Q or Spelling?

MargoChanning
#25re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:03pm

Personally, I found Spelling Bee to be much funnier than Q, so that's what I would recommend.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#26re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:04pm

Go with Q! The cast now is better than it's ever been!

Fosse76
#27re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:07pm

"Personally, I found Spelling Bee to be much funnier than Q, so that's what I would recommend."

Personally that;s what I think too, but before I moved to Manhattan, I would see shows that I didn't think would tour because I knew I could see the tour and get pretty much the same show (I've never been of the "I must see so-and-so in this show" variety, though now that I live in New York I'm like that). So I reccommended "Q" instead. By the time they can tour it, no one will care about it.

BroadwayB!tch Profile Photo
BroadwayB!tch
#28re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:34pm

AVEUNE Q!!!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#29re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:45pm

They are both very good shows. Avenue Q, IMO, is more of a complete musical. There were not any songs from Bee that I left the show singing because most of them tended not to be complete songs but situation music hence some people's problem with the OBCR. This did not take anything away from Bee because the book for the show is quite strong. You would just have to realize that they are just different kinds of shows. I would suggest you decide what you like in musicals and then take everything that has been suggested here before you make your decision.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#30re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:55pm

I'd see Spelling Bee, because a) it's Original Cast and b) it probably won't run as long as Q...

Kicks8567
#31re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 3:57pm

I'd say Bee because you can see the OBC, while Q's OBC has already left. Q will be around for quite some time and if you have the CD, then there is not too much extra int eh show because the OBCR gievs away 95% of the jokes.

#32re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 4:32pm

I'd go with "Avenue Q" it's my favorite of the two, though both are very good!
~~EM~~

jeffmarx Profile Photo
jeffmarx
#33re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 5:52pm

Definitely Q. I liked Spelling Bee a lot, but I LOVE Q.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#34re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:01pm

LOL!
re: Q or Spelling?

#35re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:03pm

Spelling Bee

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#36re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:06pm

Where is Bill Finn?
LOL!
re: Q or Spelling?

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#37re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:14pm

"Definitely Q. I liked Spelling Bee a lot, but I LOVE Q."

As well you should Mr.Marx re: Q or Spelling?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#38re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:17pm

As everyone knows, I love Q.
But I also love Bee!

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#39re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 6:27pm

Bee is going on tour? I find that odd... just cause.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#40re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 7:15pm

For those of you thinking that Q has weakened because the original cast is no longer there, think again. I saw Q again two weeks ago and it was as good (if not better) than the first time that I had seen it.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#41re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 8:22pm

Most of the original cast still remains.
I have seen Q, five times in the theater and numerous other times at outdoor concerts.
It gets better each time.
Foa rocks!
See it before Stephanie gets cast in I Love You Because or something else. She is incredible. Updated On: 8/13/05 at 08:22 PM

Fosse76
#42re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:50pm

"Bee is going on tour? I find that odd... just cause."

Yes. They announced it right before the Tony's. I don't believe it has started booking yet. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt it to a proscenium stage.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:11am

Take my word for it PLEASE and see Spelling Bee.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#44re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:14am

Better idea,
Stay an extra day and see both.

BrdwyBnd2005
#45re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:17am

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ! ... See it.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#46re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:19am

Great, now we have to look at this whole page while scrolling across the bottom to see what everyone said.

Fosse76
#47re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 1:06am

If it were me, I would see "Q" because I know I could see "Spelling Bee" when it tours. If "Bee" weren't touring, I would definitely see it instead. I think both shows are great, but even though both are comedies I think "Spelling Bee" is a bit more poignant and definitely has more heart.

jacco
#48re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 10:23am

Wonderful.........now you've got me even more confused. You all seem to have VERY strong opinions. And the consensus seems to be that you love both shows, with a slight preference for Q. HOWEVER, since Q is coming to the UK next year and I go to London quite often, I think I'm going to see the Original West-End cast of Q and will try to get SRO tickets for the original Broadway cast of Spelling Bee next weekend. I hope it will cheer me up after the disappointment of not seeing Victoria Clark in Light. I'm sure it will. I've got both cast albums and like them both, so this was a tough choice.

And about Forbidden Broadway? I sn*ed a few times, but that show was trying TOO hard to be funny. and most of the jokes feld tired to me. It was like watching a mid-night comedy show on a cruise ship for me (I might offend people here....). Just not my cup of tea.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#49re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:06pm

I have only heard Q. Didn't care for it and don't think that seeing it would change my mind. I have seen "Spelling Bee" and loved it. See Spelling Bee.

Just give the world Love.

Videos