Ok, Grease!!

Buscee
#25re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:55pm

I have to agree with you Matt. I saw it in London too. It was more an audience show with the audience acting more like they were attending the Rocky Horror Show. I do like however You'RE the One That I want, Hopelessly Devoted Too You...I do prefer Alone At The Drive in.. better

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#26re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:37pm

Why are there so many differences bettween the original and the European version?

Buscee
#27re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:07pm

The London production got permission to supplement the original score with the movie songs. They moved the numbers to the places they were in the movie. For instance in the play Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee was sung by Rizzo in the park at the end of Act One. In London they moved it to the sleep over scene like in the movie. It also opens the show with Danny and Sandy sing "Sandy" before going into the song "Grease".

BroadwayBaby21
#28re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:49pm

I like it. As said before, the movie is WAY different from the stage version, but yeah.
I'm actually in Grease right now in a community theatre, and I'm really starting to like the stage version... especially the song "All Choked Up" True, I still love "You're the One that I Want", but All Choked Up is good as well! What do you all think?

-If you don't like your fate, change it. You are your own master.- Aida

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#29re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:55pm

Love the movie hate the stage version, Olvia Newton- John and John Travolta are the only people who could ever play Sandy and Danny in my heart. And that chick who played Frenchie.
But Grease two, the worst movie ive ever seen, and Ive seen Shark Attack 3, Blood Murder, Gigli, Honey, Catwoman, Glitter, and A Night "In" Paris Hilton.

Buscee
#30re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:53am

Yes John and Olivia were perfect, but not the original choices for the roles. They wanted Henry Winkler for Danny, and Deborah Raffin or Susan Dey for Sandy. Lucie Arnaz was the only person they considered for Rizzo, but she didnt want to do a screen test.

One Song Glory
#31re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:59am

I like Grease. Just saw it on TV yesterday. I'm not sure what my favorite song is though.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

Urban
#32re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:16am

I have the 1994 London Cast Recording with Craig McLachlan and Debbie Gibson. Suprisingly pretty good even though the rifting at the end of "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee (Reprise)" always makes me crack up.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#33re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:24am

The stage production was definatly not as good as the movie.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#34re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 11:35am

The stage and movie versions are very different, I recently got the Grease reivival with Rosie, all I can say is "Why?!!!"

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#35re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 2:45pm

I love Grease. My favorite song would have to be "summer lovin". When I did it, I was disappointed that the song "Your the One that I Want" wasnt in it, but o well.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#36re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 2:59pm

The movie ruined a beautiful piece of camp. When done right, the stage version is far superior than the movie. The first and biggest mistake you can make is trying to take the stage version seriously and turning it into the movie.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

jam_man
#37re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 3:08pm

Is this a "HOT OR NOT" thread in disguise?

In any case, my vote is for NOT. I can take some of the movie at a time, but that's about it.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#38re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 3:09pm

re: Ok, Grease!!

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#39re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:45pm

"The movie ruined a beautiful piece of camp. When done right, the stage version is far superior than the movie."

True but I have yet to see a stage production that captures that spirit! Too often the casts try to do it like a cartoon greatly exaggerating all the lines and killing what little humour there is in the piece.

People forget that GREASE came along before AMERICAN GRAFITTI and HAPPY DAYS. The latter pair played it straight - making it even funnier and that was more or less the way they did the film of GREASE.

Trouble is, most kids whio know the movie expect the stage version to be the same and when it isn't they start putting in the extra songs from the film and re-writing the script. This only confuses the styles and creates an uneven mishmash.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos