pixeltracker

The Pirate Queen Snubbed- Page 2

The Pirate Queen Snubbed

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#25re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 2:33am

I personally think this whole Pirate Queen thing is RIDICULOUS.

I don't care if people find the show "a mess". It seems everyone wants to bring this show down and I don't get it.

Maybe it's the budget.

Maybe it's because of the people who wrote it.

I don't know, nor do I care.

All I know is, people have put a LOT of hard work, a LOT of money, a LOT of time, and most importantly, a LOT of PASSION into this show. It's extremely apparent and obvious when you see The Pirate Queen on stage. Stephanie alone has enough passion and talent that she should win a Tony right now, or at LEAST be nominated for one.

I think this is a disgrace and my heart truly aches for the poor memebers of the Pirate Queen because they deserve better than THIS.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 6:17am

The term is piling on meaning this is the final dig the critics can get in

Mrs R & I enjoyed it but most did not. Thems the breaks

Poster Emeritus

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#27re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:06am

I agree that nominating Spring Awakening for costumes over Pirate Queen is ridiculous and a deliberate insult on the part of the nominating committee. The nominations should recognize this kind of effort and attention to detail. I'm not saying PQ should have won best costumes, because ultimately costumes only matter if they're in service of a well told story. I also think the lighting and orchestrations deserved recognition. Did Jonathan Tunick really need two noms this year?

I had also hoped Hadley would get a nod, because this sort of new talent deserves recognition. Unfortunately I don't think either the writing or score give Steph enough chance to shine, no one could eke a Tony worthy performance out of that role. I'd still give it to Stephanie over Laura Bell Bundy though.

It's no secret that Doherty and McColgan would have liked to be able to market Pirate Queen in the future as a "Tony Nominated" musical. Unfortunately the Broadway theater community isn't much different from high school, and this year PQ just isn't cool.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#28re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:36am

I'm mostly mad that this was snubbed for CHOEGRAPHY! How did Legally Blonde get choegraphy over this? Even Spring Awakening, I mean...I don't know, but the dancing in The Pirate Queen was unique for Broadway and insanely good
I also think it wouldve been nice to nominate the show for costumes and set design. Spring Awakening got both Set Design AND costuming over Pirate Queen.

Hey, I really enjoyed this show, and have no clue why all the hate flows for it.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

theaterbiz
#29re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:39am

okay - lets get real - snubbed? The show stinks. The producers were living in world of faint hope clause thinking Tony would save them. Shows like this come and go - it is the circle of Broadway life. This queen needs to go back to palm beach and retire.

kelzama
#30re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:50am

Add me to the list of the baffled for the costume snub.

Stephthestar, your costumer's comments confuse me also. A quick search on QEI shows historical portraits, many of which are clearly templates for her costumes, right down to jewelry, collars and hairstyle. Is the white dress you're referring to the "nightgown"?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#31re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:04am

Was Queen Elizabeth's hair really neon orange too? Is that historically accurate as well?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

SorryGrateful
#32re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:16am

"All I know is, people have put a LOT of hard work, a LOT of money, a LOT of time, and most importantly, a LOT of PASSION into this show. It's extremely apparent and obvious when you see The Pirate Queen on stage."

I agree, but all those things went into all the other shows as well, shows that weren't boring, trite and silly.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#33re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:18am

Yes, her hair was orange.

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#34re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:44am

When the reviews came out, and the producers seemed to make extra effort on marketing and PR they seemed to me very brave (and rich). it seemed they're building on word-of-mouth, that they are going to create through endless positive PR exposure.

do you think the show has a chance now, with negative reviews and no chance of tony?

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#35re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:48am

Oh shoot, Tech -

DRG and Musicalkid are givin' you avatar competition! :)

TechEverlasting
#36re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:50am

PQ's box office went up a bit this past week. How could the lack of Tony's be any more damaging than the reviews they received?

These producers are determined, and they seem willing to spend whatever it takes to promote their show. If I were McColgan and Doherty I would throw some serious money into running commercials during the broadcast that so many of their potential audience members will be watching on June 10.

Of course the Sopranos series finale might have already sold all of its ad space.

Edit: I love those Avatars. Keep 'em coming!

Updated On: 5/16/07 at 10:50 AM

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#37re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:52am

PQ's box office went up (a whole 0.9%) the week before the Tony noms. No telling how much, or even if, the noms will affect their sales. Guess we'll find out next week.

queenbee2
#38re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:08am

I tried to stay away from the boards during the past few weeks with awards and such going on, as I knew there would be nary a kind comment towards what was my favorite show of the season. But this morning I couldn't resist and had to see what was being said after yesterday's slap in the PQ face.

Of course the show SHOULD have been nominated for costumes. And of course it SHOULD have been nominated for choreography. Not to mention for one of the most stunning lighting designs in this or any other season of late. And were the show received better, at least 3 or 4 of the actors SHOULD have been recognized for their work. But it was NEVER going to happen. It was abundantly clear in the press and in the Broadway community since the show opened in Chicago that PQ was never going to be given any love or respect, and for whatever reason (rich producers, successful FRENCH composers, a distaste for this genre of musical...who knows?) that this show would have to fight an uphill battle from the get go. So while I had some distant hope that the show would be recognized for something, I had a feeling it probably wouldn't be. And then when it happened, and they were completely shut out, I realized what a joke these awards really are. With all due respect to other shows and their creative teams- once you nominate Spring Awakening and Grey Gardens for their costumes over PQ, it becomes very clear that a strong statement is intentionally being made that no matter what, this show will never be advertising itself as a "Tony Nominated" show.

But you know what? I don't think it's going to matter.

It will probably still last longer than many other shows that were nominated. Their numbers, even after some of the worst reviews in recent memory and hugely discounted tickets, have still stayed steady. And despite SPECULATION on their HUGE weekly nut and how they are living on the edge of getting kicked out of the Hilton at any moment, I have it on very good authority that their numbers are well above what anyone involved thought they'd be after such scathing reviews and intentionally hurtful gossip reporting. And they are WELL above what their stop clause would be in their contracts with The Hilton, and have thus far been nowhere near such a low attendance where they would be evicted. From what I've heard, those involved with the show get a good laugh out of reading speculation as to what their weekly running costs must be, seeing them over estimated sometimes by hundreds of thousands of dollars on this and other message boards. Look at the show, people. Often (sometimes to the detriment of the piece, I admit) there is nothing more than an actor standing alone on the stage singing with maybe a ships wheel there as a set piece. Another tribute to the incredible lighting design that people go away thinking this is such an expensive show to run. Of course, it isn't cheap! But if you don't know what the numbers are, then be quiet. And don't assume.

I freely admit that I have a friend closely involved with this show behind the scenes, and hope that they, along with the rest of the PQ team have jobs for a long time. But more importantly, I hope all involved took a collective sigh of relief yesterday, and realized they've made it through the worst of it. Their out of town tryout was ripped apart. Their preview process was closely scrutinized. Their opening was met with terrible reviews. Michael Reidel and company did their best to stir up enough gossip to get them kicked out of their theater. And now the Tony nominators have made it abundantly clear that these pirates are not welcome on Broadway.

Now take a deep breath. Realize that a lot of people (certainly enough to keep you running) are still showing up to see what the writers of Miss Saigon and Les MIz along with the producers of Riverdance have come up with. Enjoy the fact that (at least at the numerous performances I've seen) people are enjoying your show every night. And embrace the fact that now it's just a job. Albeit, what I think is a pretty special job.

And hopefully people will leave you alone for a while.

-QB
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 11:08 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#39re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:48am

Right On Queenie!

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#40re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:00pm

Well said, QB. Here's a question though - why would the show's previews being held in Chicago make a difference?

Just curious.

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.

VIETgrlTerifa
#41re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:03pm

Although I'm with the majority in regards to the quality of this show, I do think the fact it was snubbed for Costumes, Choreography, and Lighting (which were what most people were positive about) just shows how high school the community can be.

However, I wish some of the PQ fans could just admit that many here don't like it because of the two most important elements of a musical...the score and the book.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

danhattan
#42re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:15pm

Thank you Queenbee. I truly think you put it best. My heart goes out to this show and it's incredible cast. This blatant and undeserved snub just makes the Tony Award committee look ridiculous. I don't want to take away from the nominated, and congrats to them for being recognized, but "The Pirate Queen" deserves to be among them. I had a terrible feeling this would be the case though. The show has been met with negativity from the start and honestly I cannot understand why.

I attended last night's performance of "The Pirate Queen." When I saw they didn't get a single nomination I thought I would go to support them. It was a smaller house but I hear Tuesdays are never busy. I didn't know what to expect from the cast. Multiple absences? Sour grapes? I am happy to report it was a full cast with a most inspiring performance. Stephanie and Hadley were amazing. There chemistry gets better and better. And their singing is some of the BEST on Broadway. Linda Belgord was as fabulous as ever. And the ensemble was strong and proud. Not a "marked" performance on that stage. This cast should be applauded for it's strength during adversity. This is one thing that has truly made me love this show. From the begining people have tried to bring them down yet as a group they stand proud. Bravo to all involved. This it the perfect example of true professionalism.

I am hoping for the best with this show. I'd love "The Pirate Queen" to be around for years, "unyeilding and unbowed."

danhattan
#43re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:15pm

Thank you Queenbee. I truly think you put it best. My heart goes out to this show and it's incredible cast. This blatant and undeserved snub just makes the Tony Award committee look ridiculous. I don't want to take away from the nominated, and congrats to them for being recognized, but "The Pirate Queen" deserves to be among them. I had a terrible feeling this would be the case though. The show has been met with negativity from the start and honestly I cannot understand why.

I attended last night's performance of "The Pirate Queen." When I saw they didn't get a single nomination I thought I would go to support them. It was a smaller house but I hear Tuesdays are never busy. I didn't know what to expect from the cast. Multiple absences? Sour grapes? I am happy to report it was a full cast with a most inspiring performance. Stephanie and Hadley were amazing. There chemistry gets better and better. And their singing is some of the BEST on Broadway. Linda Belgord was as fabulous as ever. And the ensemble was strong and proud. Not a "marked" performance on that stage. This cast should be applauded for it's strength during adversity. This is one thing that has truly made me love this show. From the begining people have tried to bring them down yet as a group they stand proud. Bravo to all involved. This it the perfect example of true professionalism.

I am hoping for the best with this show. I'd love "The Pirate Queen" to be around for years, "unyeilding and unbowed."

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#44re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:57pm

I still think Steph deserved one.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#45re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:02pm

Seriously...I think one person doesn't like a show and it infects the minds of so many others.

I'm sad for it, I think it deserved at least 4 noms (costumes,lighting, choreography and Steph in best actress).

Hopefully it will last until August so I can see it again!!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

TechEverlasting
#46re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:04pm

danhattan - do you remember telling me I was nuts a few months ago when I predicted that Pirate Queen wouldn't even be nominated for costumes?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#47re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:08pm

It should have got a costume nod(and this is coming from someone who hates the show) it seems they have snubbed it out right because of poor reviews even though it did deserve that award.

I don't think it should have got choreography , im a dancer and whilst the dancing was ok it was very repetitive as well as all been seen before.

I wouldn't worry about its tony snub affecting box office though(no one watches it anymore haha) and even the most passionate fans know that it will be closed soon anyway.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

TechEverlasting
#48re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:13pm

songanddanceman2, why do you think PQ is going to be closed soon?

I think the summer tourist crowds are going to keep their box office steady if not growing for the next few months. We've been reading predictions of PQ's imminent demise here for months now, and it's getting a bit boring.

I'm a lot more concerned about Grey Gardens and Company closing soon.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#49re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:18pm

Oh i don't mean soon as in like next week i meant before the year is out(it will probably hold steady at about 75 percent over the summer).

I do agree about Grey Gardens and Company, the future doesn't look bright for them.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Videos