pixeltracker

Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!

Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#0Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:13am

After reading yesterday's abysmal box office reciepts and today's Tony nomination shut outs, I don't see these two shows lasting very much longer.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Jon
#1re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:15am

Hopefully this means no more screaming Eden Espinoza popping up on TV.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:16am

Little Women's in a complete different league from Brooklyn. It'll last at least until Sutton leaves, if not longer because of the appeal of the story. Brooklyn is just bad.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

cate_w
#3re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:17am

It really is so sad that Little Women was pretty much shut out. They deserved so much more. I enjoyed it a lot more than Spamalot and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels! I hope they can hang on! It is such a great show!

Derek
#4re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:46am

I hate seeing shows are closing...I dont know, some people prolly like brooklyn (im one of them)...and I just hate seeing actors losing their jobs...I hope both shows make it at least through the summer..re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!....well Sutton at least was nominated...hey, who knows?

MargoChanning
#5re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:50am

Actually, Little Women has been doing worse that Brooklyn at the box office for the last couple of months. It also has a much higher weekly running cost to make. If anything, Foster or no Foster, LW is in more danger of closing that Brooklyn (quality be damned).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Speed
#6re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:55am

Remember Derek.... if shows don't close, we can never have NEW shows. A show closing can often pave the way for MORE actors to get work. Brooklyn and Little Women both have small casts. If they close, perhaps a larger cast of actors can get jobs in the next show at those theaters. And remember the actors in Brooklyn and LW couldn't get their jobs unless Taboo and Little Shop closed. It's all cyclical. No reason to feel sorry for actors who chose a business in which nothing is permanent.

OnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
#7re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:05am

Say it ain't so, Margo... My kids are gonna be heartbroken if they can't see LW on 5/29... (reminds me of when I had tickets to see "Little Me" with Faith, and they closed the week before we were supposed to go)...

"Not a day goes by..."

Derek
#8re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:06am

true true :)...its just sad...I wish every show could be on boadway lol

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#9re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:08am

Mmm. I think both shows will hold on through May, at least. So, OnTheAisle, I think your tickets are safe. Were those tickets for JUNE 29th, I'd be worried.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#10re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:13am

Brooklyn should close. As for Little Women, I wish that it can hold on throughout the summer, it really is a well put together musical. OntheAisle, you should have nothing to worry about, Iam sure Little Women will not close until after the Tonys.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

MargoChanning
#11re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:13am

We shall see. Every single year there's shake out around Tony time -- right after nominations are announced and also right after the awards themselves. Some shows will hold on losing money for months in the hope of getting a boost at the box office from the Tonys. When they get overlooked (and realize they won't get any free national exposure from the Tony telecast), the producers oftentimes have no choice but to close the show.

Little Women, Brooklyn, Glass Menagerie and Steel Magnolias have all struggled for months from very low attendance and won't be getting any help from the Tonys (LW got one nod and the others were completely shut out), so we'll see how much longer they hold on.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#12re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:16am

This has nothing to do with "brooklyn" straight foward but, you who started the thread, obviously you are not a TRUE theater fan. Because anyone who wishes for a show to close,actors to be out of work really does not understand the true appreciation for live theater. Jobs are SO hard to come by and hoping these actors get better jobs is a nice thought but, since there is so little for them right now.. comments like this "a show SHOULD close" or "WILL CLOSE" when you don't know the real facts about figures are just not needed for ANY show.

ticenewyorkcity Profile Photo
ticenewyorkcity
#13re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:21am

AMNERIS

i couldn't agree more. SO nice to hear that theatre fan's want actors to loose their jobs.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#14re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:29am

whoa ..... amneris, where in my post did I say I WISHED, HOPED or AM HAPPY either one of these shows SHOULD close???? I chose to leave my personal opinions for both of these shows outta the picture.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 5/10/05 at 10:29 AM

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#15re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:39am

Little Women might see a bump in box office with Sutton's nomination. They will at least hold on to see if she wins before posting a closing notice.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#16re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:47am

brooklyn may close June 12th

ashley0139
#17re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:48am

I am so happy Sutton was nominated. Well deserved. Hopefully it will hang on. Does this mean that LW will not get to perform anything at the Tonys? Or will they since Sutton was nominated.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#18re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:51am

EUGH!

I hate these people "But actors loose there jobs..."

IT HAPPENS! Shows close all the time!!...if they are good actors they will go onto to more...and if show is flopping constantly...better shows.

musicjunkieg
#19re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:54am

As a person who truly does enjoy Brooklyn, here is what I have to say to all of you who continually down it and the performers in it:

Brooklyin is one of the ONLY original musicals on Broadway this year. All of the others are either based off of something else that has been written or done, or a simply revivals of an older piece. In a time where creativity is being stifled by our government, I salute Brooklyn.

I also believe that when people knock Eden Esponiosa for her voice, they are simply afraid of something that they don't understand, or are simply following slightly jaded theatre critic Ben Brantley blindly. In every show I have seen Eden in, she has been perfectly on pitch, singing higher than anyone else, without sacrificing most of the warmth and emotion that goes with her music. And remember folks, she didn't write it, she only sings it.

Continuing down this vein, the acting abilities of Cleavant Derricks, a TONY winner, and Ramona Keller, are extremely superb. Both of their performances are extremely moving and, I believe, Tony-worthy.

Sometimes I believe that people who call themselves theatre lovers are loveers of a specific type of theatre - elitists, if you will. THe only thing I can't stand is bad acting or singing. I saw very little of it in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a show witha simple, pure plot that makes no pretensions about what it is, music that is catchy and will eb remembered, a show that has brilliant costume and set design, is fully presentational, and yet, somehow, we buy into it, and leave the show feeling satisfied, if we, the theatregoers, allow ourselves to buy the conventions. If we cannot, it is more of a fault of our inabilities than those of the play.

Don't be afraid to examine new works an how they achieve what they achieve, and respect them for that, even if you may not particularly enjoy them.

ashley0139
#20re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 11:13am

RYANWOODS- I disagree. While it may happen all the time, I never wish for shows to close. It's true that the actors lose their jobs and I hate to see so many talented people, not just actors, lose their jobs.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Jon
#21re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 11:26am

musicjunkieg - being "original" has nothing to do with quality. If you go down the lis of the most popular and successful musicals in history, you'll see that the vast majority of them were based on previously existing material - from SHOWBOAT to OKLAHOMA, SOUTH PACIFIC, GUYS AND DOLLS, HELLO DOLLY, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, CHICAGO, LES MIZ, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, CATS, et cetera, et ectera.

cathyhyatt
#22re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 11:57am

little women is just as bad as brooklyn in my opinion..

at LEAST the music in brooklyn is enjoyable..seriously I'd rather listen to it...I didn't even purchase the little women soundtrack. the only good song is "astonishing".

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Starchild Profile Photo
Starchild
#23re: Bye Bye Brooklyn & Little Women!
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:25pm

You don't have to like either musical, but it's really not necessary to make a posting celebrating the demise of these shows. If you don't like them, don't go see them. And don't pretend that the snarky posting thread "Bye Bye BKLYN and LW" isn't just that.

I am WAY older that 20, have seen BKLYN 4 times, will see it again, and am sorry that the things which were done well in the show were not given due appreciation, such as costume design and the role played by Ramona Keller at the bare minimum. And no amount of backlash on this site (or any other) will change that fact. so have at it. Signed, BKLYNluvr (for the BKLYN fan site posters)

VB: Mr. Wonka, my name is Violet Beauregard... WW: I don't care.

Luke0827
#24LW is finished
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:57pm

It would take an absolute miracle to stop this show from shuttering -- and soon. It's is a big time money loser, and there's no reason to think that it would survive the summer. There's some great talent on stage at the Virginia, but unfortunately the material the actors are given simply doesn't measure up.

Videos