IDINA MENZEL

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#25re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:18am

Rico, it's people like you who give the intelligent Idina fans a bad name. Isn't it past your bedtime?

jimnysf
#26re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:23am

Idina Menzel, who? Never heard of her. Is she the one who sings "La La La La La...Loving You Do do dooddy do do I'm so in love with you..You're Beautiful...OOOOOOO (high pitched OOOOOO).

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

SweetQintheLights
#27re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:25am

s/he PMed me asking if I saw Wicked, I responded back but it doesn't seem s/he has read it so I'll post it here too.

Yes, I have seen it.

You need to stop posting for now. You just joined and you need to learn some things before posting (especially about subjects like Idina and Wicked)

First you need to read the FAQ's, second you need to watch for a couple weeks, and you need to post wearily. You're quite on the edge of people's nerves.

I've warned you. Do what you want with that.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

WickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
#28re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:52am

*sigh*

Why must all threads Wicked related turn into an Idina bash-fest? Can't we all, yes myself included, be civil to each other? Everyone has their opinions, I happen to adore Idina, but if you don't that's fine. However, that doesn't mean you have to abuse me and others who do like her... I'm not sure when it became "cool" to hate Idina and Wicked, but all fads come and go, and I would really like to see this one go. On that note, I hear Daphne sucks as Fantine...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#29re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:03am

Who dat?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jimnysf
#30re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:05am

Is she the one what sings "A Spoonfull of Sugar"?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#31re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:25am

No she sings "Timeless to Me" with Dick Latessa. Duh. Everyone knows that, c'mon now.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#32re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 10:12am

Some of you people need to show a little more respect in general to any actor/actress who can get up on a broadway stage, especially the Gershwin, and sing their guts out. I went to the Gershwin three times because Idina blew everyone away including me. I don't pay 120 plus a ticket for CRAP performances. More than a few snobs on this board disagree with the general public, and since Wicked has been #1 in Gross and in the top 3 Attendance for how long day...its safe to say the General Public has spoken. For all of you Idina Haters, shame on you. She is a talent to be reckoned with, whether she is playing Maureen, Kate, Tessa, or Elphaba....doesn't matter Idina Menzel is one of the greats! Show some respect...

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#33re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:18am

Oh, I was going to jump into this conversation, but then I cracked up about sond's comment at how "wonderful" Shoshana Bean was and that the pickings for best actress in '04 were bad. Come ON. And then I thought a little bit more about how every time Idina Menzel's name comes up, it turns into nothing but a bunch of insults thrown at her and people who like her. Really, the immature brats on this board are not the young fans, but the arrogant nobodies who think they can sling mud at everyone who has a different opinion. You are not any wiser for not liking Menzel; you just look like a brat for not accepting other people's taste without being condescending.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#34re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:27am

I hEaRt IdIdEn EsPiNeNzEl!!!!
yA! sHe RoCkZ!!!!!!
sHe'Z lIkE tOtAlLy FaBoO!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#35re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:01pm

"Or perhaps she was sick and having an off night, we all do. And yes, her last day is Dec. 30, the website says Kerry will take over Jan. 1."

Apparantly she had an off-night every time she was bootlegged. I've never heard a live recording of her that sounded not completely embarassing for her. It's amazing what computers can do for her on the cast recording.

It's much more impressive when people like Shoshana Bean not only sound amazing professionally but live as well! That means they're actually *good* and not randomly liked by a thousand 14 yr olds.

I'm sorry, I saw Idina twice and she was absolutely amazing! To judge anyone from their tony performance, where they had no real time to warm up is pretty riduculous! It is well known that Idina had strained her voice and was also sick at the Tony's. The role was a little straining and then she came back better than ever in London, all she needed was a little break. Sho on the other hand is NOT amazing, she is decent, but over does the acting and her voice is boring, and i have seen many bootlegs of Sho that were HORRIBLE. I thihnk you are pretty insulting and should stop being such a a**hole, and I am well over 14 years old.

sondhead
#36re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:30pm

"Some of you people need to show a little more respect in general to any actor/actress who can get up on a broadway stage, especially the Gershwin, and sing their guts out."

No one NEEDs to do this. They're paid for their job and if they suck they suck and actually it kinda pisses me off because I paid $100 for a non-sucky performance. I only respect people who do good performances. I saw Idina and it sounded pretty much like the Tony Awards.. and I saw her within the first two months of her run.

8 shows a week is hard, but GOOD performers are well-trained and don't get strained. I know lots of performers who perform 8 shows a week who don't get strained because they don't sing completely on their throats like Idina. THAT's what I respect!

Sargar
#37re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:37pm

to add to Spacedog78's point, I also heard that she was nervous about the height difference in radio city vs. the gershwin.

I know that if I had to be raised THAT high while belting my heart out, I'd pee my pants a little :)

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#38re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 12:56pm

Um, sondhead, Idina's vocal problems in Wicked had NOTHING to do with her technique. Her vocal strain was because she performed a week with bronchitis--in retrospect it's probably a bad idea, as she never had the chance to completely recover afterwards, since she was performing, you know, eight shows a week in one of the most vocally difficult roles around now for a year thereafter.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how her performance was "sucky" and Shoshana Bean is "wonderful." Shoshana Bean has pretty remarkable abilities, but she doesn't know the first thing about SINGING a song--that is, performing a song with meaning. She does vocal acrobatics, and she does not ACT. SHE was not doing her job. Idina Menzel was breakin' her ass in that role; there is no WAY she wasn't doing her job. The woman is an actress, which is generally what should be hired in a dramatic piece. It's not just about hitting notes.

And yes, you do have a little bit of nerve sitting back at your computer criticizing someone who has the talent and work ethic to get up there and do a damn good job. You obviously have no idea what sort of abilities it takes to do what she does, so you can't even give minor credit where it's due. But that's OK, her talent kind of speaks for itself, and it's bringing her a lot more success to than your criticism is bringing you.

(Ha. And I said I didn't want to get involved) Updated On: 11/22/06 at 12:56 PM

OxfordsLeadingMan
#39re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:21pm

I'm So Sick Of These Anti-Idina And Anti-Wicked Threads... It's Getting A Bit Ridiculous... If You Don't Like Someone Or The Show Their In, Keep It To Yourself.

snl89
#40re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:31pm

haha, this thread made me laugh when I first opened it :P but hey, maybe it'll turn into an idina love thread... I'm all for that!

aanyway,

"8 shows a week is hard, but GOOD performers are well-trained and don't get strained. I know lots of performers who perform 8 shows a week who don't get strained because they don't sing completely on their throats like Idina. THAT's what I respect!"

Idina actually IS very well trained. She's said in MANY interviews that she's very anal about her voice and takes every precaution to protect it. And, considering that she's been taking vocal lessons since she was really, really young, from what I can only assume were very qualified voice teachers, I'd be willing to bet she doesn't sing out of her throat very often re: IDINA MENZEL Really, think of it this way- she was doing 8 performances of wicked a week, for over a year on broadway. She had a VERY good attendance record, and was very rarely out. It was only in the very end, as far as I know, that her voice started getting a little bit tired. If she didn't know how to sing properly, do you really think she could have gone that long without completely destroying her voice?

Ok, so here's my over all opinion:
Idina is my favorite elphaba, and it really has nothing to do with the fact that she was the original or that she won the tony. The only slight role that might play is that she WAS the first elphaba I was introduced to- so its possible that through the recording and everything I got used to her voice in the role. But I try to stay very open minded when exploring other elphaba's, and I'd like to believe that I give all of them equal chance to wow me. And vocally, many of them have. In fact, as far as vocals go, I honestly dont feel that belting is idina's strength. She's AMAZING doing it, she really is, but listening to SWIWS actually made me realize that she's even BETTER when doing music that really shows all the colors in her voice. So, there are plenty of other people who I'm sure could sing the part of elphie just as well as idina (again though, I have become partial to her voice). Her REAL strength comes in the fact that she's the only one I really, really care about from the very beginning. I'm not quite sure what it is- I think its just that she has this nack for being extremely open, honest, and vulnerable on stage. And thats something that NOT a whole lot of people can match her with in my experience. She also KNOWS the character better than anyone else I think, probably by the nature of that she started working on it so early, but also because she seems like the kind of performer who really, really does their research. Not to say plenty of others dont either, but its just always impressed me how much time and effort and THOUGHT she seems to put into every single thing she does. So, through that, I think she just has the best understanding of the character, and therefore adds a depth to her that no one else has been able to match in my opinion. Eden has come very close, but she's the only other one. So THATS why I love idina as elphaba- she makes me feel for her sooo much more than anyone else. She could be having the worst vocal day EVER and STILL manage to give me goosebumps durring defying gravity. Because, as BroadwayGirl107 said, she doesnt MAKE it all about the vocals. She makes it about what elphaba, as a character, is going through at that moment in time. The music just happens to be there, as a means for her to express that even more clearly. This is so different than shoshana, who, though she is INCREDIBLY, freakishly talented, makes the whole thing about her abilities in singing. You could be the best singer in the world, but if you make something like defying gravity or no good deed about showing that OFF, instead of making it truly a part of telling the story and giving the character more depth, it's just going to seem fake. So many people critisize Idina's tony performance, and I totally agree, vocally it was probably the weakest I've seen from her, but what people seem to overlook about that performance is how incredible it STILL was, in spite of that. Because she was still SO in the moment and so.. real that it was amazing.

ok, wow, if I dont stop myself now I'm going to end up writing a friggin novel! (edit: ok.. I kind of already have. I apologize!) haha... but yeah... thats my opinion :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 11/22/06 at 01:31 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#41re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:43pm

AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*Runs screaming**

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

AnythingCanHappen Profile Photo
AnythingCanHappen
#42re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 2:29pm

I wasn't making fun of Idina, but rather the fact that it was called "the Idina show" (which, I know some people ONLY equate here with the role of Elphaba. which, again, I would have of loved to have seen.) and also chiding at the fact that if rico would have of done some rather easy searching, he/she probably could have of found the dates, and the name of the replacement (doubtful that he/she cares) without having to type out his/her simple post on here.

that is all.

"Don't worry, it should never be seen. It's comparable to Britney's hoo-ha." - being.jeremiah in response to the High School Musical 2 logo "You look fantastic, all you need are high heels, cake and a dream." - Amneris

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#43re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 3:08pm

You know what's hilarious here, I saw Wicked 3 times with Idina and then I saw "See What I Wanna See" not a glitch in her voice. Is it possible I saw Idina on the best four nights of her career, I doubt it. The reason why it may be called "The Idina Show" or people who don't live in glass houses want to throw stones on here is simple jealousy. I wish I had half the voice that she does. Shame on some of you for bashing a broadway diva! Next thing your going to tell me is Sherie Rene Scott is garbage too - what a joke!

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

snl89
#44re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 3:17pm

*envies RentHead2 for having seen SWIWS*

haha, I'm still bitter about not getting to see it *glares*

but yeah, I totally dont mind the whole Idina Show thing, because thats just commenting on the fangirly fanbase- which can get a bit out of hand (though, really, Idina has MANY awesome fans too, and the majority of her fans ARENT fangirls I dont think) :P But I do mind how harsh some people on here are towards her. Some of the comments I see are just... totally unnecassery. So please guys, if you dont like her or whatever, thats totally fine, but be respectful of the way in which you state it! Theres no reason to make rude comments about ANYONE you dont like, because chances are theres a bunch of people on here who ARE going to like them, and they dont want to have to read those things.

/lecture :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 11/22/06 at 03:17 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#45re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 3:45pm

Idina is leaving next week. I highly reccomend going to London to see it anyway because I hear that Burt Reynolds is going to be *FAB* in the role.

AlmostFamous2 Profile Photo
AlmostFamous2
#46re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 3:50pm

Seriously, I think Idina is amazing. This is not because I am a teenage girl, but it is because she can really belt it.

The fact that she was the first and the original actress to play the role of Elphaba gives her some credit, but the fact that she put so much passion into the role and made the role so believeable made up for her off days.

She played the role with so much conviction that it has inspired many people that being different is okay, and that is why she is so adored by the young girls.

She also works her butt off. This is one of the main reasons I respect her. She rarely missed a show, even if she was sick. That really shows someone's character on the inside. I guess she knew people were coming to see her and she didn't want to let anyone down.

If loving Idina is wrong, then I don't want to be right!

missy2
#47re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:11pm

Guys - I just got back from London where I sat in second row center and saw Idina do a FABULOUS job. I've seen here here in NYC, Chicago and Toronto many times and she blew it out of the park even more so in London (and I do believe she's alot more rested now as well).
She was amazing.

WickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
#48re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:15pm

"Guys - I just got back from London where I sat in second row center and saw Idina do a FABULOUS job. I've seen here here in NYC, Chicago and Toronto many times and she blew it out of the park even more so in London (and I do believe she's alot more rested now as well).
She was amazing."

YAY for seeing Idina and a positive post about her!!

Trekkie2
#49re: IDINA MENZEL
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:21pm

EYDINANANANA!!! sHe IS THE beST!!! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLaD SHE won 5 TONIS FoR RenT ANd WIKD!!! wHENN DOES THE mOVViE COmE OUT?

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Videos