pixeltracker

Highest note belted on a cast recording?- Page 2

Highest note belted on a cast recording?

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#25re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:42pm

coolkid and rentboy - it's actually a B flat

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#26re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:47pm

Eden's last note in Once Upon a Time is an A flat.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#27re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:52pm

In 'My Favorite Broadway: Leading Ladies', Linda Eder hits some ridiculously high notes during a song from 'Man of La Mancha'. I think it's actually a song written for the male part that was modified for a female.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#28re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:54pm

Both Amy Spanger and Nancy Anderson belted a high note in Kiss Me, Kate, during Always True To You.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#29re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:58pm

Renthead..I have to dissagree. I think that Carolee Carmello is a far better belter, and, actually,in my opinion, singer then Idina. Listen to her on infinite joy or even parade. She hits E's with such an amazing sound.

PS. I think that the QUEEN of the mixed belt is Lisa Brescia...hands down.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

RentBoy86
#30re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:03pm

"coolkid and rentboy - it's actually a B flat"

I stand corrected. I think I was thinking of "Love Can Happen" from Grand Hotel.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#31re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:23pm

and for the record, it's Raul Esparza, not Esperanza.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#32re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:28pm

What about Alix Corey and Nancy Opel?

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#33re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:39pm

What about (though I don't think it's belting) Barbara Cook in Glitter and Be Gay?

For belting -what about Lilias White in Brotherhood of Man?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

rocky2428 Profile Photo
rocky2428
#34re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:42pm

"On a similar note, what is the highest note done in a male's chest voice on a cast recording? What is the lowest note?"

Not sure on the lowest, but I'd say Philip Casnoff has to be one of the highest. He's hitting and holding a High C at the end of "Pity The Child" and, unless I'm mistaken, that's all chest voice.

Joshua488
#35re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:48pm

muscle23ftl, you're thinking of the F near the end of "Always True to You," but they didn't belt it; they switched up into head voice for that note since it's so quick and high.

The highest note in "Glitter and Be Gay" is an E flat, so the title song from The Phantom of the Opera wins by a half step.

But again, these are sung in head voice.
Updated On: 7/20/06 at 03:48 PM

ghostlight2
#36re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:51pm

"and for the record, it's Raul Esparza, not Esperanza."

Thanks, ourtime. *shakes head*

I even worked with him, too. He had three names then.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#37re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:54pm

It's not in a cast recording so it's sort of off-topic, but if Chess is any indication, Raul can belt a B-flat -- if that's belting, anyway.

I agree that it's pretty much impossible to judge because it's pretty tough to distinguish between pure belting and mixing.

Updated On: 7/20/06 at 03:54 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#38re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:06pm

Lowest -- Michel Bell in Old Man River on the revival of Showboat, maybe?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

bwaylvsong
#39re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:38pm

I very much doubt the lowest is Old Man River, it's a lot higher than it sounds. It's only a low G.

mvillalobos2004 Profile Photo
mvillalobos2004
#40re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:47pm

Well, since we're splintering this topic a bit. JCSuperstar Priests definitely are among the lowest, as is Judge Turpin's part in Pretty Women (tough to get much sound down there even for a TRUE bass)

As far as "belt" notes that stick out as amazing belt "sound", Patti Lupone's New Argentina "...IS one of you..." remains one of my favorites. Actually, that whole song is written so that she will be at the TOP of her range as she screams out to the masses of Argentina. One of Webber's few (and last) fine writing moments (in MY opinion).

"The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not..."

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#41re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:48pm

I actually think Kristin's final (third) "Good" at the end of "No One Mourns the Wicked" is a little higher than her last note in "Thank Goodness"... am I wrong?

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#42re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 5:12pm

Orfeh's note in Make Like a Nail is a G#. Sherie Scott's note at the end of "Legs" might be an A. Lupone does incredibly high belting on much of Evita. Again, it's not how high for me, it's how warm. Espinosa and all her blood vessel bursting high notes do nothing for me. Sorry BKLYN fans. Same with Menzel.

Joshua488
#43re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 5:17pm

Let's not forget the G belted by Kerry Butler toward the end of "Without Love" in Hairspray. ("No, I don't wanna live without love, love, love...")

musicaltheatreman
#44re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 6:35pm

what show is swiws that idna was in?? thanks

#45re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 6:40pm

See What I Wanna See.

Google it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 6:54pm

Both from Inner City

Fluffer Hirsch (Gotta love that name) - The Great If
Delores Hall - If Wishes Were Horses

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/20/06 at 06:54 PM

nomdeplume
#47re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 6:58pm

My vote goes to Sarah Uriarte Berry for that insanely high note she hit and held in The Joy You Feel on the OBC for The Light in the Piazza (which someone said was a high F).

I really don't care if it was all head voice or how we are (or are not) able to define "belt." It was like a miracle to hit that note and I never heard her miss.

eve harrington2
#48re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 6:59pm

Usually the highest "belt" notes are an F or G (whether they are mixes or not is often one of the greatest debates ever)...

when you guys are bringing up men singing As and Bs....you DO know that those are not actually higher notes than the women's notes, right?

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#49re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 8:05pm

I am not saying that they hit the highest note or whatnot. When it comes to belters, I can only think of two people I want to see do that: Idina Menzel and Sherie Rene Scott. I also like Jennifer Laura Thompson, Spanger, Foster, and Benatti as well, I am just not into Carolee Carmello that much after Lestat. Sorry re: Highest note belted on a cast recording? I am sure it will change and I am ordering Parade tom. so we will see, I might just change my mind. But I have a ton of CD's and the ones that do it for me are the songs like Defying Gravity, Goodbye Till Tomorrow (L5Y), Life of the Party...

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

Videos