pixeltracker

The 20 Million Dollar Flop- Page 2

The 20 Million Dollar Flop

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#25re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 7:41pm

but you just come over as nasty piece of work!

evic
#26re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 7:15am

Lighten up Mama- half the fun of this board is reading the nasty comments. It's a nasty business....Welcome to the theater!....if you are an investor in the show- sorry you are gonna lose your $$$$, if you have friends in it, I'm sorry they will be looking for a new job soon....but there is a revival of Side Show rumored to be in the works- maybe the freaks from this crap can get a job in that show.

MamasDoin'Fine
#27re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 7:49am

Idiot!

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#28re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 8:08am

I haven't seen it and don't plan to so I can't speak to its quality. But, that said, I seriously doubt it will ever be enough of a hit to recoup. It carries a huge weekly nut which is going to be hard to cover, especially in these economically-challenged times. The New York Times just ran a piece about family shows suffering the most from the downturn - who can afford all those tickets? I'm not sure if reviews will affect a show like this but you know they won't be great. And I don't sense any real excitement for it either.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

evic
#29re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 8:41am

Mama's gettin tense, Mama's on the rag, Mama's in a funk....MMMMMAAAMMMAAAA

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#30re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 8:48am

"Huge brand + big promotions + big name actors = profit."

Actually, outside the theater world, the actors aren't really big names. Maybe to us, but not to the general public.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

MamasDoin'Fine
#31re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 9:10am

Mamas doin' fine thanks!
x

PiraguaGuy2
#32re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 10:09am

evic, I think you should clean the sand out of your vag and move on. Who gives a crap what people in the audience were wearing? You sound so condescending and uppity when you talk like that.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

RentBoy86
#33re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:00am

Just please God, no Madagascar the musical!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#34re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:22am

I'm not planning on seeing this, only because I didn't even care for the movie. But, isn't it still in previews? I know they probably won't fix everything that is supposedly wrong with it, but wouldn't they at least fix things that the audience does not respond well to?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#35re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:10pm

It's Shrek...isn't it obvious there would be a song about farting. I thought the number was clever and charming.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#36re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:39pm

Marianne2 ~ Yes, it's still in previews. It opens December 14. From both times I've been there, the audience HAS responded well to that particular song, so I don't see if going anywhere.

I went in totally blind having randomly entered the lottery for the first preview ~ I had never seen the movies at all because they just didn't appeal to me. But I love people in the cast and wanted to give it a chance. I figured I'd just try lottery when I could until I won it so I wasn't out that much money. Never expected to actually get drawn that first preview ~ but I was. I found myself absolutely charmed by the show. Went back Tuesday ~ won the lottery again! (this from the girl who took 14 times to win Hairspray of all things) ~ and was even more charmed. They've tightened it a lot even in the first 11 days it's been previewing.

As for the bridge... Give me a break. It's not supposed to horrify the audience ~ this is not a horror show. It's called using your imagination. Or maybe that's impossible for people with sticks up their butts. That bridge is a darn sight better than those stupid plexiglass "waves" just down Broadway in the Lunt-Fontanne.

Is Shrek perfect? No. But it's charming and entertaining, and sometimes that's exactly what I want in a musical.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

MamasDoin'Fine
#37re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:49pm

Well said Jordongirl, especially the piece about people with sticks up their butts!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 3:06pm

If Shrek is still running when I get back to NYC, I will probably see it just out of curiosity. And I happened to enjoy those "plastic waves" when I saw the show in Denver. TLM is not the greatest show, but an enjoyable evening at the theater. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Just give the world Love.

musicalman2
#39re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 3:41pm

I saw the show at the very end of its run in Seattle and now here. I think that there are a number of things to admire. Overall, I would say that the show is still very tedious in spots. However, many of the funny touches are hilarious. Loved Sieber. LOVED HIM! his numbers are great. I also like Sutton Foster in her musical numbers, especially the farting one. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much since I tend to dislike stuff like that but thought it was executed very well, as was her tap dance. Sorry that they will don't seem to have conquered the dragon problem.

Supporting cast are good too, especially Haven Burton and John Tartaglia.

I do think, though, that it will be a big seller, even if it gets mixed critical reviews and audience members are occasionally a bit bored.

MamasDoin'Fine
#40re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 4:16pm

The dragon looks stunning I just wish it one voice instead of all the chorus girls- it just doesnt look right. Beautiful eyes!

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#41re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 4:19pm

Jordangirl, you took the words right out of my mouth. Not many people use their imagination these days, it has to be spelled out or directly shown to them in order to please.

I thought it was great fun and the cast is quite good. The audience was laughing and hooting a lot when I saw the show. Definitely wasn't a waste of time or money at all.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Hank
#42re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 4:45pm

As a long time Millie/Sutton fan, I'm sorry that I can't find anything positive to say in Shrek's defence.
Very disappointed.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 4:47pm

Huge brand + big promotions + big name actors = profit."

Actually, outside the theater world, the actors aren't really big names. Maybe to us, but not to the general public.

Maybe he meant long names?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

evic
#44re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 5:04pm

Hi Piraguaboy-Leave my VaJayjay alone! To me going to the theater is an event- an exciting one. Call me old fashioned, but I like to get dressed cause it makes me feel good and out of respect for the performers who are busting THEIR vajayjays up there. Imagine looking down from the stage to the first 5 rows of schleps schlumping in their seats-real uplifting for the cast!

Are you one of those morons who check their blackberries during performances to see what important messages you received?

Glad you're doin well Mama-but you still need to lighten up.-Yes I agree -the Dragon did have pretty eyes-and LONG lashes!

Jordan (lottery) girl-It WAS a horror show.

Keep em coming folks- I love a good fight!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#45re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 5:42pm

evic ~ At least I paid something for my ticket. Twice. And I plan on flat out buying tickets for my sister and me when she's up here to visit. Some people like strawberry, some people like vanilla, and some people just flat out don't like ice cream. DEAL.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#46re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 6:16pm

evic, there is a difference between a good fight and you just acting like a total ass. I will give you a hint your not having a good fight.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#47re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 6:18pm

"And this ass of mine is so asinine."

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

MamasDoin'Fine
#48re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/20/08 at 7:01pm

I don't fight with loser's, loser!

evic
#49re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/21/08 at 6:49am

Hey Jordan girl...I hope your sister is coming before Valentine's Day cause this bomb wont be around after that...or maybe you can singlehandedly save it before it becomes chapter 42 in Not Since Carrie 2.....I love ice cream- but you better have low fat and sugar free cause those seats at the Broadway are mighty narrow-I'm sure your hips had a hard time squeezing in

Mama- sure it is a fight- you called me an idiot- not nice- I don't name call to people I don't know...shame on you

Videos