ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#26re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:25pm

triple post. Sorry bout that. Updated On: 7/18/08 at 01:25 PM

sparkleplenty
#27re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:36pm

Interesting thread, i just wish people would go into a few details. How were the fans ruining things for them?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#28re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:51pm

I'll detail -- constant screaming at that deafening pitch only teenage girls seem to be able to reach, shouts of "I love you (insert actor's name here)" at inappropriate moments, singing along loudly with songs, incessant cell phone photo-taking, calling up friends mid-show so they could hear certain numbers over the phone...and so forth.

#29re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:57pm

adding on:

-laughing BEFORE the joke happens.
-laughing longer, harder, louder than anyone else to prove to all you know the reference and the joke better. (my personal favorite)
-singing along (didn't pay money to hear the person in row G)
-repeating the line after it's said.
[tos] example: hunter: "like shrek, the little mermaid or mary poppins"
less than awesome audience member : "ha! like shrek, the little
mermaid or mary poppins"

insert any funny line here, and the repeat is never funny and always annoying.

Updated On: 7/18/08 at 01:57 PM

sparkleplenty
#30re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:58pm

Thanks, Calvin. i think that might have ruined a show for me. Especially if the material didn't seem to match the fans' rapture.(Wicked, for example, IMHO).

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#31re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 2:01pm

RENT has been ruined for me several times by obnoxious fans in the front row singing along and dancing during La Vi Bohem.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#32re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 2:03pm

Depends on the fans. I loved the Histories fans in May, we were all so happy to be there and so well behaved. But I've encountered 'Lord Of The Rings' fans who make me annoyed enough to ask them to stop talking. Which is PRETTY DAMN ANNOYED if you're me.

broadwaybaby086
#33re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 2:45pm

The biggest one for me is Lupone Gypsy.
It's starting to happen with [tos].
Xanadu- it wasn't ruined by any means, but it was very annoying.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 2:52pm

Final Broadway performance of FOSSE (I almost smashed my fist into the girl 'whooping' and 'screaming' in front of me thru most of the show).

Final Broadway performance of TABOO (you literally couldn't even hear the show with all those 'rock concert' screams throughout the performance).

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#35re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 4:12pm

Mind fans, not shows!

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#36re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 4:58pm

RENT

WICKED

SPRING AWAKENING

... the usual

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#37re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:28pm

Wicked and Rent. I'm almost embarrassed to say I like those shows because I don't want to be thought of as one of those typical teenagers who knows nothing of Broadway BUT Wicked and Rent. And they are very overdone. Just the other day before a perfprmance for Beauty and the Beast, the ensemble was playing Rent in the dressing room and thought it'd be a good idea to sing "Seasons of Love"as a vocal warm up. I mean...I love them all...but...yeah...anyways...sorry this was so long...

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#38re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:29pm

Rent
Wicked
Spring Awakening

damn fangirls.

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#39re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:31pm

I would have to say In the Heights and Spring Awakening.

wafflehouse2005 Profile Photo
wafflehouse2005
#40re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:31pm

A theatre is NOT a stadium.

No matter what the atmosphere [Rent, SA, etc.] the audience should be respectful and show appreciation, ethusiasim with applause...at the appropriate time.

I think it's very distracting for both other audience members and the CAST when someone screams out their name, or claps incessantly when it's not needed. We know you love the show, the cast, and the music. Just don't ruin everyone elses time by expressing it there, in that way.

And the whole 'lets call Marge and let her hear a song!' ****, thats stupid. My phone is OFF. Not on vibrate, not on silent, OFF.

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#41re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:50pm

I wouldn't say enjoyment ruined by fans but a bit distracting. I saw the current National UK Tour of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff last night, me and parents had a great view of the stage as we were in the circle area. Where we were sitting, this group of kids (4 or 5) with their mothers were in front of us and for love or money they would NOT stop fidgeting throughout the entire show. I was close to telling them otherwise. But besides of that, great performance!

BillyE
#42re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:54pm

There are times when I get a kick out of fans, like when they dress as the characters, the flapper girls at Thoroughly Modern Millie, Avenue Q has it's visible fans, but I draw the line when they get too noisy, singing along, calling out, etc.
I hope they read this thread and get the idea.
Save the big O for the curtain call.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#43re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 5:57pm

A local production of Bare - until I saw it again....then I became a fan re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans

And Mamma Mia because I just don't get and I don't like being made to stand and sing....

Generally, I enjoy fans - I think it makes the experience so much more exciting. As long as it doesn't interrupt me hearing or seeing the show.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

sroderick2
#44re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 6:27pm

I'm with jaystarr on this...fans can be annoying but that could never make me hate a show or stay away from one.

The only time that I remember the fans being REALLY crazy was at Eden Espinosa's last show in Wicked LA (my fourth and last time seeing the show, so far). I thought that, like me and my friend, everyone would want to just watch, listen and soak up her awesomeness in the role. Nope. They started screaming when she let loose on the word "Fiyeroooooo" in No Good Deed (the one towards the middle), and everyone started SCREAMING, so much that no one could hear her finish and go on to the next line. I seriously wanted to yell "SHUT UP!!" but of course I knew better.

SweetQintheLights
#45re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 6:33pm

I hate the people that say a line right before the actor says it.

So you know the dialogue, but many people don't, and we want to hear it from the actor.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#46re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 6:58pm

The least catty example I can think of was, believe it or not, The Pirates of Penzance at NYCO. I don't know what the hell was going on in that performance, but there were people dressed as PIRATES in the audience. Like, large groups of weirdo pirates in full on costumes, or shirts with bandanas, paper hats, you name it. My favorite was a guy who VELCROED a stuffed parrot to his shoulder. It was so weird and annoying. It's Gilbert & Sullivan at the NYCO, not a pirate convention!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#47re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 7:09pm

Seeing Spamalot last year was by far the worst audience related issues I've ever had with a show. Soooo many people re-iterating the jokes from the movie, hooting, quoting other parts, over obniouxly laughing...

2nd was this past Wednesday @ Patti LuPone Gypsy. Either a small group or possibly one woman who appeared to be sitting in an aisle seat was cheering on Herbie's "uprising" towards the end (for spoiler reasons!)...when it should have been quiet/dramatic.

Scarlet Pimpernel-SP3 at the Neil Simon from what I remember was pretty disastrous. I don't remember if I went at the end or the begining of that run, but the SP fans got to me a little too much. SP2's closing week wasn't even that bad.

Lastly, I dislike Les Mis fans who sit there and sob from Fantine's death through the One Day More song, and then pick up again with Eponine's death through the end. Les Mis isn't THAT depressing.

sparkleplenty
#48re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 7:18pm

Is the sobbing really that loud? (les miz fan reference)

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#49re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/18/08 at 7:20pm

Curtains

Videos