News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

brdway411
#500HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:25am

Wick3 said: "brdway411 said: "That was incredible. It's my first time ever seeing it, yes I never saw the movie. Better is wonderful. I feel Gavin is wasted. DHP is great. We had one understudy, who was outstanding. Worth waiting for SRO TICKETS. "

I'm planning to do SRO for this show once an actually policy has been confirmed. I just don't want to wait only to find out there's no SRO for that day (last Friday there was no SRO).

What did you mean Gavin is wasted? I loved Michael Crawford in the movie and Michael DeVries (sp?) as Cornelius HAckl in the 1994 revival. I personally thought Christian Dante White was amazing  and right up on part with Creel. Which understudy performed Thursday evening? 

"

Gavin just does do much. The character has no solo. They could have gotten a lesser known name for the role. I would have liked to see him do more. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#501HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:55am

Brian07663NJ said: "No...front row is not entirely partial view. I specifically was the second seat from the right and the seat next to me (third from right) was $650. The wall was directly in front of me but it was fine looking to my left so it requires sitting slightly turned. I missed 2 minor 'moments' but for purchasing the ticket this past Saturday, at regular price and sitting in the first row...it was worth it for me."

Cool, I am the fifth person in on the second row for Bette's last(?) show, I figure if the seats next to me are $550 and the ones in front of me are $750, it can't be too awful. HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#502HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 7:40am

Ah I see your point now. Had they originally casted Christian Dante White as Hackl I would have been just as amazed by the production. Don't get me wrong since Creel is very talented as well  but I agree with you that they could have gotten a lesser known actor and still have an overall strong and amazing cast.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#503HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 7:56am

I think it's pretty cool seeing a man of color as Cornelius and was thrilled to see the senior matinee crowd loving him. Could this be A Star is Born moment?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#504HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 8:28am

brdway411 said: "Wick3 said: "brdway411 said: "That was incredible. It's my first time ever seeing it, yes I never saw the movie. Better is wonderful. I feel Gavin is wasted. DHP is great. We had one understudy, who was outstanding. Worth waiting for SRO TICKETS. "

I'm planning to do SRO for this show once an actually policy has been confirmed. I just don't want to wait only to find out there's no SRO for that day (last Friday there was no SRO).

What did you mean Gavin is wasted? I loved Michael Crawford in the movie and Michael DeVries (sp?) as Cornelius HAckl in the 1994 revival. I personally thought Christian Dante White was amazing  and right up on part with Creel. Which understudy performed Thursday evening? 

"

Gavin just does do much. The character has no solo. They could have gotten a lesser known name for the role. I would have liked to see him do more. 

"

And yet he has many portions of FOUR songs....more than any male character sings.   Even Vandergelder has only two....and that's with the re-added song in act two.

I also don't understand the logic behind using someone else just because this is an enormous role.  Pretty sure Creel is allowed to still perform whatever roles they are willing to hire his in.   Why relegate the role to "a lesser known actor" if they have someone else whose track record is proven?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#505HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 8:48am

Stage Door Sally said: "I think it's pretty cool seeing a man of color as Cornelius and was thrilled to see the senior matinee crowd loving him. Could this be A Star is Born moment?

"

African-Americans have performed as Cornelius in the past like the cast back in 1968 (but I believe it was an all-black cast starring Pearl Bailey as Dolly?) not sure but this may be the first time it was a mixed cast?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#506HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 9:01am

GavestonPS said: "But "distracting" from what?

Watching the number unfold? An LED screen lighting up to shoot video or take photos is distracting, whether there's a flash or not.  It's rude, selfish, and inconsiderate to the people around you.  Tickets to Hello Dolly are incredibly expensive, and if I'm paying that much to see the show, you can bet I expect the audience around me to not distract from the action onstage, regardless of how relevant to the plot of the show it may or may not be. 

RJ14
#507HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:18am

I don't think Gavin is wasted here, this is the role of a lifetime, he has the biggest featured part and he will definitely get nominated and likely win for a Tony for best actor in a featured role. Any actor on Broadway would be thankful to be in the ensemble of this show opposite Bette Midler

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#508HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:18am

Was Gavin back in the show Thursday night?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#509HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:20am

Ok, so I saw the matinee on Wednesday March 29th  and all I can say  is if every musical was this extravagant, entertaining, and heart warming, no one would ever question the price of a Broadway ticket again. 

First and foremost I will day I was slightly disappointed in Bette's voice during the first act, as I felt she was holding back, after all it was her first Wednesday Matinee. By the second act though, she was full steam ahead. She had the audience in the palm of her hand throughout the entire show, and you by the time Hello Dolly came about she could simply wink and the audience would erupt. You can tell she is having the time of her life up there and that she knows her entire career has seemed to lead up to playing Dolly. I honestly forgot she is 71 playing a role meant for a woman 20-30 years her younger, and when I took that into account I was all the more blown away by her craft. I don't want to jinx it and cause her to have a Jan Maxwell moment come June, but they should just engrave the placard on the statuette on it right now. 

David Hyde Pierce was great and held his own against Ms Middler, but I think Benn Platt does not need to worry, unless the theater community finally decides to award the amazing talent and treasure that are  Andy Karl's eyebrows. This is nothing against Mr Pierce, he was great, it just wasn't his show.

Gavin Creel, was out, but God I must say if I were the producers I would honestly think of of releasing him because Christian Dante White's bright eyed and bushy tailed Cornelius was the perfect foil to Middler's all knowing Dolly. If they did drop Creel, I could honestly see this being a star making turn for White, and would considering him serious contender, if not front runner come Tony time. This guy has a career ahead of him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him either as the next Lola, or Aaron Burr or Lafayette  within the next year or so. This does not mean I don't like Creel, I loved him in Hair, and She Loves Me, I just think I was blown away by White, who is a relatively green gypsy was able to hold his own against the scenery chewing legend that is Bette Middler. 

Kate Baldwin oh Kate Baldwin, you are always the bridesmaid and never the bride.....oh how I wish Finnian's Rainbow had transferred to the Neil Simon just so it could afford to run through the Tony's so you would of been a serious contender for Best Actress and your career wouldn't of stalled. Her voice is like a gift from God, and  I hope this helps her regain status as a Leading lady.

Beanie Feldstein as Minnie Fay, is a scene stealer who at times even upstages Ms Middler. If there were any cast member outside of Bette that was a serious contender come award season it would be Ms Feldstein.

Jennifer Simard is hilarious, but I just wish she would be able to get a meatier role post her Disaster sucess. 

Taylor Trensch, Melanie Moore, and Will Burton were all serviceable.

The production though was simply gorgeous. When most productions are cutting corners with projections, and symbolic set pieces, this production went all out with beautiful backdrops, and fully realized sets. It seems like it was definitely inspired by the original production looking at the videos, but when the train pulls onto the stage during Put on Your Sunday clothes, I was simply blown away. I can't remember any show in recent memory having a set piece of that size and grandeur come onto the stage for such a simple moment. Then the costumes, were just mesmerizing. My jaw dropped as the cast walked out in their "Sunday Clothes". I am not one to normally rave about a production, but all I can say is WOW.

After I saw The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen (all of which were/are SRO shows when I saw them, forcing me to pay full price), my friends would ask me "How was it and is it worth the splurge?" My answer was always, "It was great, but I honestly would wait until the hype dies down. I would only see it if you can get some sort of discount as most of your ticket price isn't going to the production itself, but rather the producer's pockets." For Hello Dolly, you can honestly your money on stage and considering its a once in a lifetime production with a once in a lifetime performance, it is most definitely worth the splurge. This is nothing against more innovative musical productions on Broadway, my favorite show is Next to Normal, but I do have a problem pay $150+ for a relatively bare-bones production. I am a fan of producers like Sonia Friedman who try to make sure there are a decent number of tickets that are reasonably priced so that they are accessibly to all audiences. 

On a different note: If there was any show that should actually worry about Hello Dolly come Tony time, it should be NPATGC1812 as I think this Hello Dolly could easily sweep the technical awards, which NPATGC1812 will definitively need for marketing purposed once Groban leaves, if Dear Evan Hansen also gets Best Musical. It will honestly come down to whether voters want to award an innovative production whose design somewhat redefines what it means to be in a theater, or one of the most beautiful sets I have ever seen.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#510HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:27am

Cornelius is a great featured role and Gavin is utterly charming and perfect in it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Whateverjsays
#511HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:31am

bdn223 said: "
Gavin Creel, was out, but God I must say if I were the producers I would honestly think of of releasing him because Christian Dante White's bright eyed and bushy tailed Cornelius was the perfect foil to Middler's all knowing Dolly. If they did drop Creel, I could honestly see this being a star making turn for White, and would considering him serious contender, if not front runner come Tony time. This guy has a career ahead of him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him either as the next Lola, or Aaron Burr or Lafayette  within the next year or so. This does not mean I don't like Creel, I loved him in Hair, and She Loves Me, I just think I was blown away by White, who is a relatively green gypsy was able to hold his own against the scenery chewing legend that is Bette Middler. "

I don't even want to think about this happening. I think this is finally the year that Gavin will win his much deserved Tony award.

Midnight Radio
#512HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:35am

Agreed that besides Bette Midler, Christian Dante White ran away with the show. So glad I was privileged to see him. What a talent

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#513HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 11:19am

I'd still be interested in seeing Gavin Creel in the role even though I thought Christian Dante White was fantastic. But I'd come back a second time to watch lead waiter Giuseppe Bausilio flip his hair around as he leaps across the stage chasing his mustache and preening. There are some superb dance performances in the show but Bausilio's was a masterful blend of comedy and technique. 

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#514HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 12:08pm

Wick3 said: "Stage Door Sally said: "I think it's pretty cool seeing a man of color as Cornelius and was thrilled to see the senior matinee crowd loving him. Could this be A Star is Born moment?

"

African-Americans have performed as Cornelius in the past like the cast back in 1968 (but I believe it was an all-black cast starring Pearl Bailey as Dolly?) not sure but this may be the first time it was a mixed cast?

I saw Pearl Bailey's production on Broadway, and still cherish the memories from it, so was not implying a Black man has not played this part before.  

TerrenceIsTheMann
#515HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 12:19pm

"I'd still be interested in seeing Gavin Creel in the role even though I thought Christian Dante White was fantastic. But I'd come back a second time to watch lead waiter Giuseppe Bausilio flip his hair around as he leaps across the stage chasing his mustache and preening. There are some superb dance performances in the show but Bausilio's was a masterful blend of comedy and technique."

I agree! 
Love that you pointed out an ensemble member! I also really loved his performance, he tends to stand out in an ensemble when he's in a show. I also loved the cartoonish Aaron Kaburick who was also a standout in Rotten! and Michael McCormick, who is always tenderly blunt and honest in his roles.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#516HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:53pm

Some normally priced box eats are available for next weekend.  Has anyone sat there? I believe they are $169.00

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#517HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:36pm

bdn223 said: "Ok, so I saw the matinee on Wednesday March 29th  and all I can say  is if every musical was this extravagant, entertaining, and heart warming, no one would ever question the price of a Broadway ticket again. 

First and foremost I will day I was slightly disappointed in Bette's voice during the first act, as I felt she was holding back, after all it was her first Wednesday Matinee. By the second act though, she was full steam ahead. She had the audience in the palm of her hand throughout the entire show, and you by the time Hello Dolly came about she could simply wink and the audience would erupt. You can tell she is having the time of her life up there and that she knows her entire career has seemed to lead up to playing Dolly. I honestly forgot she is 71 playing a role meant for a woman 20-30 years her younger, and when I took that into account I was all the more blown away by her craft. I don't want to jinx it and cause her to have a Jan Maxwell moment come June, but they should just engrave the placard on the statuette on it right now. 

David Hyde Pierce was great and held his own against Ms Middler, but I think Benn Platt does not need to worry, unless the theater community finally decides to award the amazing talent and treasure that are  Andy Karl's eyebrows. This is nothing against Mr Pierce, he was great, it just wasn't his show.

Gavin Creel, was out, but God I must say if I were the producers I would honestly think of of releasing him because Christian Dante White's bright eyed and bushy tailed Cornelius was the perfect foil to Middler's all knowing Dolly. If they did drop Creel, I could honestly see this being a star making turn for White, and would considering him serious contender, if not front runner come Tony time. This guy has a career ahead of him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him either as the next Lola, or Aaron Burr or Lafayette  within the next year or so. This does not mean I don't like Creel, I loved him in Hair, and She Loves Me, I just think I was blown away by White, who is a relatively green gypsy was able to hold his own against the scenery chewing legend that is Bette Middler. 

Kate Baldwin oh Kate Baldwin, you are always the bridesmaid and never the bride.....oh how I wish Finnian's Rainbow had transferred to the Neil Simon just so it could afford to run through the Tony's so you would of been a serious contender for Best Actress and your career wouldn't of stalled. Her voice is like a gift from God, and  I hope this helps her regain status as a Leading lady.

Beanie Feldstein as Minnie Fay, is a scene stealer who at times even upstages Ms Middler. If there were any cast member outside of Bette that was a serious contender come award season it would be Ms Feldstein.

Jennifer Simard is hilarious, but I just wish she would be able to get a meatier role post her Disaster sucess. 

Taylor Trensch, Melanie Moore, and Will Burton were all serviceable.

The production though was simply gorgeous. When most productions are cutting corners with projections, and symbolic set pieces, this production went all out with beautiful backdrops, and fully realized sets. It seems like it was definitely inspired by the original production looking at the videos, but when the train pulls onto the stage during Put on Your Sunday clothes, I was simply blown away. I can't remember any show in recent memory having a set piece of that size and grandeur come onto the stage for such a simple moment. Then the costumes, were just mesmerizing. My jaw dropped as the cast walked out in their "Sunday Clothes". I am not one to normally rave about a production, but all I can say is WOW.

After I saw The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen (all of which were/are SRO shows when I saw them, forcing me to pay full price), my friends would ask me "How was it and is it worth the splurge?" My answer was always, "It was great, but I honestly would wait until the hype dies down. I would only see it if you can get some sort of discount as most of your ticket price isn't going to the production itself, but rather the producer's pockets." For Hello Dolly, you can honestly your money on stage and considering its a once in a lifetime production with a once in a lifetime performance, it is most definitely worth the splurge. This is nothing against more innovative musical productions on Broadway, my favorite show is Next to Normal, but I do have a problem pay $150+ for a relatively bare-bones production. I am a fan of producers like Sonia Friedman who try to make sure there are a decent number of tickets that are reasonably priced so that they are accessibly to all audiences. 

On a different note: If there was any show that should actually worry about Hello Dolly come Tony time, it should be NPATGC1812 as I think this Hello Dolly could easily sweep the technical awards, which NPATGC1812 will definitively need for marketing purposed once Groban leaves, if Dear Evan Hansen also gets Best Musical. It will honestly come down to whether voters want to award an innovative production whose design somewhat redefines what it means to be in a theater, or one of the most beautiful sets I have ever seen.  

Bette is so great that you added and extra "d" to her last name!!!!  I love you.  I'll be seeing the show on my annual trip to NYC in June.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#518HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:43pm

"Gavin Creel, was out, but God I must say if I were the producers I would honestly think of of releasing him because Christian Dante White's bright eyed and bushy tailed Cornelius was the perfect foil to Middler's all knowing Dolly. If they did drop Creel, I could honestly see this being a star making turn for White, and would considering him serious contender, if not front runner come Tony time. This guy has a career ahead of him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him either as the next Lola, or Aaron Burr or Lafayette  within the next year or so. This does not mean I don't like Creel, I loved him in Hair, and She Loves Me, I just think I was blown away by White, who is a relatively green gypsy was able to hold his own against the scenery chewing legend that is Bette Middler. "

Is there any chance that Creel is going to be dropped? You shouldn't be saying something like that if it were not 100% true. 

It's one thing to be excited about a new performer, but you don't need to put down another performer, especially considering Creel may be out for personal reasons. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#519HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:47pm

He probably just has a cold and they don't want it spreading to anyone else.    Or maybe he had a pre arranged commitment?   I think people are just excited and like to speculate about anything with this show,

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#520HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 3:04pm

He's out sick, folks!  Best thing for him, and for his company, is to stay home and get well!  Then he can come back full steam and put his exquisite talents to use.  His "It Only Takes A Moment" is especially enchanting, as you'll hear hopefully when he returns!

Updated On: 3/31/17 at 03:04 PM

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#521HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 11:26pm

Gavin was back in the show tonight. He sounded great!

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#522HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 6:44pm

FYI... For the next week-plus of shows, Telecharge has released the last row right orchestra seats that I believe were being used for production people (I sat in the row in front, S)... Grab 'em while you can! :)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'
Updated On: 4/2/17 at 06:44 PM

sppunk
#523HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 10:47pm

Can't add much to what others have said. Saw this Saturday night and it is everything a Broadway musical should be- big, bold, colorful and flamboyant. 

The costumes are out of this world great. 

It's also the only show I've ever seen anywhere where it is stopped in the middle of an act for a prolonged standing ovation. 

Go. See. This. 

Dollypop
#524HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 11:03pm

The original production usually got 5 standing ovulation: when Carol stepped off the trolley, at the end of the parade, when Carol appeared at the top of the stairs, at the end of the title number, and at curtain calls.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos