The 20 Million Dollar Flop

evic
#1The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 7:08am

Shrek will join the list of classic bombs to hit the boards. The perfect metaphor for this turkey is the farting song- it stinks to high heaven. The whole thing is cheap looking, doesn't have one show stopper, awful music, unoriginal choreography, book that goes for really cheap laughs with all the modern references, and few laughs. It just lays there like a lump- not one original or creative moment-we've seen all those song paradies before.

I wanted to strangle the Donkey-his awful cliched portrayal of the sassy sidekick with hands on hip was amateurish- how bad could the guy he replaced have been? The Dragon song is a classic-one of the worst numbers ever seen.

Darcy James has a really nice voice, Sutton does her usual schtick- her Las Vegas number is pretty bad too. Seiber is funny-his character voice reminded me of Mike Myers' Dr. Evil in Austin Powers.

I kept thinking of King of Hearts for some reason-maybe cause of the mental patients being like the freak fairy tale characters in this -except King had better music and sets.

And there were crying babies in the house and most of the audience were dressed for a WWE wrestling event. One man had on shorts and looked like he was about to take the garbage out- which is where this drek belongs-DOA. Pure unaldulterated CRAP

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 7:16am

So you didn't like it?

I see another TDF show.

Poster Emeritus

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#2re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 9:10am

Just the teensiest naive?

Look how that other certain bomb, The Little Mermaid, has done.

RacerX Profile Photo
RacerX
#3re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 10:51am

Wow. Someone's still a little angry for not being cast in their high school play.

Updated On: 11/19/08 at 10:51 AM

Parks
#4re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 10:54am

Well, the audience I saw it with seemed to really enjoy it...

and the farting song was the BEST part of the show. You know it was.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#5re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 10:58am

While I didn't despise SHREK as much as you did, I agree that the farting song brought the show to a new low (and brought musical theater to a new low to be honest). It was crass, cringeworthy, and not funny at all. I felt badly for Sutton and what her career has been reduced to.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#6re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 11:09am

- "Look how that other certain bomb, The Little Mermaid, has done."

Seriously. If quality alone were the measure, The Little Mermaid would have shuttered toute de suite.

Not having seen Shrek the Musical, I can't comment on its quality. But regardless, I imagine it will have a very nice run on name recognition and family-friendly appeal, just like that heaping pile, The Little Mermaid.

RentBoy86
#7re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 11:26am

Oh please, I don't feel sorry for Sutton Foster at all. She chose a paycheck over artistry. She could go do an off-Broadway play, or the Fringe Festival, but she chooses to do her same ol' schtick every year on Broadway in a new show. So, good for her. I don't care too much for her, but hey, obviously some people do.

And, I didn't find the farting funny at all. Usually I would laugh - I mean I love Family Guy style humor, but it just wasn't that funny to me. It was just weird farting sounds? I don't know. I just kept thinking "I wish this song were faster."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 11:28am

Shrek will join the list of classic bombs to hit the boards.

Except that it probably won't. There are many reasons why shows fail, but usually it's not because you don't like them. While you may believe the audience to be beneath you, they are probably the target audience for this show and their opinion of it is probably more indicative of its success than yours.

I don't care for the show, but I'm not foolish enough to think it will flop purely because it is not as good as I had hoped or because it is not my cup of tea. For anyone who believes Broadway shouldn't be for all audiences...careful what you wish for.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#9re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 12:52pm

The source material wasn't too great, so I wasn't expecting anything else for the Broadway version.

I stopped hoping that there would be shows out there that actually would TRY to improve upon its source material.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#10re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 12:59pm

I don't know how bad Shrek the musical is, but I do enjoy your review thoroughly. I think it is funny, creative and eye-catching. Thanks for giving me a good laugh at noon.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:01pm

I have absolutely no desire to see this show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Mattbrain
#12re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:10pm

I totally have a desire to see this show. I think it looks good. That's my opinion. Will I call it "THE BEST MUSICAL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!" ? We'll just wait and see, won't we? But I'm a big fan of Shrek and of Jeanine Tesori's music and I think the clips I've seen on that site sound really clever and funny. So I'm trying to be positive about this show, y'know?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#13re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:17pm

But, please, tell us how you really feel!

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#14re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:18pm

Hey, I like Tesori's scores, especially Caroline, or Change which I think is a modern masterpiece, but then I found that the Broadway score of Thoroughly Modern Millie was far inferior to that of the film.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#15re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:21pm

Well, I'm scheduled to see this on Friday, and can't say my lack of enthusiasm had been bouyed by what I've been hearing and reading.

Then again, if my expectations are lowered enough ....

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#16re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:01pm

The source material wasn't too great, so I wasn't expecting anything else for the Broadway version.

Actually, I thought the source was imaginitive, funny and clever. Unfortunately, I just don't think it was the right material for musicalization. I can understand Disney's efforts in staging their more popular works because the screenplays were quite theatrical and dramatic. Shrek was written as an out-and-out comedy with elements of farce, which is easily bogged down by adding a musical score as well as the effort required in staging its spectacle. Unlike The Little Mermaid, which was a good idea that went horribly wrong, I think Shrek was a bad idea that rose up to mediocrity, similar to that of Young Frankenstein.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#17re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:34pm

Someone had a bad seat or a bad day or whatever as they must have been the only person in the theatre that didn't enjoy it. I saw it Sunday and although it isn't the most taxing of shows it delivers in staging, effect's, comedy and some great big production numbers!
Its a stage version of a cartoon for gods sake!
Its a damn sight better than 'Mermaid' but not as thrilling as 'Lion' just enjoy it.
Im even thinking that you haven't actually seen it and are just one of the many who like to show bash! How sad!

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#18re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:47pm

No chance in hell that this flops. Huge brand + big promotions + big name actors = profit. Primarily the first element. Exactly the same with TLM--take a profitable brand, hire some accomplished performers, make everything else mediocre, and you have a cash cow. And Shrek is 5x as popular as TLM right now.

evic
#19re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:22pm

Au contraire Mama- I was there as was Mike Nichols and Richard Kind. I only like to bash shows when they are as bad as this. And I had a fine day. No one is beneath me at all-but how difficult is it for men to put on a pair of slacks or soccer moms to put on a nice blouse as opposed to a ripped Old Navy sweatshirt?- I was talking to someone who said that the more expensive tickets have become, the less class audiences have- great point.

I am all for family shows on Broadway-Iloved the artistry of Lion King, enjoyed Mary,walked out on Tarzan and haven't seen Mermaid which I hear is horrendous and hated Beauty I hope people aren't paying $120 and that they are getting deep discounts. I am fortunate that I don't pay for shows and am comped.

I forgot to mention that the last 10 minutes is one of the most deadly I have ever seen-lame.

Will it run?- No Way.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#20re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:38pm

evic, of course it will run it's Shrek for goodness sake.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:39pm

I agree with what most people are saying. Just because a show sucks, doesn't mean it'll bomb(i.e. The Little Mermaid, The Color Purple, Dirty Dancing[soon]). Shrek will have a nice run just like TLM will.

And we can likely add the 40+ million dollar debacle that Spiderman: The Musical will end up being. People will see it, but it'll take several(4-5) years before it could possibly recoup.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 04:39 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:43pm

If anything Shrek will encourage Disney to produce another show. I say this because there are two movie companies right now on Broadway producing shows that kids and families will enjoy.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

being.jeremiah
#23re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:45pm

evic, by how you assess the audience development of this show (and how these Plain Joes and Janes can actually afford a ticket for their families in this financial environment while you bask in the glory of comp tickets), you are being as tasteless and low-class as you claim them to be.

When criticizing a show, I think it's but wise to examine what the show is about, what it aims to do, and who it really is for. ANY show. Even your favorite The Lion King.

Updated On: 11/19/08 at 04:45 PM

evic
#24re: The 20 Million Dollar Flop
Posted: 11/19/08 at 5:39pm

Hey Jere- I totally know what the message of the show is and while it is a noble one, that doesn't mean the production can't be well done. They workshopped it, had an out of town try out, and this was the best they could produce? The scene crossing the bridge!- so scary!!!!- if they had the bridge 40 ft above the lava and swung a bit- I'd be impressed. This set piece was pitiful.

I don't care what people do with their money-I laugh when I think of those losers who got hoodwinked and shelled out $450 for Young Frankenstein- another bomb. But their choice. If you think I am low class- fine....Don't be mad because I don't have to pay for a lot of junk! G-d Bless all who enjoy the show. Now 39 Steps is highly recommended-done on a shoestring, clever, well acted and FUNNY!

Opinions are what make the world go around. Hey- people like Sarah Palin too.

Videos