Stage Door Etiquette

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#25re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:38am

bail, schmail. you'd be surprised how many broadway performers are more than willing to do a little "work" for some good word of mouth on the boards. they are just waiting for someone to ask.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#26re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:44am

Wow. Between these posts and the one you wrote about the Equity bathrooms... it's VERY good to see you posting again, papa. re: stage door etiquette

papalovesmambo
#27re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:50am

*sniff*

awwww, amasis, you're too sweet. wanna meet me at the stage door?

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:06pm

I think one of the worst (by way of attitude) stage door crowds I'vce seen was my second time at RENT. Matt Caplan had offered to see if Cary Shields would be coming out to sign, so he went back in for a minute. When he returned with the news that Cary was sleeping, there was a general outburst from a bunch of tweenies, of "He's SLEEPING?! How could he be sleeping?! Ugh, he needs to take a NAP?!" etc.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#29re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:13pm

awwww, amasis, you're too sweet. wanna meet me at the stage door?

Only if you're willing to provide sexual favors inside one of those Equity bathrooms.

papalovesmambo
#30re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:16pm

to quote morrissey, "you just haven't earned it yet, baby!"

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#31re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:25pm

I tend to only stage door when I'm with someone else, and even then, I'm really laid back about it. I also become really embarassed if the person I'm with is really pushy and aggressive. There's just no need for that IMO.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#32re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 3:38pm

I have no idea who the idjits wanted to come out, but the fact they didn't recognize Mike Nichols amused me to no end!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#33re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 3:48pm

I saw some rather obnoxious stage door behavior for "A Dancer's Life."

I was just passing by on my way somewhere. There was a small, but very vocal crowd waiting between the door and an idling limo. Every time the stage door opened to let someone in or out, most of them would start shouting in..."Come out, get out here, Chita!" And they were not being light or humorous. They were very rude and aggressive. I was pretty horrified as a passerby and thought, "Well, damn, if I'm the star they're calling for, THAT certainly wouldn't get me to come out.

I used to see hear a few spoiled, angry comments once in a while when Hugh Panaro didn't come out after matinees because he was sleeping or had somewhere else to go between shows.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Ladyofthe Lake Profile Photo
Ladyofthe Lake
#34re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:52pm

I have no idea who the idjits wanted to come out, but the fact they didn't recognize Mike Nichols amused me to no end!

Considering the mentality of the people we're discussing, I wonder if they would have cared if they had recognized him. After all, he wasn't one of the principals on the stage, so how important could he be? {/sarcasm}

I don't know when in December you had this experience, but personally, I hope they were waiting for Tim...mainly because that would mean they undoubtedly stalked off disappointed and ticked off. re: stage door etiquette

Yankeefan007
#35re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:55pm

Tim is one of the sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Ladyofthe Lake Profile Photo
Ladyofthe Lake
#36re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:51pm

Tim is one of the sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

I hope you didn't think my comment was intended as a knock against Tim; quite the contrary. I've met him as well, and he was wonderful. I just meant that since he didn't "do" the stage door during the latter part of his run, the women would have likely missed out on him.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#37re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:27pm

Just thought I'd share this story since we're talking about stage door experiences... When my breother and I were at the Fox Theatre's Stage Door in Saint Louis after "Wicked", there were a few little girls who acted like they knew everything about "Wicked". Anyway, when one of the girl's mom was looking at her playbill while waiting for the cast to come out, she said has Stephanie J. Block been on Broadway? And the girls said, "Yeah, she was in 'The Boy From Oz', it's about the Wicked Witch's son!" I just wanted to turn around and say something but I just stood there.

dancingthrulife04
#38re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:29pm

Oy.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#39re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:40pm

Katharine Hepburn used to walk out in a brisk dash to her car. If asked to sign she would tell everyone the same thing "Mail it to me, Mail it to me". She was sooooo cute you had to love her!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

dancingthrulife04
#40re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:41pm

That is cute!

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#41re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:51pm

You guys got them to perform sexual favors? Lucky...

PattiLu made me give her a full pap smear before she'd sign my Evita poster. Did you know she travels with her own stirrups?

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

gavrochegirl
#42re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:59pm

"Anyway, when one of the girl's mom was looking at her playbill while waiting for the cast to come out, she said has Stephanie J. Block been on Broadway? And the girls said, 'Yeah, she was in 'The Boy From Oz', it's about the Wicked Witch's son!' "

OY. I would've bitch slapped them right then and there.

What the puck?!

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#43re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:38pm

I might have responded - no, it's about that boy from Buffy . . .

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#44re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:43pm

My fave stage door experience was a time I saw "RENT" (by no means my first either) and I was stupid enough to go when Joey Fatone was performing as Mark (I can't help it, I was of the NSYNC generation and wanted to go, but not in a teeny-bopper way) but he was not very good and not at all right for the part- he kept drawing attention to himself when everyone else was sitting nice and still and paying attention to Roger and Mimi. ANYWAY so I am waiting to get autographs as I always do, but not really wanting Joey Fatone's and we go outside and there are tons and i mean TONS of screaming teeny boppers waiting for him, most who I overheard saying they HATED Rent but just saw it because of him. Then two girls in their mid-twenties ish come up to me and ask who everyone is waiting for and I said "Ugh they are waiting for Joey Fatone who was in the show" assuming they would be sane enough to appreciate the insanity of the situation- oh no, they started jumping up and down and screaming and ran over to see him (he, by the way, went straight to his car and did NOT sign autographs). Meanwhile the rest of the cast did not come out, probably because of the crowds and I never got my signitures re: stage door etiquette damn teeny boppers ruin everything!!!

sorry this was really long but it still sorta bugs me lol

"That boy could use some Prozac"

linss1204 Profile Photo
linss1204
#45re: stage door etiquette
Posted: 1/7/06 at 12:07am

In general, broadway performers amaze me with their warmth towards their fans. to come out and sign playbills after performing on stage for three hours is just beyond the call of duty. The "See What I Wanna See" stories reminded me of my experience at that show. I'm eighteen and I was the youngest person there by far... no screaming 13 year-olds (thank god). Only myself and three other adults waited to see her after the show. When she walked in the lobby, she looked so relieved at the small group of people there. She took pictures with us, signed playbills, thanked for supporting the show, and even stayed back and chatted for a little bit. She amazed me with warmth towards all of us. My friend attended the show about two weeks before it closed, with the Idina fans out in full force. She didn't, for smart reasons, come out to greet the respective fans b/c of the fanatics. It's really sad to me to see generous stars made unconfortable at the stagedoor by disrespectful fans.

Videos