said Sutton is very sweet and just as adorable in person.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 06:25 PM

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#45LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 6:43pm

i just hope that sutton is quickly cast in something else if LW closes so that we all have the opportunity to go and see her.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#46LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 6:46pm

Margo- You're right, the only show up with spectacle is "Spamalot". However, what I was trying to say is that there are few shows on Broadway like "Little Women," which require people to think, and are beautiful stories.

Midtowngym- I met Sutton at the 92nd St. Y, and she was a sweetheart!

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

Broadway Style Profile Photo
Broadway Style
#47LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 7:51pm

Is Sutton still considered a hot theater commodity in producer's eyes (assuming she was after Millie and her Tony win) even though Little Women is obviously not doing so hot?

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 07:51 PM

Plum
#48LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 8:58pm

It's a crowded field, Ruth Sherwood. Not every show that's nice gets a nomination in a year with so many musicals.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#49LITTLE WOMEN will close before BROOKLYN
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:19pm

"i have to say that i saw both LW (recently) and BKLN (last nite) and there were far more people at Little Women than Brooklyn. (Far less than Taboo- still dont understand that!!)"

Little Women papered more than 50% of the house last week.
Brooklyn didn't.

Videos