pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#25re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 8:25pm

I agree that SWEENEY TODD is a more fall/winter show. And besides, tourists want to see something usually light and cheerful, not a dark and gothic piece like Sweeney Todd.

The other thing is that this production itself isn't tourist friendly. Tourists like to "see" stuff. And this production of Sweeney Todd is very minimalist. Tourists don't really like that kind of stuff. The addition of it's morbid air and plot may turn off some tourists.

I, personally, think the show is brilliant, but that's just me. Frankly, I don't see this show running past the end of the year. If it does, I will be VERY surprised.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 7/24/06 at 08:25 PM

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#26re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 8:30pm

Poor DRS. No Norbert, no Jonathan, and now - no Greg. I've seen the first two replacements and if they're given a little time, I think they'll work out well. But with no Greg..... I'm afraid the cuts are too deep. I won't be going back.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#27re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 8:44pm

Yeah I don't see Sweeney lasting much longer after Patti and Micheal are gone. I wish it would, I've been dying to see it and won't be going to the city till next spring break re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006

"I feel god in this chili's..."

ThankstoPhantom
#28re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 8:50pm

I'm going to try my darnest to get to the O'Neil this summer. (with Kaye, though, she appeals to me more).

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 9:39pm

Variety was also quick to notice the large DRS drop. Its numbers will need to rebound a bit if its going to survive.

At the risk of people who think I am constantly bashing THE PRODUCERS; I think it is interesting how the show - now that we can clearly see how the movie and dvd release are affecting the Broadway production - is lingering steady at just under 70 percent. Keep a close watch on those numbers' progress leading into the fall. The St. James is so hotly coveted, vultures really will start swarming if they aren't able to bump attendance.
Updated On: 7/24/06 at 09:39 PM

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#30re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 10:11pm

I feel really guilty now for not seeing Sweeney when I was in NYC this weekend. But like you guys said, I was already having a bad weekend and I didn't want something depressing. So I saw Wedding Singer. Sweeney was my second choice, though. And my mother told me that if I find out Sweeney's going to close she'll take me up to NYC to see it before that happens. I just hope it can hang in there! Such a shame...

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#31re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 10:13pm

How'd you like Wedding Singer?

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#32re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:38pm

Here's hoping DRS's numbers are up next week. After all, Carradine and BdJ didn't start until Friday of this past week.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#33re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:40pm

SWEENEY TODD will probably close once the contracts for Cerveris and LuPone are up. The show took a nosedive when Kaye was in for that one week, I cannot imagine how much it will suffer without the marquee names. It would have had a little over a year run, and it is a critical and economic success. It was a great production, but not everything can last.

I have a feeling DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS and THE WEDDING SINGER will close sometime around December/January in order to reap the benefits from the tourism season and avoiding the dry spell during the winter months.

THE PRODUCERS is very much a question mark. Its true test will be during the winter months. If it slips quite a bit then and fails to fully bounce back, the St. James may be an empty theatre come this time next year. Although, it might work out with Mel Brooks, who can open YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN in the same theater.

Another question mark is BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. There were rumors floating around that Disney is planning to close it sometime within the next year once MARY POPPINS opens. Having four shows on Broadway means they are competing with one another. Its grosses are not terrible at all, it has been doing good steady business, however it is the longest running of the four, TARZAN still needs to recoup its massive investment, and THE LION KING is too big of a hit, grossing over a million weekly.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#34re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:41pm

Numbers for DRS are alarming. I've got to wonder though, if Norbert leaving the Broadway show did so much harm, will his presence in the first part of the tour boost sales? It might get the show off to a great start. I know tons of people in Seattle are really excited to be able to see the show with its real New York star, and that ticket sales have been higher among the theatergoing community because of his presence.

Any thoughts?

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#35re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:48pm

I'd hate to see Beauty and the Beast close and I hope that doesn't happen.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#36re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:58pm

Oh God, I hope I see BdJ in Scoundrels before it closes. Hopefully it won't but...you can't deny the numbers.

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

RentBoy86
#37re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:38am

I'd say Wedding Singer, DRS, and Sweeney will all close sometime during this season. It seems this season is very crowded with new shows opening, so I think some shows that aren't doing so well are going to be squeezed out. I'm ready for the Producers to close, it's not doing that great of business - but not horrible, but still.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#38re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:40am

Just wondering what people would want to take The Producers spot at the St. James...lord knows I agree that its time has come and gone.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

RentBoy86
#39re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:47am

I'd say most of the medium sized musicals like The Wiz and High Fidelity. Also, is Sister Act opening this season? I know it has a tryout or something in Atlanta later in the year.

Rentaholic2
#40re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:57am

A little off-topic, but does anyone know if Patti or Michael will be out on the Wed. matinee performance on Aug 2?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#41re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:03am

Patti won't be there, she's out until August 15th doing Gypsy in Chicago.
Updated On: 7/25/06 at 02:03 AM

Rentaholic2
#42re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:06am

dammit. i think I might cry. Oh, why can't I live closer to NYC!? Or why don't they move Broadway to Texas, that would suffice :)

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#43re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:08am

I saw Judy Kaye in June when she covered Mrs. Lovett for a week and she was fantastic, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Videos