pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 23

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#550FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 3:09pm

I'm happily surprised at the diversity in the cast--multiple POC in the ensemble. Thank you, Disney.

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#551FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 3:58pm

If I find myself in NYC, I'll try to attend a standby performance because I am sorry but I also think Murin and Levy are not age appropriate for the roles and if they say anything about their characters being 18 or 21, I am going to die laughing. Also, Alyssa Fox is my favorite Elphaba that I have seen and I adore her.

JennH
#552FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:02pm

ozjust4 said: "If I find myself in NYC, I'll try to attend a standby performance because I am sorry but I also think Murin and Levy are not age appropriate for the roles and if they say anything about their characters being 18 or 21, I am going to die laughing. Also, Alyssa Fox is my favorite Elphaba that I have seen and I adore her.

"

Alyssa is over 30 so...

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#553FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:07pm

JennH said: "ozjust4 said: "If I find myself in NYC, I'll try to attend a standby performance because I am sorry but I also think Murin and Levy are not age appropriate for the roles and if they say anything about their characters being 18 or 21, I am going to die laughing. Also, Alyssa Fox is my favorite Elphaba that I have seen and I adore her.

"

Alyssa is over 30 so...

"

Alyssa can read younger though, Patti & Caissie look their age.

VintageSnarker
#554FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:11pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I'm happily surprised at the diversity in the cast--multiple POC in the ensemble. Thank you, Disney.

I agree. I hope none of the parents make a fuss if they get one or both of the standbys. Sorry, my optimism is feeling a little crushed lately. 

AEA AGMA SM
#555FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:55pm

Has there been any fuss over the multi-cultural casting of the version that runs at the theme park (I think it's in California Adventure)? If the theme park crowds can handle it I'm sure the Broadway crowds will be equally ok with seeing a cast that's not as lily-white as the movie version.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#556FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:04pm

VintageSnarker said: "oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I'm happily surprised at the diversity in the cast--multiple POC in the ensemble. Thank you, Disney.

I agree. I hope none of the parents make a fuss if they get one or both of the standbys. Sorry, my optimism is feeling a little crushed lately.
"

I doubt it will happen because the understudies are not white, the fuss would come from them being understudies. I worked as an usher at our local theater when Lion King was in town for 2 months - and I never once saw patrons being upset about understudies. I don't think kids care that much unless they know the cast members through videos etc., and parents would hopefully be reasonable. I think we can safely say that Frozen audience members would be mostly parents who will take their kids and don't care who they see all that much.

Alyssa Fox is a phenomenal performer. I didn't know anything about her when I saw her go as Elphaba when Wicked was touring. I was very upset because I had been looking forward to seeing Wicked for a good 10 months at that point, but she had me completely in the palm of her hand after "The Wizard & I".

I keep thinking about the Denee Benton's interview where she refers to the little black girl who came up to her at stage door and exclaimed that she didn't realize black girls could be princesses. I'm very happy for all black girls who'd get a chance to see Alisha. Here's hoping for a better generation.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#557FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:08pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Has there been any fuss over the multi-cultural casting of the version that runs at the theme park (I think it's in California Adventure)? If the theme park crowds can handle it I'm sure the Broadway crowds will be equally ok with seeing a cast that's not as lily-white as the movie version.

No, not that I'm aware of. But it's California. Their clientele is very different than the clientele down here at the Florida parks. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#558FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:39pm

Just got our tix for late September in Denver

bk
#559FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 7:04pm

Selective memory is a wonderful thing.  Do you think Patti just went on a rant without having a reason to do so?  Back when that happened this board was frequently filled with snide remarks, some of which were personal and stupid, and yes, some of which were directed at her.  She made a post on HER blog and called people out.  And the people she called out got all bent out of shape because they then got to play the VICTIM.  Doesn't work that way.  Own your behavior is what works.  Make snarky comments then anyone anywhere, including the person to whom they refer, has the right to call whoever did it out and loudly at that.  And she did it under her own name, which is a lot braver than posting anonymously, thinking you can get away with anything.  It's been like that from the beginning of this board and it's always been the low side of things here.  And the people who go on and on about it still?  C'mon, seriously.  Just stop.  If you don't want to go don't go, for whatever reasons.  But stop dragging her back into it at every opportunity.  She IS talented and she works for a reason.  The five huffy people here who won't go aren't going to make on whit of difference to anything, so you're not exactly getting back at her.

So, putting all that silliness aside, I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned the one thing that will stop me from seeing this EVER (I wouldn't see it anyway, as I loathed the movie and it's musical numbers - with Let It Go, for me, being just about the worst "classic" song ever written for an animated film - it literally has no ending, it just stops) - and the thing that would stop me from seeing it EVER is the name Rob Ashford.  The End.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#560FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/16/17 at 8:38pm

I'm SO excited for the colorblind casting here- representation is going to be especially important in a show like this with so many kids in the audience. I also agree with adamgreer that the standbys are far more interesting than the stars.

Diversity aside, I strongly second that Patti and Cassie play much too old. While they might be in their 30s, the characters are 19 and 21. I understand that its hard to hire college age actors, but at least cast actors that look and act like theyre the right age. Cassie isn't my first choice for Elsa for other reasons, but I'm okay with her playing Elsa older than 21. However, Patti is completely wrong for it.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#561FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/18/17 at 1:33am

Will definitely be holding out to see Alyssa and Aisha on. Funny how the standby's are more exciting choices than the leads....

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#562FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:48pm

I don't get all the hate for Cassie. I loved her in First Daughter Suite and saw it multiple times - each time she sounded marvelous and that it a difficult score full of high belting. She basically had a 30 minute sing monologue in the third vignette and believe me, she was incredible. 

It's probably just me, but Betsy's voice is like nails on a chalk board. That Last 5 Years album (especially "Summer In Ohio"FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway is unlistenable.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

greenifyme2
#563FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 12:27am

My husband and I were planning to go to Denver sometime soon to check out the city... I somehow convinced him that it would be a great idea for me to go to FROZEN while we are there so I just bought a ticket for September. I don't have a plane ticket or anything else yet but I am so freaking excited!!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#565FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 7:50pm

The little glimpse of the set is very intriguing. Is that like wood paneling sorrounding the proscenium arch? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

neonlightsxo
#566FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 8:04pm

If nothing else, Christopher Oram's sets will be stunning. He's one of the most talented designers working right now, IMO. 

JennH
#567FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 9:48pm

adamgreer said: "AEA AGMA SM said: "Has there been any fuss over the multi-cultural casting of the version that runs at the theme park (I think it's in California Adventure)? If the theme park crowds can handle it I'm sure the Broadway crowds will be equally ok with seeing a cast that's not as lily-white as the movie version.

No, not that I'm aware of. But it's California. Their clientele is very different than the clientele down here at the Florida parks. 

"

Some, but not alot, but it wasn't race specific per se. It was along the lines of a couple things. If the Parks, just the PARKS mind you, are so strict on character integrity on the meet and greet characters then it needs to carry over into the shows as well. Another was that if they would never cast a non Asian as Mulan or a few other roles, then it would stand that it doesn't make sense to do this for this show either, since neither show is about race, it' sabot where they're located, which is true. I have my own complex thoughts on this, but I'm just quoting the rumblings I heard about this. 

And I have to say Oram's designs are already intriguing. 

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#568FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:22pm

Aaaah. I am so excited/scared for this show. I loved the movie from the second it came out and I just really want it to be good for me and everyone else. I hope we hear some rehearsal reports.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#569FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:40pm

I don't see this show being a contender for anything - save for Cassie Levy who I think is a star. I'm curious to see the stage/design. I didn't see much in the pics, but I LOVE design and so curious what they do with this. This is the biggest Disney property in awhile, and I'm so surprised they went with such a dark, moody director. Wonder if Casey was ever asked? 

VintageSnarker
#570FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/20/17 at 4:32am

Maybe it'll be different when they're in costume but right now... eh? Not that casting people who look exactly like the animated cartoons should be the biggest priority but I feel like they barely tried. If you squint really hard and stand across the room, John Riddle bears the closest resemblance to his character. And Caissie's blond. It is going to make money anyway but I hope they've really worked on the story and extra songs because I don't think just seeing this translated to the stage is going to make it interesting like Aladdin or even Beauty and the Beast. I almost wish they'd cast the standbys as the leads and really broken with the original movie so it wouldn't be so easy to invite comparisons. Or cast Betsy Wolfe.

JennH
#571FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:59am

RippedMan said: "I don't see this show being a contender for anything - save for Cassie Levy who I think is a star. I'm curious to see the stage/design. I didn't see much in the pics, but I LOVE design and so curious what they do with this. This is the biggest Disney property in awhile, and I'm so surprised they went with such a dark, moody director. Wonder if Casey was ever asked? 

"

See, after dong research on Grandage, I was thrilled that's the direction they went with. Obviously I'm not sure what Timbers' vision might have been, but I was always worried about how "up and Disney" that the Disney authorities would want this. Disney has alway been known for being completely honest and earnest with how they tell stories, and Casey would not have done that at all, Aladdin being proof. If they were gonna go "tourist trap" and/or "all musical comedy" direction, then yeah hire Casey...I like him, but honesty/earnestness isn't his strong suit. So I really do think Grandage is a pretty damn good choice. And I always envisioned this being more abstract/dark/moody myself, so obviously some bias is there, but that kind of vision will add an extra element/layer to this and keep it from being nothing but a comedy and "cutesy Disney". 

"Maybe it'll be different when they're in costume but right now... eh? Not that casting people who look exactly like the animated cartoons should be the biggest priority but I feel like they barely tried. If you squint really hard and stand across the room, John Riddle bears the closest resemblance to his character. And Caissie's blond. It is going to make money anyway but I hope they've really worked on the story and extra songs because I don't think just seeing this translated to the stage is going to make it interesting like Aladdin or even Beauty and the Beast. I almost wish they'd cast the standbys as the leads and really broken with the original movie so it wouldn't be so easy to invite comparisons. Or cast Betsy Wolfe."

Much agreed. The casting doesn't bother me nearly as much as everything else. It's cast well and I'm sure more interesting choices will come in the future. Now You say break with the mold, but yet you seem fine with Riddle? No shade I'm just curious since Riddle hardly breaks the mold. I think we all can agree Alladin is the biggest mold breaker here, the best part is that it makes perfect sense since Laplanders do/did have a decently large population of people who were very dark skinned. 

As for stage translating? Yeah this isn't one you can just throw on stage and expect it to work, the DCA show proves it. I've always felt this can work on stage, but it needs work. A LOT if it. Even Aladdin could have worked but since that went complete "tourist trap" show, it doesn't, it's far from interesting, but that's me...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#572FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:08am

I agree! I think Grandage is brilliant! Just am surprised by that choice, is all. He has a great eye for visual though, so I'm really curious to see what the show looks like. I just hope they figure out the trolls and hopefully don't make them super cheesy and stupid because the rest of the show is really dark and moody and interesting. But that part just feels like childish Disney.

greenifyme2
#573FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:29am

Agreed, I love the movie overall but the trolls feel so out of place... almost hoping they change that entirely and that awful song they sing.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#574FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:59am

JennH said: "See, after dong research on Grandage, I was thrilled that's the direction they went with. Obviously I'm not sure what Timbers' vision might have been, but I was always worried about how "up and Disney" that the Disney authorities would want this. Disney has alway been known for being completely honest and earnest with how they tell stories, and Casey would not have done that at all, Aladdin being proof. If they were gonna go "tourist trap" and/or "all musical comedy" direction, then yeah hire Casey...I like him, but honesty/earnestness isn't his strong suit."

I think that showed more in Tuck Everlasting as Casey Nicholaw is much more suited towards musical comedy than drama. Of course Aladdin went the musical comedy route because that was Howard Ashman's original vision for the animated film, and the stage was the perfect place for it to end up.

Videos