pixeltracker

Jason Robert Brown and Julia Murney; All I can say is WOW!!!- Page 2

Jason Robert Brown and Julia Murney; All I can say is WOW!!!

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#25re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:50pm

Actually, I was wondering which of the two versions of the show will be the best. Now, this does not count the one night only one (I can't go). But of the other two, which one will probably be the best.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#26re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:54pm

i'm newly in love with this musical, and would LOVE to see that!!

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#27re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/2/06 at 10:10pm

I was just on the Chance theater website and it says that
Jocelyn A. Brown will be playing Cathy and Bob Simpson will be playing Jamie. It did not say anything about JRB playing Jamie anywhere. Here is the website: www.chancetheater.com. Have fun whoever goes to this show, it is so good.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#28re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 12:06am

Blue, did you see the link for the Jason Robert Brown TL5Y? It's the very first posting in this thread. The upcoming Chance Theater production in Anaheim and the Pasadena Playhouse production this summer are two different versions. All I can say is WOW! Suddenly TL5Y fans are rewarded with three different chances to see the show.

JRB's version is a "concert" presentation at UCLA, but as the show is basically songs alternating between the two leads, that shouldn't be that much different from a real production.

The Chance Theater is an award winning 99-seat house in Anaheim. They do wonderful work, and make interesting edgy choices in their repetoire.

The Pasadena Playhouse is sure to put on a Broadway caliber production, at a higher ticket price.

So...Qman, if you can get down to Anaheim, see that one this coming month (1/2 price tix are already on sale at LA Stage Tix and Gold Star Events).
http://lastagealliance.com/lastagetixCalendar.asp?ShowList=1754
&
http://www.goldstarevents.com/events/browse/92704/all/event/6449.html

And if you like that one, then think about the Pasadena production this summer. The Playhouse also offers 1/2 price tickets through the same sites.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#29re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:03am

Yap I'm going too (Reprise and Pasadena)!

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#30re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 3:41am

I'll probably be at both productions (Reprise! and Pasadena Playhouse) as well. I like that Pasadena Playhouse is doing BOTH Last Five Years and I Do! I Do! with the same actors on different nights. It should be VERY interesting to see and I'd fly down there just to see it. :)

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#31re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 4:00am

Sheri, where did you hear/read that both shows will have the same cast? I've not read anything about that, though it makes sense logistically, if for no other reason. Yes, it's an intersting idea, however the skeptic in me wonders if it will diminish one or the other. The Last Five Years, to really work, needs young actors, in their 20s. I've seen it with 30somethings and with 20somethings, and believe me, there's a big difference. The show cries out for leads the same age as the characters (IMHO). I Do I Do, however, works best with actors well into their thirties at least, who can portray both the young newlyweds and the middle aged couple. I wonder what duo could satisfy me doing both shows...
Updated On: 1/3/06 at 04:00 AM

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#32re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 4:43am

Hi Steven - I read it in a recent flier that I received from Pasadena Playhouse. It's advertised as the Marriage Musicals with "Two actors alternating roles."

I can definitely see your concern about one diminishing the other, but I really feel that, if cast correctly, it could work. I know of many talented LA theatre performers who could very convincingly pass for twenty-something AND thirtysomething given the right material and roles. I love both shows and both scores and to me, the interesting aspect is going to be the ability to see both shows with the same actors. :) To see their contrast in portrayals alone would make me want to fly out there to see it. :)

Updated On: 1/3/06 at 04:43 AM

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#33re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 9:28am

Thats amazing! I wish I could go re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#34re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/3/06 at 11:38am

Yes, Sheri, it will definitely be exciting and fun to see the same actors alternating in two such different shows. However, I wonder if they'll be able to make something interesting of I Do! I Do! Though Diana Canova and Harry Groener did an entertaining one-performance only I Do! I Do! for Reprise in 2004, the Theater 40 version last year was so dull that I left after the first act, and that's VERY unusual for me. TL5Y is so gripping, so modern, especially compared to the stodgy and even dated I Do! I Do!. Hopefully, the actors will make something special of both shows. I hope...
In the meantime, we're all waiting with bated breath to find out who will be Cathy in the upcoming Reprise production!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#36re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:07am

Darn, I have not gotten tickets yet - last time I tried the twofer it froze on me. Maybe there will be a seat to be had today.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#37re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:08am

Okay, now I am soooooooooooo mad I'm not going. Damnit!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#38re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:12am

I don't know how much this news will impact ticket sales one way or the other with a general audience, but I suspect that a lot of theatre people who were on the fence may work this one into their budget.

YouWantitWhen????
#39re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:36am

Well, the site says sold out for the twofer, and the Ticketmaster program was not working,

But, I was able to order a ticket to L5Y over the phone. Not a great seat, but better than not going!

I have never seen Julia Murney live, and now I will be able to say I have!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#40re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:40am

Oh, good. I am glad you got one.

Where is your seat? anjilly and I are in Row F. I bought the Two show package to ensure that I got the aisle seat that I wanted. re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only

YouWantitWhen????
#41re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:50am

I believe Row G, all the way to the side, seat 2 - it is a small theater, so it shouldn't be an issue.

This will be post NY for you, correct? I cannot wait to hear more stories from you and your honey.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#42re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:54am

Ah, okay. We are Row F on the aisle so we'll either be right in front/behind or on the opposite side of the theatre.

Yeah, this is the night after we get back from New York actually.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#43re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 11:15am

Julia Murney? This is great news! I'm very excited to see this. re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#44re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 3:27pm

I never thought these words would cross my lips, but I wish I lived in LA. re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#46re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:19pm

You know, Melissa fan, there are dozens and dozens of former New Yorkers in L.A. who'd never return to the Big Apple except for a brief visit. :)

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#47re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:59pm

She was great in Lennon, I can't wait to see her belt!

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#48re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:12pm

i would give so much to be there. stupid florida.

Danielm
#49re: Does everyone know about Jason Robert Brown starring in TL5Y, 1-30 only
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:31pm

Well, I guess I'll be seeing this alone. My partner, while he likes a lot of JRB's music, cannot stand the man on stage. He feels he's just so full of himself he's unbearable. I have to agree that Brown is full of himself but I still like him (though I would rather hear other people sing his songs).

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Videos