pixeltracker

Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!- Page 2

Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#25re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:16pm

HOLY POOP!!!
I never saw the face, at first I thought it was some type of Vietnam symbol, then a heli, now a face!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#26re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:17pm

If I remember correctly, some of the original TV commercials actually showed real footage of a silhouetted helicopter in front of a sun, then overlayed the logo on top of it. At least that made the helipcopter part more obvious at the time.

apdarcey
#27re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:30pm

a) i think this is funny because i've always known about both.

but b) to those of you who think it's a symbol. there is a vietnamese character in the logo that carries some sort of significance to the show in that picture. this was said once by the creators of the musical because they had it included in the design, but it supposedly hard to spot and they have refused to say what it truly is.. common guesses are the usuals: truth, honor, love... once i heard it was actually the character for sun and moon. but let it be known, you all are right. there is a helicopter, face, and a meaningful vietnamese character (definition unknown)!

eatlasagna
#28re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:44pm

i really think you guys should watch THE HEAT IS ON IN SAIGON... it's on DVD too... with the making of miss saigon.. you can see a very young lea salonga audition for KIM and see the creators and director fall in love with her... awww... anyways... there's a section on the creation of the logo... you can see all the really BAD designs they used to have... well they mention how the graphic designer and cam macintosh wanted the face in there somewhere along with the helicopter... they originally had it in the sun in the background and then the graphic artis put it where it is now... they said the genius thing about the design is that once you see the helicopter and the face.. you'll always see it... anyways... such a great making of DVD of the show... could have been better but good nonetheless

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#29re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:48pm

so did I darcey......and I'm amused there are people who never saw the helicopter.....the face is harder, but the helicopter does everything except smack you in the face

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#30re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:26pm

Haha, I'd seen both of these things since I first saw the show, when I was 12! I noticed the face first, the helicopter kinda requires a bit more imagination.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

Ebonic_Singer
#31re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:55pm

Yeah--am I the only one who has always seen them as both?

timote316
#32re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:51pm

I never noticed the face, but I cant say I ever looked too hard, either. Very nice.

#33re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:00pm

wow thats so cool i never noticed that before! :) ya learn something new everyday! lol wow Im so hyper

Kristen_0509 Profile Photo
Kristen_0509
#34re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:23pm

That's sweet!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small compared to what lies within us..

Urban
#35re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:29pm

Vietnamese actually uses the Latin Alphabet (a legacy if decades of French Rule). Just a random factoid I thought you'd all enjoy.

I always saw the helicopter. I am suprised alot of other people did not. I remember when I first noticed the eyes I though I was so dumb for noticing it the first time. But saying that I did notice it pretty early on though.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#36re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:00am

I had always seen both the helicopter & the face, but it reminds me that just the other day after having seen it so many times, I finally realized that the logo for Martin Guerre is actually two faces. I had thought it was just a flaming cross!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#37re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:21am

When I was a teenager, I had the "Miss Saigon" poster over my desk for several years, and I don't think that it was until after several months of seeing it there that I was finally like, "Wait a minute--there's a face in there!" So I can relate.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#38re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:24am

wow i never noticed any of those

COOOOLkid
#39re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:27am

I can't see the face... Can someone tell me which direction she's looking at, where the eyes are, etc?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#40re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:57am

The face is to the right of the helicopter's body, but right above the fin.

I've always seen the helicopter (what else could it be? It's too blobby to be a Vietnamnese character), but it took me years to realize there's a face in there too. One of the best logos for a musical, ever.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

#41re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:13am

whoooaaa
i always saw the face, but never the helicopter

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#42re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 5:08am

I've always seen both - it did take me a little longer to notice the faces in the new Martin Guerre logo though. Incidently, if you turn the logo for the original Martin Guerre upsidedown, the stylised face turns into a man.

Dewynters are desgin geniuses!!

Urban
#43re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 8:13am

Now I feel like a twit. Can you help me with the faces in the Martin Guerre albums?

Kgshrauder Profile Photo
Kgshrauder
#44re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 9:49am

Wow that is cool. I always saw the helicoptor too, but never the face. Thanks!

It was 6 hours, I don't even like to have sex and eat bacon for 6 hours.
Freddy Benson- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Cape Twirl of Doom
#45re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:44pm

quote:
"Now I feel like a twit. Can you help me with the faces in the Martin Guerre albums?"

From the 1999 recording:
re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
The black spaces on the either side of the cross form two faces in silhouette. Neat! I don't know about the earlier album, I don't have that one.

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#46re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:07pm

I never noticed that about the Martin Guerre logo. When you posted this last night, I grabbed my program...and slapped myself because it now seems so obvious.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net
Updated On: 12/23/05 at 02:07 PM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#47re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:07pm

I'd always liked the logo, and had seen both. They reminded me of these types of pictures.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#48re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:11pm

My favorite instance of this is the cover art for the Toronto Cast Recording of Jane Eyre:

See? It's the tree and her face :)

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Cape Twirl of Doom
#49re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:35pm

Oh wow, I didn't see that Jane Eyre one til you pointed it out!

Videos