pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 23

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#550Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:14pm

It'd be unwise to petition Day for lead. Even if Nixon goes featured, she'd still have to leapfrog over Parker, Field, and Janney for that fifth slot (assuming Metcalf, Linney, Ehle, and Blanchett are safe bets.)

PaulWom
#551Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:21pm

So interesting people here are saying the only Comet nominee would be Amber Gray, because everyone I've talked to who sees Great Comet comes out talking about Brittain Ashford and Sonya Alone. Both performers are wonderful, but Brittain's performance is just heartbreaking. Plus, Brittain has been doing the show for all of its productions, 5+ years, so I think the nominators will reward that. But honestly I would be happy with either!

And yes, RBJ was unfairly snubbed for Pippin, so I think the nominators will reward her for that and for her nuanced portrayal this time around... I'm definitely a fan.

ijest22
#552Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:45pm

Kad said: "I have heard the nominators are only considering Linney as lead and Nixon as featured, and are only being accommodated with tickets for those performances.

"

Aren't they both below the Title?  Doesn't that mean that the producers will have to petition (or the Committee act independently) for either of them to compete as lead?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#553Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 6:46pm

I like the Cast Recordong for Dear Evan Hansen but the rabid fangirls and reports of The Who can sob the loudest contests are really making me not want to see the show. It's sold out when I'm in the city in a couple weeks.  Was going to try the lotto but these rabid audiences often ruin the overall experience for me. This happened when I saw Color Purple. "Look at me! This show is affecting me the most!".  No thanks.  A lot of it doesn't feel genuine.  I don't think people are aware of how silly they appear when they behave this way and how it really prevents so many from really being transported by the show itself . 

I don't think DEH is the lock for Best Musical and Actor that people think it is.  I could see The Great Comet or Come from Away (a show I don't really care for but that's just my opinion) taking the win. And I think Karl has a strong chance of winning Best Actor over Platt. It just feels like his time. While I don't think anyone should win an award for pushing through an injury, I can see this tipping voters towards him. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#554Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 6:53pm

I was there last night and I really didn't think the audience reaction was excessive. I saw people quietly wipe away tears, but I've seen that at Fiddler on the Roof, I saw it at Fun Home, Carousel, The Color Purple, basically any musical that has a very emotional subject matter. 

I mean if that sort of reaction annoys you, then don't go see it, but does the audience singing along to "Hello Dolly" or screaming at Bette Midler's entrance annoy you? How about the people who go to Cats in their furry Cat costumes and makeup? It's part of the theatrical experience.

Mildred Plotka
#555Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:03pm

Just my opinion, no need to be nasty. There are people who have honest reactions and then those doing so to get attention. There's no denying that many Broadway shows are littered with these people out to been seen and heard rather than honestly enjoy the show. I don't think many are even aware of it. I'm just noticing it more and more at certain musicals, especially those with a younger demographic. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#556Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:06pm

Mildred Plotka said: And I think Karl has a strong chance of winning Best Actor over Platt. It just feels like his time. While I don't think anyone should win an award for pushing through an injury, I can see this tipping voters towards him. 

Most people, including myself, who've seen Ben Platt's performance think he's a lock to win Best Actor. Pushing through an injury is no comparison to what he's doing in that show. If you had seen it, you would know that.

froote
#557Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:09pm

Mildred Plotka, there's no use expressing an opinion that's even slightly anti-DEH on here. You'll just get told that you're wrong, nothing else has any chance of taking its Tonys etc.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#558Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:13pm

froote said: "Mildred Plotka, there's no use expressing an opinion that's even slightly anti-DEH on here. You'll just get told that you're wrong, nothing else has any chance of taking its Tonys etc.

I will most certainly tell someone who hasn't seen the show what I think of his or her opinion. There's a possibility that DEH won't win Best Musical, but I don't believe for a second that Ben Platt won't win.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#559Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:14pm

Mildred is not incorrect. The second time I saw DEH, there were around 3 older teens/early 20's who seemed to be competing with each other for the most sobs and cheers. 

froote
#560Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:15pm

You don't need to see a show to have an opinion on how likely it is to win awards. 

Mildred Plotka
#561Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:27pm

Cy2nyc, I am  so glad you enjoyed Dear Evan Hansen so much. Always happy when people find theatre they love. But predicting award nominees and winners really has nothing to do with seeing the show. I am glad people are so passionate about this show but, as Fritos noted, anyone who dares to suggest that the show and Platt aren't complete locks get shut down. Is them losing going to ruin the experience you had at the Music Box? I didn't even say anything negative about the show itself and still get your snarky response. There is no denying that the Tonys, like most awards shows, can often be more about politics than the show or performances. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some, not all, voters will lean towards Karl because he's been around for a while and for pushing through a terrible situation. That's showbiz, kid! 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#562Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:27pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Just my opinion, no need to be nasty. There are people who have honest reactions and then those doing so to get attention. There's no denying that many Broadway shows are littered with these people out to been seen and heard rather than honestly enjoy the show. I don't think many are even aware of it. I'm just noticing it more and more at certain musicals, especially those with a younger demographic. 

"DEH isn't Wicked or Aladdin. The audience was very mixed. Middle-aged, elderly, and younger audience members. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#563Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:40pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Cy2nyc, I am  so glad you enjoyed Dear Evan Hansen so much. Always happy when people find theatre they love. But predicting award nominees and winners really has nothing to do with seeing the show. I am glad people are so passionate about this show but, as Fritos noted, anyone who dares to suggest that the show and Platt aren't complete locks get shut down. Is them losing going to ruin the experience you had at the Music Box? I didn't even say anything negative about the show itself and still get your snarky response. There is no denying that the Tonys, like most awards shows, can often be more about politics than the show or performances. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some, not all, voters will lean towards Karl because he's been around for a while and for pushing through a terrible situation. That's showbiz, kid! 

Wow, and you call me snarky. I didn't even mention what I thought of the show itself, but feel free to presume that you know everything about me simply because I think that you're wrong about Ben Platt. 

Mildred Plotka
#564Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:41pm

I'm sure many different kinds of people are seeing DEH. Glad they have such a wide audience. But it's clear that this show is striking a cord with younger audiences. And while I am sure many of them are quite respectful, there are always several who have reactions that seem less about responding to the show and more about them being noticed. I am glad you didn't seem to have any at your performance but there have been multiple reports of other performances where some audience members went a bit overboard. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#565Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:47pm

Mildred Plotka said: "I'm sure many different kinds of people are seeing DEH. Glad they have such a wide audience. But it's clear that this show is striking a cord with younger audiences. And while I am sure many of them are quite respectful, there are always several who have reactions that seem less about responding to the show and more about them being noticed. I am glad you didn't seem to have any at your performance but there have been multiple reports of other performances where some audience members went a bit overboard. 

"

Yeah but that means you don't want to see a musical? Because you heard "multiple reports" of audiences went overboard? Okay, makes sense.

ijest22
#566Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:49pm

Mildred Plotka said: "I'm sure many different kinds of people are seeing DEH. Glad they have such a wide audience. But it's clear that this show is striking a cord with younger audiences. And while I am sure many of them are quite respectful, there are always several who have reactions that seem less about responding to the show and more about them being noticed. I am glad you didn't seem to have any at your performance but there have been multiple reports of other performances where some audience members went a bit overboard. 

"

The audience was very respectful when I went 2 weeks ago, and if you're a musical theater fan, you really should check it out. Even if he fans do get out of hand, I think the show will still shine through. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#567Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:09pm

I've enjoyed this show so much more than the music.  If I were to try and turn on friends I would show them the Cynthia Erivo track.  I still liked it better than Comet, maybe just simple minds.

Stephanatic

ViniFromBrazil
#568Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:25pm

This "DEH is untouchable no one can say it's not winning the Tony" versus "DEH is the obvious frontrunner no other show is close" is getting really annoying...

MadsonMelo
#569Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:48pm

Its funny but I still have Parker in my slots and Blanchett out, do you guys think Blanchett will get in?

Field is a non-starter, Ehle é my 5th.

Janney, Linney and Metcalf are my top 3.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#570Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:51pm

Parker better get a nomination. She delivered one of my favorite play performances ever. 

I'm guessing Janney, Linney, Metcalf, and Parker as "locks" with the fifth spot up for grabs (Blanchett, Field, or Ehle)...

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#571Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:11pm

Who's Parker?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#572Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:12pm

Butter Broadway said: "Who's Parker?"

Mary-Louise Parker, of Heisenberg this season. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#573Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:18pm

Oh I forgot about that show. I think Metcalf, Blanchette, and Ehle are in. Janney and Parker will get the last spots. Field and Linney I think will be out.

I'mHere79
#574Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:33pm

Wondering whether there is an outside chance for a couple additional supporting actor/actress nominations for Come From Away, and if so who in the ensemble could be named (after Jenn):

Chad Kimball, Joel Hatch, Astrid Van Wieren?

Videos