News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#475HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:18am

I love reading all these reports, and I kind of hope Christian Dante White is on when I see it next Friday.  Best decision I made was to buy a ticket to Saturday matinee as well!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#476HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:45am

The Dolly logo tote is $25. I bought pins to put in welcoming bags for my group, but got one tote for myself.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#477HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:02pm

Front row is partial view? Is this orchestra center front row or side orch front row?

i have a ticket to see Hello Dolly once more in late May and I can't wait! This time I'll be in orchestra so I hope to see more of the facial expressions. Can't wait!

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#478HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:05pm

I'm a long time "lurker" on these boards, but I just wanted to share my experience at the Tuesday night performance of Hello, Dolly because it truly reminded me of why I love theatre. And I'm sorry if this post is long or indulgent, but I truly feel the need to describe that amazing night. 

First off, getting into the theatre was enough entertainment for the night. As anyone who's seen the show knows, the crowd control with the massive lines of Anastasia and Dolly is practically nonexistent. And the pouring rain and jumble of umbrellas did nothing to help. 

You'd think we didn't have assigned seats. Once the doors opened everyone was jostling and trying to cut. And all around people were reprimanding others or realizing they were in the wrong line. I myself had managed to get mixed up in a line for Anastasia, along with a bunch of other Hello Dolly ticket holders. A very nice person let me hop in front of them as it was just me who noticed. Closer to the doors, the number of older audience members arguing with security and refusing to let down their umbrellas until they got in the lobby was laughable. 

Once inside, it was clear people were willing to do everything to get their seats. People were shepherding their older parents slowly down the aisles, while other people pushed past. A man was so winded going up the stairs he had to stop moving after every step and people just rushed past, only a couple offered help. It truly felt like every man or woman for themselves. 

I was way up in the Balcony, row F. The view wasn't terrible. There was a pole in my way but very little blocked it. And I only missed some small portions where they used the extension past the pit opening. 

As for the show itself, everyone's said it all, so I won't go into a critique of every aspect. But it's pure bliss. I did not stop grinning from start to finish. The audience took every chance to applaud and cheer. The costumes and set were stunning. And all the ensemble numbers just made me feel so happy. There's no other way to put it, it's beautiful. 

I have never seen a show with that much palpable energy to see a star. And during Act II "Hello, Dolly" number, (while I absolutely DO NOT condone this) the number of people pulling out their phones to snap a pic of Ms Midler coming down the staircase was insane. And while it was a total distraction at first, it almost added to the euphoric, "iconic moment" feeling I had while watching the show. People were already on their feet before the song was even done. 

I am so thankful I got to see this production. End of rant :) 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 12:05 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#479HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:47pm

phantomcrazy14 said: "I have never seen a show with that much palpable energy to see a star. And during Act II "Hello, Dolly" number, (while I absolutely DO NOT condone this) the number of people pulling out their phones to snap a pic of Ms Midler coming down the staircase was insane. And while it was a total distraction at first, it almost added to the euphoric, "iconic moment" feeling I had while watching the show. People were already on their feet before the song was even done. 

I don't find anything remotely "euphoric" about people pulling out phones to take video or pictures in the middle of a live show.  I'd be beyond annoyed, quite honestly. Where were the ushers? Why is this allowed to happen? Is this a regular occurrence? 

I can only imagine what would happen if someone tried this nonsense in a show that Patti was in. 

Brian07663NJ
#480HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:08pm

Wick3 said: "Front row is partial view? Is this orchestra center front row or side orch front row?"

No...front row is not entirely partial view. I specifically was the second seat from the right and the seat next to me (third from right) was $650. The wall was directly in front of me but it was fine looking to my left so it requires sitting slightly turned. I missed 2 minor 'moments' but for purchasing the ticket this past Saturday, at regular price and sitting in the first row...it was worth it for me.

However, the first row premium ticket holders made me think of Bette's familiar joke about American Express Gold Card Holders "The pay extra to watch me like this:" (and she tilts her head completely back to look directly up)

As for picture takers...I did not see anyone in my vicinity taking pictures. I actually did look around at the curtain call. Why would anyone jeopardize being thrown out - the ushers have buttons on their vests that say "no cameras". I also did not see ushers at the curtain call in the aisles watching the crowd for cameras as I have in other theaters.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#481HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:09pm

When I saw the show last Friday evening, ushers were very strict with cell phone photos whenever the actors were onstage (including curtain call.)

last night I didn't see anyone taking cell phone pics during the show but I sat in second row mezz so my view was limited to mainly front row mezz and the stage.

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#482HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:05pm

adamgreer said: "phantomcrazy14 said: "I have never seen a show with that much palpable energy to see a star. And during Act II "Hello, Dolly" number, (while I absolutely DO NOT condone this) the number of people pulling out their phones to snap a pic of Ms Midler coming down the staircase was insane. And while it was a total distraction at first, it almost added to the euphoric, "iconic moment" feeling I had while watching the show. People were already on their feet before the song was even done. 

I don't find anything remotely "euphoric" about people pulling out phones to take video or pictures in the middle of a live show.  I'd be beyond annoyed, quite honestly. Where were the ushers? Why is this allowed to happen? Is this a regular occurrence? 

I can only imagine what would happen if someone tried this nonsense in a show that Patti was in. 

"

Totally get this. Let me clarify and rephrase. Before the number, I noticed that ushers were coming down the aisle almost to get ready for it. So I'm not sure if that commonly happens. They were very quick to shut down any people who took their phone out. 

As for distracting, I'll be very honest, not only was I in an extra giddy mood from the show, but what was happening onstage was so exciting I glanced for a moment at what was happening with the phones but then my attention went immediately went back to the stage. 

Believe me, I get very annoyed with any phone use. But for some reason in the moment I just rolled my eyes and went back to the performance 

Whateverjsays
#483HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:28pm

So is anybody else getting worried about Gavin? 4th performance out :/

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#484HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:44pm

adamgreer said: "I don't find anything remotely "euphoric" about people pulling out phones to take video or pictures in the middle of a live show.  I'd be beyond annoyed, quite honestly. Where were the ushers? Why is this allowed to happen? Is this a regular occurrence? 

"

Oh, good grief! A beloved star in a bright red dress walks down a flight of stairs. Taking a photo isn't something I would do, but as the OP implied, it isn't surprising in a show that has always been a star vehicle and, this time, is as much an "event" as a play.

It isn't Willy Loman's funeral.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#485HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:44pm

phantomcrazy14, i never understood the point in lining up outside the theater an hour before the show starts. This seems way too common these days. There's so much to see and do in NYC, if anything else, go grab a drink somewhere before the show. People always feel the need to be the first ones in the theater these days. Whether I'm by myself or with friends and/or family, we always wait until about 15 minutes before the show to get inside. I always laugh when I walk by theaters to see people lining up extremely early to get inside.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#486HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:03pm

ACL2006 said: "phantomcrazy14, i never understood the point in lining up outside the theater an hour before the show starts. This seems way too common these days. There's so much to see and do in NYC, if anything else, go grab a drink somewhere before the show. People always feel the need to be the first ones in the theater these days. Whether I'm by myself or with friends and/or family, we always wait until about 15 minutes before the show to get inside. I always laugh when I walk by theaters to see people lining up extremely early to get inside.

"

What a ridiculous statement.  Sure I would rather have them unapologetically stumble to their seat during the opening number.  I have no problem with people being "too early" to see theatre.  I don't appreciate people who wait till 15 minutes before to climb all over everybody to get to their seats.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#487HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:08pm

GavestonPS said: "adamgreer said: "I don't find anything remotely "euphoric" about people pulling out phones to take video or pictures in the middle of a live show.  I'd be beyond annoyed, quite honestly. Where were the ushers? Why is this allowed to happen? Is this a regular occurrence? 

"

Oh, good grief! A beloved star in a bright red dress walks down a flight of stairs. Taking a photo isn't something I would do, but as the OP implied, it isn't surprising in a show that has always been a star vehicle and, this time, is as much an "event" as a play.

That doesn't make it any less distracting or rude to the people around you. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#488HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:10pm

And it's illegal! 

Whateverjsays
#489HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:29pm

This is my own paranoia, but you don't think they'd replace Gavin if he's off too many days in previews right? 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#490HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:45pm

No. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#491HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:56pm

All I know is that I'm glad I saw Mr. White in the role, he was wonderful. And Bette pushed him forward for the final bow! 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#492HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:30pm

Some idiot said: (while I absolutely DO NOT condone this) the number of people pulling out their phones to snap a pic of Ms Midler coming down the staircase was insane. And while it was a total distraction at first, it almost added to the euphoric, "iconic moment" feeling I had while watching the show. (while I absolutely DO NOT condone this) the number of people pulling out their phones to snap a pic of Ms Midler coming down the staircase was insane. And while it was a total distraction at first, it almost added to the euphoric, "iconic moment" feeling I had while watching the show. 

Let me be blunt: I would be delighted to see anyone who pulls out a cell phone during this (or any other) show tasered, dragged out of the theater and strung up in Shubert Alley to die before they have a chance to disturb my enjoyment of the show.

Tasered. Dragged out. And strung up in Shubert Alley to die.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#493HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:38pm

Thank you, PJ. Just because this production is a big event doesn't mean I want to see damn cell phones around me filming or photographing Bette on the iconic staircase. As AdamGreer said, that would not be happening in a Patti LuPone production and it should not be happening here. 

brdway411
#494HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:53pm

That was incredible. It's my first time ever seeing it, yes I never saw the movie. Bette is wonderful. I feel Gavin is wasted. DHP is great. We had one understudy, who was outstanding. Worth waiting for SRO TICKETS. 

Updated On: 3/31/17 at 10:53 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#495HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:52pm

adamgreer said: "Oh, good grief! A beloved star in a bright red dress walks down a flight of stairs. Taking a photo isn't something I would do, but as the OP implied, it isn't surprising in a show that has always been a star vehicle and, this time, is as much an "event" as a play.

That doesn't make it any less distracting or rude to the people around you. 

"

You seem to understand I'm not condoning the practice. Thank you for that. Myself, I try to experience life directly rather than capturing endless images of what I missed while taking photos.

But "distracting" from what? The celebration of an aging icon? As Harold Prince has been pointing out since before the original production, the number makes no sense in the plot. The play stops dead while we celebrate a beloved entertainer, accompanied by a tune that could just as easily have ended up as a TV commercial jingle. The number is the musical comedy equivalent of fans rushing the stage to throw flowers when Judy sings "Swanee".

Or do the mid-number standing ovations also "distract" you from the intricate plotting? If so, let me assure that no character does anything that matters until the song is over. LOL.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#496HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:57pm

But "distracting" from what?

For one, it distracts from my concentration and enjoyment of the show. If I see a phone light up near me, my eye is instantly drawn to it, distracting me from what's happening on the stage. It's pure disrespect to other audience members and the actors on the stage. 

Secondly, I don't partake in mid show standing ovations and I didn't during the first preview of this great production. I don't have a problem if people do it, but it's just not for me. Plot heavy or not, they could be mildly distracting, but nothing is worse than the phones. 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 11:57 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#497HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 12:11am

brdway411 said: "That was incredible. It's my first time ever seeing it, yes I never saw the movie. Better is wonderful. I feel Gavin is wasted. DHP is great. We had one understudy, who was outstanding. Worth waiting for SRO TICKETS. "

I'm planning to do SRO for this show once an actually policy has been confirmed. I just don't want to wait only to find out there's no SRO for that day (last Friday there was no SRO).

What did you mean Gavin is wasted? I loved Michael Crawford in the movie and Michael DeVries (sp?) as Cornelius HAckl in the 1994 revival. I personally thought Christian Dante White was amazing  and right up on part with Creel. Which understudy performed Thursday evening?

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#498HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 12:21am

Christian Dante White performed tonight (Thursday). I thought he was fantastic. 

Re: the photo taking discussion. The production uses an apron stage with a narrow opening for the orchestra pit (that has netting over it). The playing and particularly the dancing area is very shallow. As much as I loved the production the precariousness of the dancing so near this open pit pulled me out of the show a few times too many. It was a bit circus-like and it's actually used for stunts during the Waiter's Ballet. But some idiot could do real damage by aiming a flash at the dancers and actors while they're negotiating this tricky playing area. 

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#499HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:19am

I was at the Thursday night show.  Bette was as phenomenal as expected (the last and only other time I saw her live was at there last concert tour, and I was sitting all the way at the back of the arena, so she was a mere blip.  This time I splurged on second row orchestra seats on the aisle when some popped up late last week). I forgot what a great physical comedian she is.

i did notice that when Bette was exiting Vandergelder's shop during "Put on Your Sunday Clothes", she had a little trip on something before the step down off the set piece (I think it may have been the door thresh hold). I had this complete look of terror on my face as I feared what would happen if she actually fell.  She made a little face, looked out to our area of the audience (and I swear she made direct eye contact with me for a second) and recovered well, and while crossing to the middle of the stage, she said "it's live" (or something similar to that as she said it over the ensemble's singing).  That will be forever seared into my memory banks. 

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Videos