pixeltracker

Spiderman Musical Update- Page 2

Spiderman Musical Update

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#25re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 1:20pm

Yes.

TooDarnHot, what'd you think of the songs you heard?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#26re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 1:23pm

Bono and the Edge is mainly why I am interested and I think Julie Taymor is a genius
Updated On: 5/23/08 at 01:23 PM

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#27re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 2:14pm

Can someone PM me a link to these songs? I really want to hear them, although anything'll probably sound good compared to that disgusting demo I had before.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#28re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 2:18pm

I'm interested in what the technical aspect of this show and what it will all look like.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#29re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 3:49pm

How can one hear the demo?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 5/23/08 at 03:49 PM

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#30re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 5:37pm

Well, I think it will be an interesting production, especially with Bono and the Edge involved. At least it will probably be LOUD. I can't help but be curious about this since I grew up with Spiderman and Marvel Comics. They put too much in that last Spiderman but I still enjoyed it.

The kids are going to go crazy if they put together a good show and music.

**DrTheatre-what a cute puppy..

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#31re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 5:59pm

I think it will most likely get the hilton. It is big enough and can handle the flying and the technical aspects of this show.

It wouldn't go into the New Amsterdam even if Poppins wasn't playing there. Aside from the fact that the only reason why Lion King left that theatre was to make room for Poppins. But, it is a disney theatre and I just don't see another show that isn't a Disney show play there.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

localonedude
#32re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 8:29pm

I heard that Disney is toying with renting out the theater after poppins is done . Since there recent run with musicals hasnt been so hot ! SHOE mocker

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#33re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 8:48pm

I don't think Disney is doing too bad - Mary Poppins and the Lion King are still two really big cash cows on broadway right now. As for Tarzan, I have no idea how bad those numbers were but even though people here hate TLM, it's numbers have been pretty good through out it's run - always at least keeping 3/4 of the seats full.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#34re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/23/08 at 10:40pm

I've said it before about Mermaid and I will say it again. People are buying tickets to the show because it is the little mermaid. They are just looking at the title of the show and not at any of the reviews. That is why this show is selling as well as it is.

I do see Poppins playing a good long run on Broadway. I never even toyed with the idea of Disney renting out their theatre when Poppins is done. I guess they thought that it would be used to house Disney shows for a good long time. Which depending on how long Poppins can run will be the case. And they thought that they would be comming out with good new musicals. Which isn't the case.

I know that if it wasn't for Poppins comming to Broadway and Cameron wanting the New Amsterdam for Poppins. That the Lion King wouldn't have moved to the Minskoff. I guess what I am trying to say is that if Poppins never came or went into a different theatre (like being the show that replaced fiddler at the minskoff rather then the lion king) then Disney would have an even more successful show at the New Amsterdam.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#35re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 3:03am

I'm not saying that TLM is as highly appreciated on broadway as TLK or Mary Poppins, but that for right now it's numbers are sufficient to stay around. I agree that the reason people are buying tickets because it IS The Little Mermaid, but they still ARE buying. my bigger point was to say that The Lion King and Mary Poppins kind of disprove "I heard that Disney is toying with renting out the theater after poppins is done . Since there recent run with musicals hasnt been so hot ! SHOE mocker", again since Poppins and Lion King are two of the highest selling shows on broadway.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#36re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 3:06am

B3TA - unimpressive, predictable, and Bono...ish

that describes it best!

no idea if any of the songs are still in the show. it was an extremely rough demo (3 tracks) from the developmental stages

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#37re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 3:07am

TooDarn, is that the demo with Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood?

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#38re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:38am

Can someone who has it PLEASE PM it to me?!?!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#39re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:43am

Same, if possible

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 9:10am

I heard that Disney is toying with renting out the theater after poppins is done . Since there recent run with musicals hasnt been so hot !

Mary Poppins - $800+k/week
Little Mermaid - $900+k/week
Lion King - $1+M/week

I certainly wouldn't trust that rumor source again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Charlie No-One
#41re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:01pm

Since I am a huge comic book fan, this has always been a pet peeve of mine: It is Spider-Man. Not Spiderman.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#42re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:50pm

Mister Matt,

I do agree with you that it is going to be a long while before Poppins closes and the same with the Lion King.

I think that the person who said the rumor of The New Amsterdam being rented out when Poppins time on Broadway is done meant somewhere down the line. Not in the next couple of years.

And you have to realize that Disney isn't making as good a musical as they can or as they used to. For every Beauty and the Beast or Lion King there is a Tarzan and a Little Mermaid. Yes, the little mermaid might be doing well in the box office but there were many people (me included) who felt that a company like disney could have done a better job with the show and that it wasn't worth closing Beauty and the Beast for.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#43re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:32pm

how do you people get your hands on all these demos?

I want em. geez.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#44re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:56pm

Disney does not own the New Amsterdam. The State and City of New York does. Disney has a 99 year lease on the theatre which began in '93 I believe.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#45re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 3:16pm

Your part right. Technically the New Amsterdam is owned by The Nederlanders and Disney leased it from them. The mass renovations done before The Lion king loaded in at tat theatre were paid by The New 42nd street project and Disney. It was mostly Disney.

But, if they leased it for 99 years and they want to rent it out to other producers I don't see what is stopping Disney. it's not like they are only allowed to produce Disney shows at that theatre. As far as I know there is nothing saying that a show that isn't produced by disney can use that theatre. I do know that the lease pretty much gave control of the theatre to the hands of Disney. If they want to produce or put other shows in there then they can.

robstyle001
#46re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 4:21pm

I know one of the kids that is playing one of the nerds in the beginning of "spiderman"

he said (as of about 6 months ago)

that when legally blond closes, Wicked will move to the Palace and Spriderman will move to the gershwin

but with this whole MTV thing maybe LB wont be closing as soon as we thought...

this isnt a rumor, this is what he told me was seriously being considered.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#47re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 4:29pm

I wouldn't see this if it were the last show on Broadway at the time being. It may come together and turn out okay, but the chances of that are slim to none.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#48re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 4:36pm

I highly doubt that Wicked is going anywhere. I think that what is more likely is that Young Frankenstein will close leaving a big broadway theatre open for Spider-Man to take.

Remember there were reports of Taymore checking out the Hilton during a rehearsal of YF. I think that there is a better chance of Legally Blonde doing well off the reality show ( I doubt this will happen) then there is a chance of Wicked moving. Besides, the Palace is much smaller then the Gershwin I doubt the Wicked producers would want to move to a smaller house.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#49re: Spiderman Musical Update
Posted: 5/24/08 at 5:51pm

NINE TO FIVE is sniffing out the Palace for next Spring, sniff, sniff.

Videos