Matthew Passion

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:18am

yea, so the marketing's prurient -- welcome to 2007. now, how 'bout we SEE the show before we condemn it?

But the point people are making is about the MARKETING: the method by which the producers try to get people to spend their money and buy tickets to the show. We have every right to talk about the marketing without spending our money to see the damn show. If the marketing makes the piece look degrading to us, we're not going to buy tickets and the show is going to close.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/3/07 at 12:18 AM

whatever2
#26re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:20am

it's ALL overdone ... look at the pix promoting Spring Awakening!?! and eight million other examples ...

im sorry that sex sells, but no one one this board is going to change that. it's not a special cross gay men have to bear ...

last time: look beyond the incredibly hot pix -- is there substance in this play or not? that's pretty much what really matters, no?

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#27re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:35am

I don't know... SA's marketing is a little more mysterious and varied. Specifically the cover picture on the CD and poster is very vague. It can seem like passion, rape, a gentle embrace, or whatever. And they aren't topless.

Yes, I know that sex sells EVERYWHERE, not just to gay men. That point has been suitably made. It's just sooooo singular with us. Straight men are also marketed to using equally superficial things such as money, power, etc. Gay men, it's usually just pecs and abs.

Living in a big city with a gay ghetto and a TON of local gay publications, I see how constant it is.

whatever2
#28re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:48am

sorry ... it's 2007 -- if you really live in a big city, there's no gay "ghetto". gay neighborhood, mebbe -- i have appalling billboards for "gay televison" in mine -- but it's not the ghetto of 20 years ago.

im sorry you feel so marginalized, but i dont know of a "big city" that does that to gay people anymore -- at least not without their consent. (go beyond the big city and it's a very different conversation, i agree.)

perhaps we should agree to disagree, but this board is about theater. usually, people SEE shows before they're "insulted" by them.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#29re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 1:03am

I'm in Chicago. Was in "Boys Town" (East Lakeview) twice in the last week.

Big old gay ghetto, though certainly not the ghetto of 10 years ago (its prime). Tons of straight folks moving in, but the hood's (well, the area chamber of commerce) hanging on. The 15' rainbow flag metal towers on each block attest to that. Stacks of gay rags in EVERY business doorway do too, a dozen gay bars in 1/2 half mile, the HUGE crowds on weekend nights, etc.

The marketing's annoying me; the play's not offending me. And we can TOTALLY agree to disagree. re: Matthew Passion

whatever2
#30re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 9:24am

one review is in, anyway:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/10421

ack!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#31re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 9:54am

Sounds like a winner.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

manderson05
#32re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:01am

WOW! I have to say that I totally agree that it was offensive as both a gay man and a christian and I can say that becaue I saw it. I agree with the review totally. It was all forced and cliched. If I was reviewing it myself, I would have probably picked it apart even more.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#33re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:02am

It's only for 12 performances people. If you are offended or think you will be offended then don't go see it. If you have seen it and were offended then take comfort in the fact that it will be all over this weekend.

craig2
#34re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:16am

This piece is a showcase and as such a work in progress. I was able to see it Saturday night and there were great moments and weak moments. It may be a bit heavy handed at times but the themes are good and need to be discussed. If nothing else it is serving that purpose.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#35re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:32am

I remember seeing the audition notice for it and thinking the concept was highly questionable. Turns out my instincts were right.

Besides, judging from those publicity photos, I definitely don't have the abs to be in it.

That said, let's not lie. I would probably see it for free.

RainbowHigh2 Profile Photo
RainbowHigh2
#36re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:43am

I saw it the first night so I wanted to wait to hear from others how they felt about it. I agree with the review. It had its moments but needs work. The scene when the two actors who play the killers are dancing while Matthew Shepard was tied to the fence was very confusing. I believe the actors are playing multiple roles but you can't distinguish between them - I was wondering if these were the killers or angels. Maybe they should just write a play about only Matthew Shepard.

I have to say, though, the advertising certainly got me into the theater.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#37re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 11:51am

Just got a ticket to see this on Friday...I hope it's as bad as everyone says it is...I'm going because I'm a flopaholic (and for the hot men).
Updated On: 4/3/07 at 11:51 AM

spintoboy
#38re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:10pm

WAT: I saw it over the weekend, and believe me, if you are looking for a flop with hot men, you will not be disappointed. In fact, if you do a Google search for "flop with hot men," it ought to direct you to the web site for MATTHEW PASSION. I agree totally with the review on the Theatermania site; "inept" is a perfect word to describe it. However, you will find that there are some absolutely terrific singing voices among the cast, particularly the three guys who function as a Greek chorus.

I was surprised to find that James Royce Edwards, despite his torso, was not "hot" at all. On the other hand, Craig Ramsay and Timothy John Mandala definitely fall into the "hot" category. (The two of them get to show a lot of skin: they play go-go boys in a gay bar dancing in short shorts, two thieves in loincloths who are crucified along with Jesus, and they dance a bare-chested pas de deux after killing Matthew Shepard.)

P.S. Per the program, it is an Equity-Approved Showcase. All but one of the performers are Equity members. Updated On: 4/3/07 at 12:10 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#39re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:14pm

"go-go boys in a gay bar dancing in short shorts, two thieves in loincloths who are crucified along with Jesus, and they dance a bare-chested pas de deux after killing Matthew Shepard"

this might be more fun than In My Life!

RainbowHigh2 Profile Photo
RainbowHigh2
#40re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 12:16pm

It was Timothy John Mandala that got me to buy a ticket. He was the hottest cast member of Naked Boys Singing when I saw it, and someone told me he's straight. I'm so used to seeing him naked that I found it interesting to see him clothed. And when did Craig Ramsay become such a bear?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#41re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:50pm

The music is really pretty on the show's website. Craig Ramsay is a really cool dude!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 10:50 PM

woodscommaelle2
#42re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:54am

Are you on glue? James Royce Edwards is completely hot! Not to mention he sounds like an angel in this production and does an amazing job of delivering dialogue straight from the King James Bible in a contemporary play. Not that the show doesn't have problems. . . but I don't think the cast is the biggest worry the creative team should have.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#43re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:59am

Craig has definitely bulked up and I love the beard.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

joeyinpa
#44re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:45pm

WOW! I really don't get all the hatred towards this lovely show? I saw it last sunday and was very moved. While I'm well aware of the hip factor of bashing a show one has never seen, much less ever dreamed of producing, directing and or starring in, to actually be "offended" ? What year is this? A gay man from the mid-west is offended? My suggestion is to go back to your self-hating roots and never accept a free ticket to a show EVER again.( I will never believe U went to see the show on a whim!...FREE!) One would certainly never want to offend thee.I mean really.....? OFFENDED? Get a life dude. And just because you haven't been laid in ages......gay sex still lives on. With or without you. Which I might add......has nothing to do with the play! Get off the cross Helen.......we need the wood for heat! Why would one move to NYC from the mid-west and not expect to be offended??? I bet U have all of Bill O'Rielly's books(first editions to be even gayer!)OFFENDED????? As if!

Fontybell
#45re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 6:18pm

I really enjoyed the show. It's a showcase - not under any pretense of being a full production. It's still "in the works," as I understand. Most of the cast very talented and entertaining, most especially Craig Ramsay. (who, I might add, is GORGEOUS. does he model?)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#46re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 7:55pm

I'm not even sure which poster joeyinpa is even talking about... It's like he's combined several of the postings. (unless I'm missing something..)

If I'm the midwest guy he's mentioning, I never said I was offended. re: Matthew Passion

toomeytwopiece Profile Photo
toomeytwopiece
#47re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:49pm

That review just goes to show you that it isn't ALL about abs and muscles. I don't think I have ever read such blatant displeasure with some actors' line readings. That's unfortunate.

I can't say I am too sad though, despite the hard work that the actors probably put into the show, the packaging grossed me out. If you are going to use that kind of in-your-face tacky sexual imagery, you better be making fun of it. In the theater, that's one of the few places imagery like that belongs. Now, don't flame me, I would have said the same thing if it were women tied up or doing a bare-chested dance.

I really believe that there could have been a clever, classier way to market that show. ALL of the actors have beautfiul faces. I bet that people would have been as interested in going if the posters had all of their faces, in intense moments. That would not only have been eye candy, but thought provoking.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#48re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/8/07 at 12:34am

Saw this over the weekend. In short, it is NOWHERE near as bad as people have made it out to be -- OR as gross as the marketing would suggest. In fact, it's kind of surprisingly engaging.

While there are moments when the messages of spirituality, individual diginity, and human rights are completely "in your face," there are also some incredibly wrenching and tender scenes that transcend the melodrama and camp of the production. We've seen better writing and performances focusing on these issues in Kushner's ANGELS IN AMERICA, Kaufman's THE LARAMIE PROJECT, and McNally's LOVE, VALOUR, AND COMPASSION and TAKE ME OUT, so some of the story, particularly the narrative thread around Jim and his struggles with being gay, being loved, and being HIV positive, is highly derivative.

Still, there is something there. Since it's a "showcase" and a new work, I hope it will be refined and redone with a new director. The current production suffers because the author/directors are too close to it to be objective in cutting what at times can only be described as melodramtic drivel and oversentimentality.

Of particular note are Jeff Applegate, a brilliant tenor who sings wonderfully in the chorus, and Jay Sullivan, who plays several principal roles and proves himself fairly versatile in a very limited piece. Both of these guys, while not the "beefcakes" featured in the marketing, are clearly talented fellows who should find better roles in stronger material, either on stage or screen.

Note to Phil Hall (author, composer/lyricist, and musical director): the next time this is produced, please skip the pre-curtain apologetic for the show and what it means. Let the work speak for itself. Your little speech about tolerance struck me as completely condescending and superficial. It took me about 15 minutes to forget your "commercial interruption" for being gay AND being spirtual. Your actors had to work that much harder to pull me back into the world you'd originally wanted me to visit. Completely unprofessional and unnecessary.

Updated On: 4/8/07 at 12:34 AM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#49re: Matthew Passion
Posted: 4/8/07 at 12:50am

I was just reading the cast list on the website, and one of the actors is actually named Matthew Shepard? How weird is that.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Videos