pixeltracker

"Dont Rain On My Parade" Who sang it first?- Page 2

"Dont Rain On My Parade" Who sang it first?

#25re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:42am

Loved the La Ross and the Rodgers and Hart album...almost as much as "We Remember Sam Cooke."

#26re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:47am

There's a small hotel...

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#27re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:04am

Latoya from AI was the best that season (and this season..Ha)..she was great on this song!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

#28re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:12am

Latoya needs to change that name...maybe to Jermajesty.

Gothampc
#29re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:21am

Carol Burnett was at one point being considered for Fanny. Do you think she ever took a stab at it in a rehearsal room?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

MargoChanning
#30re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:25am

Maybe a stab, but she certainly didn't/doesn't have the range to pull it off.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#31re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 5:23am

"You really need a Jewish girl for this." --- Carol Burnett to Ray Stark regarding FUNNY GIRL.

Wise words to remember whenever anyone suggests Sutton Foster(or any girl like her) for the role.

Garland also performed "The Music That Makes Me Dance", but I'm not sure offhand if it was on a later episode of her TV show in in a later concert...

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 05:23 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#32re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 6:08am

Okay in defense of Diana and The Girls I have to say that the "FUNNY GIRL" concept album they recorded was pure crap, but the "Sing Rodgers and Hart" album was/is a beautiful album!
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 06:08 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:00am

Yes, Marquise, it was. And I listened to it before I started listening to Ella's songbooks, even though they had been recorded previously. So it was the Supremes who introduced me to the Great American Songbook.

Master--Judy sang "The Music That Makes Me Dance" at that same Palladium concert. I can check with (your pal) Fricke, but I believe that Judy herself came up with the song list and running order for that concert with Liza, so maybe it was after enjoying Barbra (who had appeared the previous year on Judy's TV show) in Funny Girl.

There were a bunch of Broadway shows that Judy saw multiple times in the late 50s and early 60s, starting with Gypsy and including, of course, Mame.

Updated On: 5/24/05 at 08:00 AM

#34re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:10am

I'm really not a fan of MAME (can't stand the book - like most of the music) but I think it's a shame that Garland didn't get to do it.

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#35re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:07am

To jump on the unusual name threadjacking, I think my best acting may have been keeping a straight face when giving a college tour. Admissions Counselor introduced the student: "This is Sandy Beach."

To get back on topic, where does one find a recording of the Judy & Liza "Parade" performance? Is it on Judy's Palladium recording?

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#36re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:09am

I think it might be safe to assume that Jule Styne or Bob Merrill were the first to sing the song.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 10:09 AM

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#37re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:26am

Jermajesty ...

Thats it, I am naming my first born that.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#38re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:36am

I know a kid named Justin Case. Not even joking. He always says his parents are "mean, mean people" when asked about it. There was also a girl named Rose Bushey who went to my school.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#39re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:51am

I went to school with a girl named Krystal Glass.

And then, a doctor friend nearly fell out when, whilst working in an emergency room, a mother yelled at her unruly child with the following:

"If you don't calm down, Spatula, I'm gonna make you sorry."

Spatula.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#40re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:02pm

Ladies and Gentlemen.... Miss Ima Hogg.

Ima Hogg

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 12:02 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#41re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:20pm

I love the SUPREMES SING FUNNY GIRL ALBUM! It is camp heaven. Every single song starts with the same vamped piece of music - ("Who is the Chick with Pizazzaz") Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum -- "Hey!"

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#42re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:09pm

Best name I ever encountered. When I took her credit card (I was working retail), her name was SD Jones.
So I asked for her driver's license...and her first name was SH*Tra.
Pronounced just like you would expect it.

Videos