Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#1Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:10pm

Which Gypsy show do you prefer Patti Lupones or Bernadette Peters?
I really loved Bernadette Peters when I saw it.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#2re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:12pm

I wish I had gotten the chance to see Bernadette Peters' Rose! I love the recording!
But I really really loved Patti's Rose! I can't wait to see it again and to get my hands on that recording!

zooxanthellae
#3re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:14pm

I hope so! Most productions get recordings, but who knows... as there are already a gazillion gypsy recordings.

RyToast1
#4re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:15pm

It's too early to say yes or no as of right now, but I'm pretty sure it'll be recorded.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#5re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:15pm

well since they didn't record it for the City Center, I am hoping they will for the revival. just call it THE NEW BROADWAY CAST RECORDING. Patti's name should sell tons of it.

robinycus
#6re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:18pm

Neither.

zooxanthellae
#7re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:18pm

I agree, they should definitely make a recording... it's only fair after depriving us of one during the city center run.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#8re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:20pm

I've seen some "recordings" of Miss Patti's "Gypsy" at Ravinia. She was fabulous!! I do recall seeing a Tony Awards show where Bernadette performed a segment from "Gypsy". B.P. is a talented lady, but she has a voice that sometimes reminds me of Betty Boop. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

patti+bettysgirl Profile Photo
patti+bettysgirl
#9re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:20pm

I've only seen clips of Lupone's Rose but of course I thought it was amazing. Then again, I'm biased.
I did see Peter's and I have to say that she was also incredible. They both bring something different to the role. I don't think I can decide fairly though until I see the entire show with Patti.

zooxanthellae
#10re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:23pm

I forgot about that clip of Bernadette from the Tony's! I thought that was amazing! With that said, I think, from what little I've seen/heard Bernadette acted the role better, but Patti was more vocally impressive.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#11re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:25pm

LuPone's. Both as a Rose and as a production.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#12re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:26pm

No matter how great LuPone or anyone else is, I'm always gonna love Bernie. It was my first Broadway show. But, my comments have nothing to do with performance, so I'll end here.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

thevolleyballer
#13re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:37pm

Bern's hair, Patti's nose, and vocals by the Merm.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:40pm

Bernadette in Gypsy? What a terrible idea. She's horribly miscast for Rose.

I can't imagine any PROFESSIONAL theater would ever allow her to play that part. She doesn't have the voice for it, and she could never pull off the tough edge you need for that character. She'd probably end up playing it cute and sexy, which would be completely wrong.

Bernadette as Rose: Hopefully that's a piece of wrongheaded miscasting that will never see the light of day--or, if it does, hopefully one that will be quickly forgotten!

patti+bettysgirl Profile Photo
patti+bettysgirl
#15re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:43pm

Paljoey, check out her performance of "Rose's Turn" from the Tonys. She did a pretty impressive job and sings the hell out of it.

thevolleyballer
#16re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:49pm

PJ, I'm just going to sit here and wait for your response to that statement. :)

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#17re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:50pm

"Bern's hair, Patti's nose, and vocals by the Merm."

*Hysterically laughing*

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#18re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:55pm

Wait--you're telling me she really PLAYED the part?

You're pulling my leg, right?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:55pm

She didn't PLAY it. She strained to sing it. re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#20re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:56pm

But she did a great job. :) (Maybe I'm a little biased. re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's )

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:00am

Come on, you're making this up! Bernadette Peters would NEVER play Rose--she'd be HUMILIATED.

And no one in their right mind would LET her play it! That would be SADISTIC! Making her go out, night after night, playing a part she's unsuited for and singing a score she can't handle!

Bernadette in Gypsy--boy, what a DUMB idea!

LOLZ!

Updated On: 1/5/08 at 12:00 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:05am

Someone like Patti LuPone with real vocal stamina in the style of the Merm sounds like a much better choice for the role.

friedrichVT
#23re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:24am

Bernadette's acting of the role put Lupone to shame. Patti has the voice but it was all about her,not the material. It may have been a vocal strain but Bernie's Rose was a fully developed character. I never bought for a moment that I was watching Rose with LUpone . I felt like I was watching her prove to the world how amazing she would be in the role. I gave her two chances...wasn't a fan. Her supporting cast elevated that production ,not her...just my opinion.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:27am

Yeah but it was MEANT to be all about Patti. Patti was banned from this role for a couple decades. And she's wanted to play it since the Tyne Daly revival. It was a HUGE deal when Laurents made up with her and allowed her to play it. Therefore it is a big deal Patti is finally playing Rose.

There's no doubt Patti is still developing her character for the full scale revival.

Updated On: 1/5/08 at 12:27 AM

zooxanthellae
#25re: Lupone's Gypsy or Bernadette's
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:29am

Perhaps on Broadway Patti will concentrate less on herself and more on Rose... but either way it'll still be amazing!

Videos