pixeltracker

And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....- Page 2

And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#25re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:30pm

i only hope that idina menzel and harvey firestein can perform together one day in HSM what a show that would be..j/k. I actually see this show translating horrible to the stage. I do not think it has enough songs to carry the show. The set is also a problem. The way I invsion it is kind-of the fame type set. One major set with many things going on. Anyway thats my opinion. ALthough the movie is crappy. I was pretty impressed with Kenny Ortega's choreography.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#26re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:31pm

exactly that's the only positive I see in doing this dreck is that you could make your drama dept. a s**tload of money and maybe save up and do Les Miz sometime. I don't know maybe look into putting on a mini student production of your own. Is that possible? But good for you for not going down without a fight.

Katurian...it was fun and the best way to leave my high school theatrical career. Aida wasn't a high school produciton but it was a lot of fun and turned out really well and I had quite a bit of fun and got a little acting stretch which is always great

Edit- haha I was just thinking theaterdude87 (btw yay for 1987! My bday year) that it would be hilarious to see a broadway all star mock reading of this show. They could just really have fun poking fun of this crap for one night in a concert in somewhere like Joes Pub. Just a funny thought

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
Updated On: 7/31/06 at 07:31 PM

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#27re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:41pm

Luckily for me, my high school music director loved Sondheim so we did shows by him a lot. We just did Into the Woods last year. Unfortunately she tackles great shows with the little talent the school had to offer. It's hard to put on a show when the funding for the department was given to sports teams and we got a gym to perform in.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#28re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:44pm

oh we had the EXACT same problem SarahBeth...minimal talent and budget. And since our activities director was the football coach we really didn't get anything so I our production wasn't wonderful or anything but I was proud of my performance and it was a show I had wanted to do for a long time. But yeah...be careful who performs Sondheims shows

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#29re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:47pm

I loved performing the shows. I didn't like the petty high school drama that comes with it. When I first heard High School Musical was coming I got kind of excited to see something that would capture some really good drama, but the drama in the movie seemed forced and fake.

"Interesting choice"

RuprechtJr.
SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#31re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:56pm

The sabotaging. But that's pretty much it..I stand corrected. There really wasn't much drama, what a disappointment.

"Interesting choice"

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#32re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:02pm

Well, I'm glad to not see my school on that list. Not that I perform, but I have no want to listen to it for 5 hours a day.

And, to whoever it is that said they were doing Seussical, don't fret. No one was really excited about doing it at my school last year, but it'll grow on you. I promise.

matt schneider
#33re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:06pm

When will this torturous "musical" die. I hope soon

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#34re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:16pm

I have not seen the movie. I don't want to. But...

Let the people have thier "High School Musical" fun. What's the big deal? Something had to be the next "Wicked". I'm not going into the arguement that it brings more people into theatre either. I'm sure for some it will. And others I know it won't. There were many people who I know that saw it, loved it, and still have no further interest in musicals. It doesn't really matter either way. It's foolish to try to compare it with "Sweeney Todd" or "La Cage Aux Folles" or anything like that.

It knows what it is and it's catering to a certain kind of audience. It's not trying to be anything more.

bcectchc
#35re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:16pm

Where did you find the list of schools licensed with it? I went to the MTI site, but could not find any list of schools/theatres. I was hoping that none of our area schools are presenting it this year!

Reverie
#36re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:23pm

A school in my area is doing it. I guess my school won't be doing it then :)

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#37re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:50pm

RuprechtJr., I have to disagree with you. Wicked is what truly got me into musical theatre. I had always loved it before, but Wicked helped me "discover" it, if that makes any sense. I adore Sondheim and the old "classics". And I despise "High School Musical".

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

RuprechtJr.
#38re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:57pm

I have to say that my theory isn't foolproof (not calling you a fool!) Once in a while there is a rare occasion when a pop-musical fan looks on the internet and sees there are other musicals out there and takes the time to see what they're about. Most people just don't see anything else beacause it's just not their thing. My dad likes Chicago and Little Shop of Horrors (the musicals not the movies) and that was only because he liked the STYLE of music. We listened to Sondheim in the car and he asked me to take it out. It all depends on if that kind of music suits your personallity. I thank you, ElphieDefiesGravity for taking that time to become a well rounded theater fan.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#39re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:59pm

You are most welcome. re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#40re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 9:03pm

ElphieDefiesGravity, I completely agree with you! I remember when my friend forced me to listen to Wicked in the car when I was in 7th grade. I'd been in musicals before but it wasn't much of a passion back then. After I listened to Wicked I sort of discovered theatre and it's basically snow balled since then. Wicked is not my favorite musical by any means, but I do appreciate the fact that it started my love for musical theatre.

RuprechtJr., I understand the dad making you take Sondheim out in the car. I made a deal with my mom a few months ago, and I do extra chores in exchange for "Musical Mondays" in the car with my mom on the way to school. Haha I try to introduce her to new musicals every week but so far she hasn't heard anything she likes besides Wicked and RENT re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....

somebody hold me too close...

noloversfool Profile Photo
noloversfool
#41re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 9:09pm

God help us all...

"One day, is that enough for you, one day he went dumb, one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that enough for you? They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more." --Waiting for Godot

broadwayjavajunkie
#42re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 9:58pm

Wicked was what got me into theater..and then I discovered everything else and cannot STAND the show now.

I am very upset about all this. Ickkkkk. HSM. Not a musical. The only good thing about this is my school has NO art funding since it all goes to football, so no way could we afford it.

My sincerest apologies to everyone who's theater department is performing it--whether or not you're in the show!

"Shut up! Are you a communist?"

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#43re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:01pm

broadwayjavajunkie- I was sort of the same way- RENT and Wicked were my first real "obession" shows- I still love RENT, but in moderation, and Wicked is just overloved and overhyped now.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

GoodbyeMyLover Profile Photo
GoodbyeMyLover
#44re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:26am

if my school did this, i would kill to see the "get cha head in the game" song.

High School Musical really does not look like a stage production. It would though be interesting to see.

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul." - Marilyn Monroe

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#45re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:59am

i only hope that idina menzel and harvey firestein can perform together one day in HSM what a show that would be

Nooo! That would ruin it! My friend and I have already planned for Harvey to star as Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Idina will be playing the priest with the boner.

A high school near where I grew up is on that list. It's one thing when it's in Wyoming and it's someone else's problem, but this....oy.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

goldenstate5
#46re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:50am

Well I'll be damned...our school's major theatrical partner/competition is second on that list.

I'm so glad that I have a theatre teacher with at least some sense not to do what is obviously a poorly written musical...yes, a poorly written musical with guaranteed sold-out shows...

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#47re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:10am

High school musical equals death.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#48re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:39pm

well i heard liza is on to play the drama teacher. anyway i think its insane how much publicity the first production is getting..its a little insane. i went on their mti website today and they added in all these awful songs and unneccessary reprises. who knows...but im sure it will be one of mti's top liscenced shows. i actuallu have gotten wind that scarlett johansen really wanted to play gabrielle 2..but once again she had all those demands so the prodcuers gave it to someone else. jk

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

noloversfool Profile Photo
noloversfool
#49re: And the 1st Licensed Production of High School Musical Goes To....
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:44pm

Thank god I graduated high school this year. And thank god my old high school has a very small drama program because I would disown it if they ever did this show.

"One day, is that enough for you, one day he went dumb, one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that enough for you? They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more." --Waiting for Godot

Videos