pixeltracker

What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?- Page 2

What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 12:53am

I don't know if this was said. but the MERRILY revival by Roundabout will have NOTHING to do with Doyle. It's being directed by James Lapine.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#26re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 1:07am

I want more info too emcee!

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#27re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:44am

I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious choice... "Cats." hehe

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#28re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:59am

Doyle-ified? Oh lord. He may have helped originate and popularise it, but it's very much a Watermill thing and not just a Doyle-exclusive. 'Sweeney Todd' started at the Watermill, right? Since then, independently of Doyle, they've also done 'Martin Guerre', and 'Sunset Boulevard' is coming this summer. There could well be others, but I'm not massively well-versed. Sorry. ^_^ (Whereas Doyle also did 'Mack & Mabel', 'Company', and 'Merrily We Roll Long' (this one back at the Watermill) in the actor-musician-way.)

I like to laugh at the person who wants to see Doyle do some more traditional directing. Perhaps you could buy a ticket to 'A Catered Affair', then you'd most certainly get your wish.

Emcee, could I get the more info as well?

Updated On: 6/13/08 at 04:59 AM

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#29re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 5:00am

ps

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#30re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 6:24am

All I said was that the whole actors marching around with instruments takes ME out of the story. I won't pay money to see that kind of thing again. I go to theatre to experience the story and in a sense get lost in it, not to see actors playing instruments. But apparently I"m the only one who doesn't like it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#31re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 9:25am

Weez, I didn't know the Watermill was doing it without him. I wonder how it would fare without his direction, though, because his direction isn't reliant on it, you know? He doesn't simply slap this concept on and have a show, there's so much else going on, too. Will you be seeing the production this summer?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/13/08 at 09:25 AM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#32re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:00am

Yeah, that's why I get upset about people dismissing Doyle because of the actor-musician thing; yes, you may be bored of it, but look at the amazing performances he's getting out of the actors! Don't overlook his brilliance as a director just because you don't like the way it's staged!

And yes, I'll be seeing 'Sunset Boulevard' 23rd August. I'm trying to remember if anyone from the West End board saw 'Martin Guerre' and can offer their thoughts. But really, having been to the Watermill and seen the size of the stage, it's the only way they can do a musical with more than a keyboard, a guitar, and maybe a touch of percussion. XD

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#34re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 11:27am

NONE!!! I am so over that concept.

bwayguy22089
#35re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 11:42am

I always thought a revival or concert version of 1776 featuring both males and females would be very interesting. The leads (Adams, Jefferson and Franklin) should be played by males, but I think some of the other congress members could be played by females. I think Julia Murney would make a kick ass Dickonson. I don't know lol. I think it could work. If you can forget that there are people on stage and believe that there are animals in The Lion King, I think this could work too...and Doyle would be pretty good at directing something like that.

twitchy+bitchy+manic
#36re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 11:44am

I'm rooting for A Chorus Line. The "and suddenly I'm 17, and suddenly I'm 17...there's a lot, I am not, certain of" bit in H12H13Hlove would be great. :P

fafolguy Profile Photo
fafolguy
#37re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 12:58pm

If the concept serves the material, I'm all for it. I think it would work really well for Pippin, where the show is performed by a "troupe" for the audience. And with a large enough ensemble, you could have a full lush orchestra sound. :)

White, a blank page or canvas. His favorite - so many possibilities. F--- you, Ms. Johnson. Word.

SgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
#38re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 1:07pm

Oh I loved that about Sweeney Todd. It was very unusual and interesting concept. But I don't know. I wouldn't imagine it working in another show.

The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!

SweeneyPhanatic
#39re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 1:37pm

"I like to laugh at the person who wants to see Doyle do some more traditional directing. Perhaps you could buy a ticket to 'A Catered Affair', then you'd most certainly get your wish."

Laugh all you want, but there's a reason I said ANOTHER traditionally-directed show. I'm fully aware that "A Catered Affair" is done traditionally (whatever that really means), thank you very much. I meant if he's going to do Broadway again any time soon, it shouldn't be another actor-musician show, but ANOTHER (there's that pesky little word again...) traditionally-directed piece.

Now stop laughing.

-- SDG

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#40re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 3:06pm

I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious choice... "Cats." hehe

Nora could be the star! =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ860P4iTaM

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#41re: What Musical Should Be Doyle-ified?
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:41pm

Weez, definitely let me know how it is.

I'd actually like to see him do the actor-musician thing for a new show.

And as for "traditional" direction, Bounce won't use instruments.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Videos