pixeltracker

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast- Page 2

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#25re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:53am

I'm curious to know why you feel that an African-American (or Asian or Hispanic, or...) Mama Rose would not work.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#26re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:55am

But, of course, the subtitle of GYPSY is 'A Musical Fable'. It's not actually meant to be historically accurate. Just ask June Havoc.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#27re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:12pm

I'm first in line to bow to the power of Audra McDonald's voice - she is a fabulous singer and I love to listen to her.

BUT...

...she is not a great actress. THERE, I'VE SAID IT. Her acting choices are too simple, her performances are too earnest, and she doesn't have the same presence that she has when she opens up and sings. That's when she is brilliant.

Sorry. MHO.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#28re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:13pm

Theatah; for the same reason a white man couldn't play Jackie Wilson in the Jackie Wilson story. Not saying that they couldn't do it from a talent standpoint.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#29re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:13pm

The American Theatre Wing and the League of American Theatres and Producers says otherwise, Mister!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#30re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:17pm

I think we should curb this debate on mama rose before it ends up like this:
can seurat be black?

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Carl Magnum
#31re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:17pm

Coming in 2008 USHER as Frankie in Jersey Boys!!!

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#32re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:18pm

"her performances are too earnest"

D2- this doesn't make sense to me. how is earnesty in a performance a bad thing? what does that even mean?

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#33re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:20pm

She tries too hard to act. Nothing is organic - it's all voice and facial expression with no inner life.

Until she sings.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Jazzysuite82
#34re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:22pm

Here we go again with this...Carl Magnum when they do it, you can stay home. Personally I think it's a little rediculous that everything has to be soooo historically accurate. It's funny that no one screamed when all of Shakespeare's plays where all male (in fact it was law). No one said anything when Olivier played Othello (it is in fact still talked about today as one of the best performances in recent history). I could mention the white actress "playing black" in Showboat or the use of white actors playing Native Americans and Asians in countless films and plays. But the minute it's the other way around SUDDENLY there's heart attacks to be had. I say get real and get over it.

Now a white Raisin is only rediculous because it's about race relations unlike Cat. It'd be like having a Black mother in Ragtime or a white Coalhouse. That is significantly different than historical inaccuracies. It's like an all-woman's cast of Naked Boys Singing or Puppetry of the Penis...FOOLISH.

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#35re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:24pm

yawn. black or white we just had a revival a few years ago and even that seemed tired.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#36re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:27pm

It seemed tired because it wasn't well done. I'm all for a well-done CAT...no matter what race they cast.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#37re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

Anyone else think that 3 years since the last revival isnt enough time?

I'm with myManCape on this one. I'm still trying to forget Ashley Judd's butchery of one of my favorite plays.

Personally, I think this is a bad idea. What is the point of doing all-black versions of shows, except to be PC? It's just a gimmick.

Carl Magnum
#38re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

"I could mention the white actress "playing black" in Showboat or the use of white actors playing Native Americans and Asians in countless films and plays. But the minute it's the other way around SUDDENLY there's heart attacks to be had. I say get real and get over it."

Point missed Jazzy. I don't expect this to be like the SNL skit where they "White" Eddie Murphy.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#39re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:28pm

you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead.

Jazzysuite82
#40re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:35pm

Yes Carl, you did miss the point. Check out the film of Showboat...no one is really "made up". She is clearly a white actress playing mulatto. And you only really addressed 1 sentence of the whole point

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#41re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:37pm

"Personally, I think this is a bad idea. What is the point of doing all-black versions of shows, except to be PC? It's just a gimmick."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there certainly seems to be a lot less opportunities for black actors in the business. So many of the historically "great plays" are written by and for a cast of white people with the except of August Wilson plays, A Raisin in the Sun, and A Soldier's Play (and I'm sure there are a few others). Is it a bad thing that talented black actors can have the chance to dig their teeth into some of these plays. And I think the theory behind making the cast ENTIRELY and not partially black is so the production doesn't falsely read as something dealing with race relations if that isn't the focus.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 12:37 PM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#42re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:45pm

Didn't someone recently claim that the blacks lack talent?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 12:45 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#43re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:53pm

I'm currently prompting for my high school's prodcution of this.
Its very boring for me, due to the fact, the actors are very annoying in our production, but its good material.

I'm glad they'll be trying it from a different angle.
I say Taye Diggs would be good as Brick.
And James Earl Jones as Big Daddy
Audra as Maggie. Most def.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Jazzysuite82
#44re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:59pm

I agree with Rath about the Taye Diggs as Brick. Being a play with no music seems problematic for Taye having to act and all.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#45re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:11pm

I agree with D2 about Audra McDonald as Maggie. She tries too hard to act. Nothing is organic - it's all voice and facial expression with no inner life.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

philcrosby
#46re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:12pm

The theatre I worked for in little old Richmond VA did a production with an all-black cast over seven years ago ... as always regional theaters are ahead of Broadway's curve. re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

Tamara Tunie played Maggie quite magnificently, and the production was very powerful. Only a few lines of text were altered to make the show make historical sense.

The Kathleen Turner revival years ago was supposed to have featured James Earl Jones as Big Daddy, but he got cold feet and pulled out.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:15pm

Tamara Tunie could still play Maggie, no?

The Kathleen Turner production was pretty good, except for Daniel Hugh Kelly as Brick. Charles Durning as Big Daddy, Polly Holliday as Big Mama, and Debra Jo Rupp as Mae.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#48re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:15pm

well if taye is too old...maybe Mos Def as Brick? thoughts?

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Jazzysuite82
#49re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:23pm

If you think Audra isn't organic I suggest you check her out in Wit. I found that VERY organic.

Videos