pixeltracker

Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's- Page 2

Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#25re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:29am

Perhaps on Broadway Patti will concentrate less on herself and more on Rose... but either way it'll still be amazing!

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#26re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:42am

I saw both. I love Bernadette's 100 times more than Lupone's. I can never understand Lupone's appealing.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#27re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:54am

I'm heavily biased because I'm not a LuPone fan and I adore Bernadette, so of course I say Bernadette. I was blessed to have seen her as Rose three times.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#28re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 2:38am

"Perhaps on Broadway Patti will concentrate less on herself and more on Rose... but either way it'll still be amazing!"

Like that will ever happen, LuPone concentrating less on herself, Honey the only thing LuPone cares about is herself!

It's all about me...

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 2:44am

And what about the original Rose? Merman. You really think Merman was a gracious caring woman? No. She was a real bitch. She demanded respect. Merman makes LuPone look like an angel. I don't think Merman would stand outside of the stage doors in today's world and sign and take pictures with fans.
Updated On: 1/5/08 at 02:44 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#30re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:05am

Bern's hair, Patti's nose, and vocals by the Merm.

sounds like a wet dream to me.

in all seriousness, I saw both Bernadette and Patti play Rose and...I liked Bernadette quite a lot, but Patti was absolutely amazing. Patti has the acting skills and the pipes for the part, and while I felt like she and Bernadette made similar acting choices, I thought Patti took them further.

and re: the Merm...she wouldn't talk to her fans at the stage door today, she'd probably eat them for snack.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Debbie1313 Profile Photo
Debbie1313
#31re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:18am

Bernadette's Mamma was fantastic

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#32re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:59am

Bernadette was at a certain disadvantage. She didn't have the benefit of first developing her performance with an out-of-town tryout, like Merman, or first in London and on national tour like Lansbury, or on the road for a year like Daly, or at Ravinia and City Center first like Lupone. She had to figure out how to sing it, act it, scream it eight times a week, in front of the nastiest audiences in the world: Broadway preview audiences. And the New York theatre industry showed its true colors by eating her alive, reveling in taking down one of the few genuine marquee names Broadway has left. Her illness just prior to opening, and immediately after, was another element that clouded the image of what she achieved. But once the dust settled and the bloodlust subsided, she ended up giving thoughtful, interesting, well-sung performances as Rose. While Bernadette is not a natural steamroller or loud mouthed monster type, she's too smart and savvy a performer to not figure out a way to make a role work for her. She landed the jokes, delivered on the songs and showed many different colors of the character.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#33re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:12pm

SMAXIE what a wonderful thoughtful comment on Bernadette's performance.

I am a great fan of Bernadette and saw the second preview and then again a month before it closed and she had very much developed her portrayal and had myself and many others in the audience sobbing as she sang ROSE'S TURN. She is a very emotional lady and a "powerhouse" of a different type from Patti. Bernadette also nailed the comedy and sexiness of Rose and though I do believe she was let down by the stylised production and Mendes direction she never disappointed in the role.

I haven't seen Lupone in Gypsy yet (but will do in March) so cannot comment on her portrayal.

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#34re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:16pm

Bernadette and the 2003 revival in general was far superior (IMO) to the Patti production. It was a more developed and well rounded production. I just thought Patti was like "I'm Patti LuPone, listen to my amazing voice and how crazy I can be" the whole time.....

robinycus
#35re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:21pm

Agreed. I found it to be a little obnoxious. If you want to see a great performance of Rose, go to that site and look at live news reel clips of Lansbury performing Some People, Together and Rose's Turn from Gypsy.

I didn't think Peters was perfectly suited for the part, but was never the less entertained and somewhat intrigued by her interpretation.
Updated On: 1/5/08 at 12:21 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#36re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:35pm

re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's

I was too young at the time to see her, but Lansbury can do anything. She can play a monster and still make you love her and care about her, plus she had enough vocal chops to do justice to the score. Everything I've seen of her performance, including the footage alluded to above and some other footage that exists of her performance, suggests that she was just ideal. Plus, she got the best logo!

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#37re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 3:27pm

I'm just curious as to when the tickets for LuPone's 'Gypsy' will go on sale, so I can officially say i'm going and then, once I see her in the flesh, officially compare performances!

...until then.

So... when DO tickets go on sale?!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#38re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 3:51pm

Who cares?

It's Ethel and Angela.

Patti and Bernadette are B-level divas and always will be.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

philcrosby
#39re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 5:21pm

I saw Lansbury do it and it was one of the single greatest performances I have ever seen. Funny, sexy, and scary. And she SANG THE SCORE. Something neither Daly or Peters (as wonderful as they may have been in other ways) could do.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#40re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 5:52pm

Give me a B-level diva any old day then!

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#41re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 6:16pm

I saw LuPone perform Gypsy for 2 nights at Ravinia. It was stunning and breathtaking. She owned the stage and the role.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 6:27pm

Angela definitely sounded GREAT singing the score, but they lowered keys quite a bit to suit her voice. But I think Patti comes closest to singing the score in the style of Merman. Peters would have benefited from lower keys like Angela.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#43re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 6:31pm

Even Merman had the keys lowered when she was in the show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 7:35pm

Yeah, she had "Everything's Coming Up Roses" lowered one whole step - so she didn't have to belt her famous high C. LuPone belts the high C at the end of her "Some People" Reprise (at City Center, and I assume she will on Broadway too).

Angela was several steps lower, but she still sounded sensational.

Updated On: 1/5/08 at 07:35 PM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#45re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 7:41pm

I can't really pick one or any of them.

I mean, Merman was the original. She was ROSE. It was designed for her. She sings it fantastically, and she owned the stage. From all accounts, she even acted the part pretty well. She's definitive. Tyne Daly really seemed to get the part at it's core. She best got Rose's desperation. Bernadette was a little more sexy and conniving. She was like a spider, not a tiger.

For me (FOR ME!! FOR MEEEE!), I think Angela and Patti come closest to a full package. Both them sing the score with the power and presence of Merman, but they also bring the acting that is equal to Daly and Peters.

But, we can never forget Betty Buckley actually "batting a thousand."

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

#46re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 8:13pm

i feel Bernie is too sympathetic to be a powerful ROSE...you have to make her a monster & THEN make the audience empathize, whereas everyone falls in love with Bernie the moment they see her.

on the other hand, i dont think The Patti would do so well with THE WITCH in INTO THE WOODS.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#47re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 8:24pm

I was just thinking as Patti as the Witch! How weird would that be? I just cannot see it.

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#48re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 8:38pm

They'll probably record it. Laura Benanti wouldn't have signed on if it weren't being recorded -- notice how most of her projects are commercial AND recorded. Plus, considering how much thought was put behind this sole production (from Ravinia, to City Centers, to possible talks of London, to finally announcing Broadway!), you can bet they will preserve this...

When I saw Bernadette, I thought she was AMAZING! I was 13 years old and she was the first Rose I saw, besides Rosalind Russell. Now I'm 21 and I've seen Patti LuPone and a few others. Bernadette made choices and I appreciate that. They just weren't active ones.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#49re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 8:51pm

Wow. The absurdities in this thread continue to pile up.

Videos