Q or Spelling?

jacco
#0Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:02am

Have 1 option left for my NY trip next weekend. will see Light and DRS, so the choice now seems to be between Avenue Q and Spelling Bee. Which show would you recommend to someone who loved Urinetown and Hairspray, but hated The Producers and Forbidden Broadway? Tough decision....please advise.

filmgirl325 Profile Photo
filmgirl325
#1re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:10am

Q!!

"It's the smile you smile that counts, happy thoughts in large amounts, any problem you can trounce, you can bounce right back."--Donald O'Connor

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#2re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:34am

Avenue Q

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#3re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:41am

Q - most definitely

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#4re: Q or Spelling?

I'm VERY partial to Q, but I feel that it's better to see Q anyway because it's almost what a show like Spelling Bee branches off from with some of the topics...Go for Q, and if not, have fun anyway! If you see Bee you'll love it too. :)

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

DefyingPopular
#5re: Q or Spelling?

I'd say Spelling Bee.... Altho I did enjoy Q. They're totally different shows, so i mean... it's really a matter of what type of humor they'd prefer.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#6re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:54am

That is a very hard choice. I loved both.
If I had to choose though, it would be Q!
But, Spelling Bee is adorable. Dan Fogler won my heart with his magic foot.
re: Q or Spelling?

#7re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:02am

Q- I saw both back to back.. I liked Bee and both are clever, but Q is a more complete show.

jefflang007
#8re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:07am

haven't seen it but, the cd of spelling sucks, how can one compare chalk and cheese!

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#9re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:07am

See Q! It won't tour...

Bee is already planing one!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#10re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:09am

But you hated Forbidden Broadway.
I am at a loss for words.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#11re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:27am

I'd pick Spelling Bee. I remember laughing harder and enjoying myself more at Bee. Although, I did love Avenue Q.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#12re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:34am

Q

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#13re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:09am

Avenue Q is more laugh out loud funny while Spelling Bee is more endearing and chuckle kind of funny.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

worrell4077
#14re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:09am

Avenue Q

jstabwaybabi Profile Photo
jstabwaybabi
#15re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:27am

this wednesday im going into the city to see a show cause its my birthday, and my mom and i are trying to ave Q lottery before we try spelling bee lottery...Ave Q def.

i trust my soul...my only goal is just to be.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#16re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:45am

Just a commentary on laughs! re: Q or Spelling?

As far as laughs are concerned, Everyone has a different opinion as to which is funnier. However, Laughs can hinder the show. I know when I took four people who had never heard of Q to see it. They couldn't understand a lot of the jokes due to the fact that the audience was already laughing at them before they happened because everyone loves the recording. However, Bee on the other hand is BOOK Heavy. The songs are not as funny as the book so...the recording doesn't give too much away. Everyone (except die hard fans) is coming in new to the show and are able to understand it better.

But I still stand on my first response.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#17re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:46am

Forget the lottery for Spelling Bee, go for SRO!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#18re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 12:05pm

I'd say Q, but I'm a crazy Q~tip
although Spelling Bee is adorable and really good too
I don't know if this will help but Q is basically R rated and Bee is basically PG rated as far as humour content

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#19re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 12:06pm

I think I'm one of the only people who wasn't floored by Spelling Bee. I liked Q a LOT more - I'd say go with that. I laughed so much more, and I think it's just far more clever.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#20re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 12:08pm

Q was good and all, but the best time I have had at a musical since Urinetown was at Spelling Bee. Get SRO tickets. It is the funniest thing you will see all year. Trust me!

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Phantom487
#21re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 2:08pm

Why did you hate Forbidden Broadway??????

Blair
#22re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 2:37pm

Spelling Bee is original cast. Avenue Q is not. You can always see more replacement casts since Q will most likely be around for a while, but this is probably the only time you'll be able to see the original cast of Spelling Bee.

I love both, but I say Spelling Bee.

Fosse76
#23re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 2:42pm

See "Q", since it won't have a national tour. "Bee" will be touring next year.

Bal
#24re: Q or Spelling?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 2:51pm

You know, I love Avenue Q, but I recommend Spelling Bee. I enjoyed myself way more at the latter, especially since a lot of the OBC was looking kind of bored when I saw Q...

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88

Videos