Drowsy Chaperone

azeller Profile Photo
azeller
#25re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/14/07 at 6:27pm

If I had to guess, and this is purely a guess, I would assume that the last week in February would be from Feb. 26- March 4 (as opposed to the last full week in Feb.) That's purely a guess though. I asked her the other night and she just said "the last week in February." I didn't think to ask the specific dates.

"Let's admit one thing right upfront: With the possible exception of Bernadette Peters, not everyone stays young and cute forever." (NYPost 2/2/05)

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#26re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/14/07 at 7:05pm

drats! I was hoping she would be a surprise guest of Bob Martin's at Broadway Musical of 1928...oh well.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#27re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/14/07 at 8:55pm

Drowsy Chaperone is the best show on Broadway right now. That and Spring Awakening. You'll love it!

Mischief Profile Photo
Mischief
#28re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 1:50pm

Saw it last Friday. LOVED IT! It was a joy from start to finish. Sutton didn’t go on. Her standby was fine, nothing special, but perfectly fine.

I thought the concept and execution of the show was marvelous.

My only minor criticism is that I was kind of hoping The Man in Chair’s personal life would get a tad darker as the show gets sillier and takes over his apartment. I really loved the message that silly musicals can (even decades later) be inspiring and life-affirming despite real life being a disappointment.

I thought Man in Chair should have been contemplating suicide. He wants to listen to his favorite musical one last time before he dies. His love for the Drowsy Chaperon makes him realize life is worth living.

It’s almost there - with the crisis of the play being Man in Chair’s obsession with the Chaperone’s line that is obscured by the cane drop. The climax would be his decision to live and then the finale with The Man in Chair joining the show. A little more darkness with his person life (not too much more) would be a nice counter balance to the silly sweetness of the show.

Anyway, that’s a minor criticism because it works so wonderfully as it is. Excellent across the board: sets, costumes, direction, choreography, music, lyric, lighting, performers (Danny Burstein as Adolpho was a stand out) – not a weak link in the entire production.

Saw Lainie Kazan in the audience Friday night.

Alarmed to hear John Glover will be taking over for Man in Chair. He’s a fine performer, but not right for the role at all. I’m sorry, but he’s just plain creepy. There’s a sweetness that is required of the role that he just doesn’t have. He’s sure to make the show darker – but not in the right way.

This show accomplished everything it sets out to do and is a fantastically entertaining night at the theatre.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#29re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:11pm

I hate the thought of Glover taking over that part. There was a rumor going around for awhile that Colin Mochrie might get the part and I thought that would be wonderful. You're right - the part calls for a sweetness that Colin has in spades and I don't see at all in Glover.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#30re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:22pm

Sutton isn't very good in the role anymore anyways.... you can tell that she doesn't wanna be in the show anymore.

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#31re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:31pm

Well, I loved the show when I saw it!

theminutepast
#32re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:47pm

Has Sutton returned to the matinees? I know she had not been doing matinees due to a sore neck or arm. I didn't have a pleasant stage door experience with her at all, though I know others have.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#33re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:54pm

Is it good?

It should have taken home the Tony for Best Musical, IMO.

LeavelHeded
#34re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:57pm

Sad to see Bob Martin going. Hopefully he'll come back after London. But as long as Beth is in the show, it will be worth seeing.

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#35re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/16/07 at 5:48pm

I agree Liz. That's the reason I refuse to see Jersey Boys.

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#36re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/16/07 at 5:50pm

Also, do the bulk of the cast still show up most of the time? The past two times I saw it Danny was out, and the last time Bob was out. Is it safe to say that besides Beth's vacation, the whole cast will be in the show next time I see it?

wickedfanatic34 Profile Photo
wickedfanatic34
#37re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/16/07 at 6:12pm

I would also like to know that.Because every time I read a review someone is out. I think Sutton does sunday's?

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#38re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/16/07 at 11:34pm

bump

Raspberry Profile Photo
Raspberry
#39re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/17/07 at 12:29pm

I've seen it six times on a variety of days and times, and I only had understudies at two of those performances. I'm always amazed by how many understudies people have seen when they talk about the show. I had a standby once each for Janet, the Chaperone, Man in Chair, Trix, and Underling. That's all.

I would think you'd have a good chance of seeing everyone, but maybe I'm just lucky or something.

"I just want a story and a few good songs that will take me away. I just want to be entertained. I mean, isn't that the point?"

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#40re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/17/07 at 1:23pm

I've also seen it six times and seen understudies twice. I don't want to go again if there are gonna be understudies for the lead roles. I hate it!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#41re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/17/07 at 1:29pm

i have seen it 5 times and only once saw an understand... it was bad.

#42re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:16pm

any rumors of any understudies tomorrow? im hoping to get tickets of TKTs, but knowing my luck, that wont happen...

Raspberry Profile Photo
Raspberry
#43re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/21/07 at 11:20pm

If you're worried about your luck getting tickets, don't be. Right now, Drowsy is usually 50% off at TKTS on weekdays.

If you're worried about you luck with understudies, well...... good luck!!?

"I just want a story and a few good songs that will take me away. I just want to be entertained. I mean, isn't that the point?"

#44re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:43am

got tkt tickets up on the mezz, and not one understudy. and the show was wonderful.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#45re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:54am

Aw I love this show. Nothing against Jersey Boys, but I wish Drowsy won the Tony for Best Musical...it deserved all that it won.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

wickedfanatic34
#46re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/22/07 at 5:50pm

I'm seeing the show Sunday. Hope to have no understudies, but i will enhoy it if their are. I usually have bad luck and see the understudies for the main roles. Kinda sucks. Maybe my luck will change with this show!

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#47re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:53am

just got tickets to see it tonight..hopefully no understudies will be in..

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#48re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/23/07 at 3:28pm

I'm hoping to see it in early May, but I want to see Georgia Engel in it. I hope she's still with the show. Being a Minnesotan, I am fond of her as Georgette on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

wickedfanatic34
#49re: Drowsy Chaperone
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:35pm

I'm not sure if Engel will still be in the show. Umless she renews' her contract.

Videos