pixeltracker

Who else watches 1776 every year?- Page 2

Who else watches 1776 every year?

elimeyer Profile Photo
elimeyer
#25re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:52pm

Is it on TV?

-elli- Visit me @ http://www.thekingofbroadway.com "They say that life is 'Tit for Tat' and thats the way I live, so I deserve a lot of 'TAT' for what I've got to give!!!"

#26re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:54pm

Someone ought to open up a window.....

latheatrelover
#27re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:55pm

I thought I was the only one to watch it each July 4th!

To Allofmylife, the recent Restored Director's Cut DVD version of 1776 has many of the scenes restored (including Cool, Cool Men) and they look better in quality than the laserdisc because they have polished them up to match the rest of the film. I remember the laserdisc added scenes were grainy and very noticeable. The DVD looks great.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#28re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:56pm

I do - it's a July 4th tradition for me.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#29re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:01am

Yes, the DVD looks better, because they actually found the master film, which was not available for the laserdisc. The laserdisc was pieced together from film found in closets, and black and white work prints, etc. However, the laserdisc is complete, while the DVD is edited. Also, the stereo on the laserdisc is better, and I like the overture that was created for the laserdisc, and is not on the DVD.

halyiaganitefiz
#30re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:25am

It's hot as hell in Milwaukee right now, so it's only fitting... :P

Actually we've watched it every year as a family since I was born, I think. It was the first musical I really went ga-ga for. Not counting Phantom of the Opera, which was played for me in the womb. :x

Is it bad that I want to be John Adams and I'm a girl? (Abigail is a close second.)

jam_man
#31re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:29am

I once saw a production of Gypsy where the Mamma Rose's bio said she once played John Adams in a female cast of 1776. That would be interesting to see if nothing else.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

latheatrelover
#32re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:33am

halyiaganitefiz, I have had a strong identification with John Adams as played by William Daniels (of course, I am a man so it is understandable) because of his fight for freedom.

"Is it bad that I want to be John Adams and I'm a girl? (Abigail is a close second.)"

halyiaganitefiz, that's okay. There are probably some males on the board who want to be Abigail.
Updated On: 7/4/06 at 12:33 AM

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#33re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:35am

You would then be obnoxious and disliked!

halyiaganitefiz
#34re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:37am

JohnBoy2: You know it, sir. :P

latheatrelover: Do you know, I never thought of it that way? :3 Makes me feel much better. Thanks, lol.

jam_man: ....*mindboggled!* I would LOVE to. That's such a cool idea... *is scheming already* I know they still do all-male Shakespeare shows hereabouts... why not all-female somethingorotherelses? *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#35re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:39am

I do.......watched it earlier today

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#36re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:40am

The DVD is actually a new "director's cut" of the film. Yes, they found old elements.

The laser disc release, however, is the COMPLETE film, before Jack L. Warner hacked it up for the original theatrical release. There are several scenes in the laser disc version than didn't make it into the director's cut. But the source material is "questionable" unfortunately.

So here's what's available.

On VHS:
The original theatrical release. (Missing: many things, including the second verse of "Piddle, Twiddle," the encore of "The Lees of Virginia," the intro to "He Plays the Violin" and the entire "Cool Considerate Men."

On Laser Disc:
You get ALL of the missing stuff above, plus many restored dialogue scenes, to their full length (from the stage play).

On DVD:
Still missing, sadly: The second verse of "Piddle, Twiddle," and several dialogue cuts throughout. But this is the official NEW director's cut, so I guess he wanted it this way.

...And yes, in case you can't tell, I watch it every year... ever since I had the great fortune to play Rutledge back in the mid '80s!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

latheatrelover
#37re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:50am

There are so many great lines in the show and so many small details that were based on letters between Adams and Abigail and other factual documents. I recall reading a piece by the author, Peter Stone, in which he said one thing they didn't include was John Adams declaring that if the slavery section were cut from the Declaration that a hundred years later they would regret it. And it was almost a hundred years when the Civil War started. They didn't use it because they thought the audience would think they just made that up.

I love that the national bird of America should be...the turkey, which was Franklin's choice.

jam_man
#38re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:56am

"The turkey is a truly noble bird."

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 1:12am

latheatrelover---You're right! Not only that, but John & Abigail's letters were VERY romantic. Just as they are in the stage show.

John even signed one particular letter with "Yours, yours, yours, yours, yours," etc. It was an ENTIRE PAGE full of this salutation... his undying love for her.

...hence the song: "Yours, Yours, Yours." It's based on this truth.

Updated On: 7/4/06 at 01:12 AM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#40re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 3:23am

I never thought to do so, but what a great idea?!

This film is such a shining example of how a movie musical should be done. Love it!

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#41re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 3:28am

I have to say I'm a little shocked I never thought of that before.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#42re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 3:54am

latheaterlover, you should go to youtube.com and type in me and my girl. There is an amazing film from Japan, fabulous footage of a Japanese production (full Broadway orchestra and all) which is so amazing because the guy playing Bill Snibson is a girl who plays male roles all the time. And she is as good as Lindsey.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#43re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 5:37am

I LOVE 1776.

"I don't know. He had a funny look on his face."
"He always does."

ackermmi
#44re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 10:08am

BTW, I have come to the conclusion that one useless man
becomes a critic,
Two or more become a producing partnership,
And three or more form a forum.
And by God, I love this forum....
THAT was fabulous!! Made me laugh out loud and wake the baby! :)

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#45re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 10:17am

My favorite lines:

Franklin: Treason is a charge made by the winners with which to hang the losers
Adams: I don't have time for you to stand around quoting yourself.
Franklin: Noooo, that was a new one.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

latheatrelover
#46re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 10:45am

One of my favorite lines:

Franklin: "Be careful, Mr. Dickinson. Those who would give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#47re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 11:12am

I love 1776 and I listen to the CD all the time, i watch the movie a lot but not every year. it always pisses me off that they cut he plays the violin. But My dad is another story, he has the whole this memorized, he reads the script like 5 times a year and watches the movie SOOOOO much. hes OBSESSED.

quintia
#48re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:34pm

I love 1776! I watch it every year with my family. I don't have the recording, but my history professor played some of "Sit Down John" in class last semester when we covered the Founding Fathers. I totally geeked out.

"I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, but above all things, I believe in love."- Moulin Rouge

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#49re: Who else watches 1776 every year?
Posted: 7/4/06 at 12:37pm

JohnBoy2---"Also the stereo on the laser disc is better."

FAR better! I'm not sure what happened there, but the remixed audio elements are TERRIBLE in comparison with the laser disc's sound.

I can't understand how they took such a step backwards for the DVD.

Updated On: 7/4/06 at 12:37 PM

Videos