pixeltracker

Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kelli O'Hara Mar. 10- Page 2

Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kelli O'Hara Mar. 10

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:28pm

I doubt that her name is going to sell many tickets to this (do you really think the teen girls are going to go running to South Pacific???). So, she must have given a HELL of an audition that really blew them away. I'm kind of excited to see this, because it's interesting casting. I expected something much more traditional from Lincoln Center. Kudos to them for thinking outside the box.

As for Laura, I thought she was about the only redeeming quality from that horrendous production of Grease.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#26re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:29pm

Kelli will probably do what Victoria Clark did in PIAZZA and have an alternate.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#27re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:33pm

. . . what? This is . . . weird. I'll reserve judgement.

Kind of reminds me of when Katie Clarke replaced Kelli in LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, except without the reality show business.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#28re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:34pm

O'Hara will not have a matinee alternate.

The only reason Victoria Clark performed six shows a week toward the end of the run of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA was because Lincoln Center asked her to extend her contract to cover the closing of the show and that was her sole condition in agreeing to do so.

O'Hara, on the other hand, voluntarily expressed interest in returning to the production before a search for her replacement even began. She'll have no such conditions upon coming back in October.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#29re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:34pm

I was able to see this cast of South Pacific and Laura has some big shoes to fill. I may have to go back and see her in this. I am a big Kelli O Hara fan and thought she was wonderful in this production but this could be a very nice role for Laura. As people have said time will tell.

Hopefully people will start to judge Laura on sheer talent and whether she is right for parts and not because she was on a reality show. I don't think this is "stunt casting." It is possible Laura had the best audition and won the role...just like any other actor in NY who is auditioning for parts.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#30re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:38pm

"Kello"?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Yankeefan007
#31re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:40pm

I was judging her on talent and whether she is right for parts.

She's a dime-a-dozen soprano.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#32re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:42pm

Why is she a dime a dozen soprano? Not being a smart ass, I am just curious why you think that.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#33re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:45pm

Charleston, you got me, this time. I still find it pathetic that you examine all my posts.

Are we really considering this stunt casting? I mean yes, she won a reality show but she is also a good performer from what I hear. Also, it's not as if she was part of a T.V series, it was just a reality show. When someone from American Idol joins a show they don't make that big of a deal, except for Fantasia and Ace, Tamyra didn't get that much attention.

I think she is just a good performer who deserved the role, I doubt they are plastering posters outside the theatre say "Now starring 'Grease: You're The One That I Want!' winner Laura Osnes, now I am prepared to eat my words. But honestly, not everyone knows that show.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Yankeefan007
#34re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:45pm

Because she sounds like every other Broadway chorus girl. There's no distinguishing factor there beyond her getting a better go of it because she won the TV show.

Now, I don't care that she won the TV show; good for her. But she's exactly like all the other ones out there - there's nothing special about her and, from what I recall about GREASE (which is very little), she's not a very good actress.

Prove me wrong, Laura. Prove me wrong.

bwayguy22089
#35re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:46pm

I am very excited for her. I think she'll be great. She has such a beautiful voice. Just because the Grease revival wasn't the greatest doesn't mean Laura should be regarded as a bad performer or should be given a low level of respect. Good for her for taking on this role re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting

Yankeefan007
#36re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:47pm

Wounds, LCT has far too much class to do that.

RyToast1
#37re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:48pm

My first reaction was: WHAT?!

But, upon further thought, and reading the board, I think LCT/Sher know what they're doing. I didn't see Grease, so I can't judge her fairly. Heck, I didn't even watch the reality show, I just feel it's weird to cast someone from a reality show.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#39re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:53pm

Yankee, I hear what you are saying.

I saw her in Grease and there were soooooo many things wrong with that show, we could be here all day. I think she was very green but for a Broadway debut not bad, IMO. And it's not like Sandy is a really deep role to play.

It will be interesting to see what she does with the layers in this role. I hope she does well but we shall see!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#40re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 5:53pm

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I was too busy vomiting.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#42re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:03pm

I hope they feed her a sandwich or two prior to her March debut. I saw her in Grease and she was so skinny! I wanted to take her off stage and feed her.

That being said, she is an interesting choice. Very young looking for her age, but there is supposed to be a rather drastic age difference if I am remembering correctly (I did the show in my HS days). I find her voice pleasant and she has that girl-next-door quality that works wells for South Pacific. And there were so many things far worse about the Grease revival then her performance. So many...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#43re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:05pm

Who honestly thinks this show even needs stunt casting? And besides, if they did, they would have sought out a real name. Laura isn't big enough to be considered stunt casting; a handful of people will go see the show for her, but I can't imagine it being a substantial amount. They surely won't be in droves.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#44re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:14pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/126261.html

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/12/09 at 06:14 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:18pm

I wonder if she'll also permanently replace Kelli next year. O'Hara said in some interview she is coming back in October "until the end of the year" because she wanted to leave at the same time as Paolo Szot.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#46re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:20pm

Well, SOUTH PACIFIC just started up with discount codes after having sold only at full price after their raves post-Opening, so who knows how the show will do from now through December. It might close by then.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#47re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:39pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Osnes ends up playing the role in the national tour.

I don't think stunt-casting is the appropriate word for this. She's not a big enough name. My guess is she gave an amazing audition...I'm excited to hear reviews! Good for her!

WishingOnlyWounds2
#48re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:40pm

I just saw a South Pacific commercial, first time I've ever seen one... and Laura does look a lot younger than Kelli.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#49re: Laura Osnes to Sail into SOUTH PACIFIC Replacing Kello O'Hara Starting
Posted: 2/12/09 at 7:24pm

This is an interesting casting choice, as everyone has stated. But Bartlet Sher does cast the best in his shows and obviously he saw something in Laura. Although she does have big shoes to fill, it will be nice to see what see brings to the part.

Videos