pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 21

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#500Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/25/09 at 10:45pm

The costumer for GYPSY needed to be shot. That wrap-around dress they put her in was so unflattering and hugged her in all wrong places.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#501Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/25/09 at 10:47pm

Honestly, I'd be happy to look like Patti Lupone when I'm her age. Well, except for the nose. But not many sixty-year-old ladies have that hourglass figure going on. Most of them don't really have a waistline, even if they're much thinner than Patti is.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#502Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/25/09 at 10:48pm

well then my unpopular opinion is that she looked great in Gypsy. Especially in that dress.

oh, and another one of my possibly unpopular opinions is that Hair is very good, but I don't think it's a flawless show or should be the go-to recommendation for everybody asking for a show to see.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 9/25/09 at 10:48 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#503Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/25/09 at 10:58pm

Matt Risch was a stellar Pal Joey and deserved a Tony nomination. Martha Plimpton deserved that Tony over Karen Olivo.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

fscmocsgal Profile Photo
fscmocsgal
#504Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/26/09 at 7:50pm

I loved 9 to 5. Wish they would have been around a lot longer.

I am finally going to see Wicked in February in Tampa - then I can add my like/dislike to the subject.

I like Kristin Chenoweth, but sometimes what comes out of her mouth (during interviews) concerns me.

I have mixed feelings about GLEE (coming from an elementary music teacher).

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#505Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/26/09 at 10:55pm

I am rapidly losing interest in GLEE with each new episode.

I don't care if you call a cast recording a soundtrack.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 9/29/09 at 10:55 PM

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#506Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 10/27/09 at 1:06am

Not a fan of Raul Esparza. He reminds me of a clean shaven Caveman Lawyer.

Re:  Unpopular Opinions

I love Jersey Boys.

I love Wicked.

I really liked Chess: In Concert and enjoyed Idina Menzel's "Nobody's Side."

I love RENT.

Updated On: 10/27/09 at 01:06 AM

Shiimall2
#507Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 10/27/09 at 3:49am

I think some very popular performers are overrated, such as: Kristin Chenoweth, Liza Minelli, Angela Lansbury, Nathan Lane, etc. while I will agree that they are talented and way more popular and successful than I.

I want to sew Lea Michele's mouth closed an give her a nose job.

I think the music of Spring Awakening is lovely but the book and lyrics should be rewritten.

I honestly HATE Wicked and every time someone mentions it I just want to claw my eyes out.

I really enjoy The Wedding Singer. "It's your Wedding Day" is one of my favorite songs to sing while driving.

I don't understand why Jennifer Cody keeps getting work.

"Glee" is just the worst.

Musical theatre acting is hammy and usually I don't enjoy it. (I know, it's a different style of acting, but it bothers me, nonetheless.)

Hugh Panaro is very talented, but picks dismal roles in dismal shows.

Something about Kelli O'hara urks me. She's phenomenal, but something about her mannerisms offstage don't impress.

I think Eyedina is just great. :)

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#508Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 10/27/09 at 4:28pm

It irritates me when people bash Legally Blonde. I mean, I understand where they're coming from because when I first heard about it I was disgusted, but then I saw it. What people don't seem to realise is that they're treating the show like the characters in the show treat Elle. She seems blonde and fluffy and pink but she's got a heart and she's smart. I don't think most of the people who talk bad about Legally Blonde have even seen it.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

Mattbrain
#509Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/2/09 at 8:23am

I have recently developed a great deal of respect for Ben Brantley. Even though I don't always agree with his opinions, I have been watching old Charlie Rose clips and I just get a sense that this is a man who loves going to the theater and loves reviewing it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#510Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/2/09 at 5:40pm

Reiterating my unpopular opinion:

Drew Sarich--not good for theater. At least stay away from Jesus Christ Superstar, for crying out loud. Stop slathering my chocolate with your ****.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

AwesomeDanny
#511Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/2/09 at 5:52pm

Please don't kill me, but I liked Idina Menzel's "Nobody's Side" better than Julia Murney's.

iluvcioffiiluvtea23 Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea23
#513Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/14/09 at 11:05am

Kristin Chenoweth's speech at the Emmy Awards this year was adorable, touching and humble.

David Hyde Pierce has a beautiful singing voice.

I loved the 2004 revival of La Cage Aux Folles.

http://finiansrainbowforum.proboards.com/index.cgi

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#514Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/14/09 at 5:15pm

The "Carrie" reading and possible revival does not interest me in the slightest.

AndAllThatJazz22
#515Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/14/09 at 8:53pm

I don't see why everyone thinks that Jonathan Groff couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. On the contrary, I think he's a fantastic actor.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#516Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/14/09 at 9:06pm

Frances Ruffelle's "On My Own" annoys me a lot, and I love that song. I vastly prefer Lea Salonga singing it.

Jonathan Groff and Lea Michele can both act.

Gavin Creel didn't deserve to win a Tony for playing Claude, even though I enjoyed his performance. Will Swenson was definitely Tony-worthy though in my opinion. Alas neither one of them won in either category, so that's neither here nor there.

I'm absurdly excited about the Dreamgirls tour.

Every time somebody posts something about how ugly Broadway actors are should have to post a picture of themselves so the rest of us can judge them on solely appearance as well. Glass houses, stone-throwing, etc.

trombonist
#517Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/14/09 at 9:39pm

Based on the performance I saw, I don't think this revival of Ragtime is all that. I heard so much good, but I found it just...not. I'll put it this way. I never saw it before, but I have toe OBCR. It makes me cry like a baby. The week when I saw the revival on Friday I'd been on the verge of tears because of other stuff going on in my life and should have cried at the drop of a hat. I was dry-eyed the whole time.

I really hope it was just an off night. But based on what I saw, I don't think it's that good. And definitely not "brilliant" or any of the other gushing adjectives I've seen used.

Tateh Profile Photo
Tateh
#518Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 5:56am

I Don´t know why but I can´t stand Neil Patrick Harris

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#519Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 6:44am

I love the film version of On The Town, and POTO as well
A also think the character of Queenie would work better as a brunette
Updated On: 1/19/10 at 06:44 AM

The Other One
#520Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 7:39am

Sondheim is as gifted a composer/lyricist as Broadway has ever seen, but:
1) We don't need another revue that strings his songs together out of context. Not now, probably not ever.
2) He has talent, yes, but taste: questionable. Every time he calls a revival of a show closer to his original intentions I cringe. Recent revivals of his shows have been but pale shadows of their glorious originals -- well, I guess that is not an unpopular opinion, to be fair.

Hugh Jackman is boring. Works MUCH too hard and it shows.

I don't care how many awards he wins, I never need to see or hear Philip Seymour Hoffman scream or whine his way through another play ever again.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#521Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 6:33pm

Mamie was better.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#522Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 9:43pm

The "Carrie" reading and possible revival does not interest me in the slightest.

Really, beagle? It's one of your self-avowed favorites over at MdN. Double-standards to appear cool at other forums...sad. Sad.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#523Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/10 at 11:13pm

I'm editing my original message because I figured out that MdN is musicals.net, and there is apparently a "Beagle" or something like that on there, but that is not me. I've read on there occasionally , but I'm not registered so I've never posted. That "Beagle" might like Carrie, but this one doesn't care about it in the least. No double standards--just a case of mistaken identity.

Updated On: 1/19/10 at 11:13 PM

romgitsean
#524Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/20/10 at 9:53am

-I love Lestat in San Francisco and think it had potential to be amazing on its transfer to Broadway.

-Patti LuPone literally makes me cringe. Whoever made the comment how it mustve been impossible to get to where she is because she's too ugly to sleep her way to the top, I agree 100%. Same goes for Liza and Channing, for the most part.

-Wicked is a fantastic show, and is very enjoyable to see live, but it is overrated. (Although, that seems to be a popular opinion. Same with Rent)

-The revival of Into the Woods wasn't that bad.

-Jersey Shore pisses me off. I hate it. I'm a stone-cold New Jerseyite and it makes me mad when people go out of their way to make jokes about how New Jersey is trashy, and try to make it look bad. It's like beating a dead horse with a stick.

-I HATE MGM'S WIZARD OF OZ. It has ruined every Oz-related project, and wasn't even truthful to the books in the least.

-Return to Oz is one of the best movies ever. With a truly emotional and beautiful score, to boot.

-Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are two seperate books, and should never, under any circumstances be combined into one storyline. That being said, I think the new Tim Burton movie, the new musical Wonderland, The Sci-Fi TV show, American McGee's Alice, The New Off-Broadway play, are some of the worst adaptations of Alice to ever come around and should not exist.

-Harry Potter isn't that great. I lost interest after the second book.

-I dislike Dakota Fanning.

-I can't even express how much I detest Twilight.

-Reality TV shows are stupid.

-Spring Awakening is pretentious and was just one big song cycle that happened to do well.

-The book for N2N is AWFUL.

-Broadway flops are generally more interesting than hits.

-Carrie: The Musical is amazing and horrific at the same time. I have a huge love-hate relationship with it. I love (most of) the score, hate the book and overall design of the original production. However, I think the proposed revival will change things and make it work.

-Jukebox musicals on the whole annoy me. Unless it's a REALLY good idea, I'm usually revolted at the idea of one.

-I hate pretty much everything ALW has written but Woman in White...and Joseph can be enjoyable...at times...strictly at times.

-LSOH and Sweeney Todd should NEVER be performed in high schools. They're ALWAYS ruined. LSOH is always overcast with 399494939 kids and no high school can handle the music of Sweeney. Unless it's like...PPAS.

-Glee is stupid.

-I think Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp are really gifted performers...especially Adam. He's so passionate in everything he does.

-Idina Menzel: Horrible breath support, but overall I love her voice, and it was mainly because of seeing her in Wicked when it first opened with Kristin Chenoweth together that made me so interested in this crazy world we call theatre.

More opinions to come!

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 1/20/10 at 09:53 AM

romgitsean
#525Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/20/10 at 9:53am

EDIT: Double-posting. Sorry!

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 1/20/10 at 09:53 AM

Videos