pixeltracker

What theatre would the grease revival fit in?- Page 2

What theatre would the grease revival fit in?

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#25re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/22/06 at 8:17pm

This thread is sort of ridiculous. It is obviously up to the producers and the theatre owners. What is the sense of all of these hypotheticals?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#26re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/22/06 at 8:22pm

suck it betch.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#27re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/22/06 at 8:31pm

I love how people keep suggesting these tiny theatres for THE LITTLE MERMAID.

The set designer for MERMAID designs for scale. His sets are enormous. TARZAN feels FAR too boxed in at the Rogers.

There's no way MERMAID would fit into a theatre as small as that.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/22/06 at 11:18pm

I agree it is silly for us to discuss this because the Theatre owners and producers will do what ever makes the most $$$$$
Hey maybe DISNEY can get the Seven dwarfs to cheaply move BEAUTY across the street to the Rodgers where it would sell out and put the FISH GIRL in the LUNT.
After the fiasco that is TARZAN and the probable phenom of POPPINS,
Maybe DISNEY will be more cautious about unknown Directors and Designers.

Stick GREASE in the Belasco or somewhere even further away.
Updated On: 10/22/06 at 11:18 PM

jimnysf
#30re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/22/06 at 11:58pm

Another revival of "Grease" and this one using game show contestants! I hope it's a big gigantic flop. Who the hell needs to see "Grease" again? Soon we will have nothing to see but horrible shows based on mediocre films and insipid revivals, all with a top ticket of $125. Ain't it grand?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#31re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:03am

I could see Grease in the Winter Garden

but that's like choosing the lesser of two evils

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

ben1986 Profile Photo
ben1986
#32re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:28am

I agree with reviving Grease, revive a show that hasn't been seen by this generation. As for theatre's I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Neil Simon. Rumor's have been going around that Hairspray is on its way it, although ALW has booked it for a fall revival of Evita.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#33re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:30am

In response to Grease: Trust Kathleen Marshall! She knows what she is doing.

CurtainPullDowner
#34re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:34am

"this generation"?
hasn't evey high school and community theatre done it ad nauseum?
sorry,
I Don't trust Kathleen, Pajama Game was a hit because of Harry and his pecs, but the show couldn't move or continue without them.
She has no vision in my opinion and only does revivals because of that.
And she has allowed herself to be part of a "reality show" instead of doing true Theatre. Updated On: 10/23/06 at 12:34 AM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#35re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:57am

"She has no vision in my opinion and only does revivals because of that.
And she has allowed herself to be part of a "reality show" instead of doing true Theatre".

Hold on one second, have you seen any "true theater" lately that you'd make that over the top statement? Not only that but like it or not, the "reality show" perhaps will put Broadway on a much "wider" map if but for a brief moment and isn't that what you're all always bellyaching about, the lack of mass awareness and acceptance? I'm no big fan of revivals, but you act as if there's been nothing but jems and jewels on the boards lately and that is totally false.
Updated On: 10/23/06 at 12:57 AM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#36re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:57am

Double post. Updated On: 10/23/06 at 12:57 AM

CurtainPullDowner
#37re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:07am

I think projects like
A LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
GREY GARDENS
SPRING AWAKENING
THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING
are more to my liking than a revival of
GREASE
I try to preface my thoughts by saying it is just my opinion
because I like seeing risks even on a Broadway level
yes, bring TV audiences to Broadway
but not by putting Constantine into dreck like
THE WEDDING SINGER
that's how I feel
kill me if you like
Updated On: 10/23/06 at 01:07 AM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#38re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:14am

"Dreck" being the operative word. That was the point of my post. there's SO much dreck masquerading as theater in the last few years, it's hard for me to get "upset" at a Grease revival. It's revival is far from being at the top of the very long list of things wrong with Broadway nowadays.
Updated On: 10/23/06 at 01:14 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#39re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:19am

THE PAJAMA GAME was not good only because of Connick. It sold out only because of Connick, but I think Kathleen Marshall is a fine director and choreographer. WONDERFUL TOWN was exceptional, and I thought THE PAJAMA GAME was fabulous. Her choreography and direction were impeccable.

True, we do not need GREASE - but there's no doubt that it will sell.

By the time the show actually comes to Broadway (isn't it 2008?), the last GREASE revival will have opened 14 years ago, and closed 10 years ago. It's not like it's been two years.

It's pretty harmless...I don't see why people are flipping out. If it's a good production of a mediocre show, it's already better than most of the other shows out there right now.

And if the last production of GREASE (which was awful) ran for 4 years, there's no doubt in my mind that this production could last just as long.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner
#40re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:22am

Point taken Al Dente
So Munk, why do you think PAJAMA GAME couldn't move or tour without Harry?

munkustrap178
#41re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:25am

Because it wouldn't last. I said that.

The reason THE PAJAMA GAME was such a hot ticket was because of Harry. I never denied that.

But staying power has very little to do with quality.

How many quality productions do we have that close a flop? And how many atrocities have been living on Broadway for years?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner
#42re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:31am

Do you think Kathleen Marshall has been offered any new musicals?
or is she pandering and doing a tacky thing like a reality rip off of
HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA?
is that show doing well?
I did believe in Marshall when she was at Encores but nothing since then has impressed me.

munkustrap178
#43re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:34am

Her last two ventures received rave reviews. Both WONDERFUL TOWN and THE PAJAMA GAME were both HUGE critical and artistic successes.

She's been doing only revivals, but that doesn't mean she CAN'T do new musicals. And frankly, she does revivals extremely well. She keeps them true, but also puts a new twist on them. She is a wonderful choregrapher and her direction has been impeccable. I don't know how you can deny that.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC hasn't opened yet, I don't believe, but I do remember reading an article about how well it's selling.

RentBoy86
#44re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 2:16am

The thought of Disney having all those shows on Broadway is just sickening to me. I don't care if they're using a lot of actors, it's just too much. Stick them in your theme parks.

I think the Wiz could work in the Palace. I'm glad they're not going to make the Imperial sit there until 08.

PirateSmile Profile Photo
PirateSmile
#45re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:24am

I guess a problem with bringing in more and more newcomers to the theatre experience is that you have to make them want to travel to come to NYC, and the way you can do that is offer something semi-familiar, like a Disney show or a familiar tv face like Constantine (who in my opinion is legit, perhaps that AI stuff was the aberration in his career), something that will make people feel like they are not taking such a huge risk to travel and spend a bunch of money on something they might not like at all (and never come back to try it again).

There's an audience for most every kind of entertainment. Those that don't appeal will close. Free market economy stuff.

Here's to Patti And Tina And Yoko, Aretha And Nona And Nico And me

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#46re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:46am

"THE PAJAMA GAME was not good only because of Connick. "

Are you kidding me? The production is had some merit, but Connick was the only reason it happened and the only reason people saw it. With a star like that, it is hard to even think about character and story. I think Marshall was credited for bringing sexy back to Broadway, well… it wasn’t her. Producers finally (and successfully) cast an attractive masculine man opposite an attractive feminine woman. That is simple math; on Broadway, we usually get the opposite of sexy. As they say, all musicals are love stories; the problem is sexual chemistry and believability.

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#47re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:49am

Does anyone know which production this will be? Is it the London version from the early 90s which Deb Gibson was in and was basically the movie put on stage? It's the only stage version to use the song "You're the one that I want"; or is it the Bway revival from a 10 years ago? or is it something completely "new?"

munkustrap178
#48re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:11pm

mejusthavingfun, I know that you're not the brightest bulb, but you are absolutely missing the point.

I said: The show was fantastic, and Kathleen Marshall's work on it was impeccable. But yes, Connick is the only reason that the show was sell-out success.

A show can be brilliant and flop. A show can be awful and succeed. We have seen BOTH happen very recently. The fact that THE PAJAMA GAME had a short run propelled by Connick's name has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Kathleen Marshall did a brilliant job "revising" the show.

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#49re: What theatre would the grease revival fit in?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 1:14pm

I would like to see The Little Mermaid replace a Disney show - 5 i think is way too many. I think it will replace with Tarzan or Beauty.

Grease will probably replace The Wedding Singer.

I can't see Hairspray closing yet; with the film coming out it could really boost sales

Evita may not go to Broadway - the London production has been getting not so great houses - especially weekdays...if it does go to Broadway it could go to The Palace - I really cannot see Legally Blonde taking off, especially if The Wedding Singer didn't

Agree - think Young Frankenstein will replace The Producers

Sunday in the Park...Belsaco??

Videos