#575SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 2:13am

Oops, double post

Updated On: 2/28/12 at 02:13 AM

wafflehouse2005 Profile Photo
wafflehouse2005
#576SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 3:00am

What kind of points were being traded between Nick Jonas and Angelica Houston for the painting?

bk
#577SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 3:53am

"and THIS is the episode that critics say gets the ball rolling?"

I don't think the "critics" said it - I think the producers and NBC said it, after seeing the ratings keep plummeting, this was their way of saying "Okay, so you haven't loved it yet, but now we've got it right." All nonsense of course. The show is the show and while the Spielberg name and NBC's complete inability to make a good show might keep it on for a second season (as they did with Spielberg's awful Amazing Stories), it won't go beyond that, unless they just want yet another loss leader.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#578SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 5:44am

It might have been 'better' than previous epidsodes, but that was NOT good.

So now, let's recap:

NOW, Ivy is a witch that can't tolerate that the person she BEAT for the lead role got cast in the ensemble? And this bothers her so much she wants her kicked out? AND it works?

The entire ensemble hates her because she 'almost' got the part and because Ivy says so? Or just because she's good?

Why is KAREN acting like such a baby? She's has a job for goodness sake -- certainly even a hick from Iowa knows how lucky she is.

Huston's character will stoop at nothing to get the money to produce her show? (Points are the return on Jonas' investment)

I HATED the party scene - I could see the performance...but really, backup choeography? That they all just happen to know and can execute? And the waiters dancing? They'd be fired.

Get rid of Tom's assistant-- its stupid and the conflict between him and Messing's character is just juvenile.

At least we figured out that Messing is writing the book as well as the lyrics.

To those that can't believe some of us don't like it, it's the same as when we don't like a b'way show. We want for it to be wonderful and for it show the wonder that is b'way. It's not doing either. It's simnply making a cheesey nighttime drama with the backdrop of a b'way production. Kind of like how awful the film Titanic was.

Will I watch next week? Likely -- but not because I'm invested in the show, but because I don't watch anything else in that time slot. But the tide better turn.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#579SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 6:42am

I can't comment too much, as I only saw about 10 minutes of the show because the Cab Calloway documentary on PBS (American Masters) was much more interesting. It didn't seem like much was happening in the show, though, and it caught my interest only in the sense of--Hey, there's Ann Harada! Hey, there's Wesley Taylor! Hey, there's Nick Jonas doing a tepid cover of a Michael Buble song. And Hey, didn't Glee do Rumour Has It a few weeks ago?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

random person 112
#580SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 6:46am

The entire ensemble hates her because she 'almost' got the part and because Ivy says so? Or just because she's good?

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=23&thread=1040522&boardid=1#ixzz1nfyfVkka

The show implied that most of them were Ivys friends too, two were even the friends we saw her with in the pilot and the third episode. So of course if someone causes your friend grief you aren't going to be too welcoming towards them. Her inability to blend could also cause more than a little frustration but hey that's just me.

They built up a bit to Ivys hatred last episode in that she's scared she only got the part because she slept with Derek, So when the other girls back, and making her presence known as much as she is that is very troubling.

Anjelica Houston has to stop at nothing otherwise soon she won't have her money or her career she's heavily invested in this project getting off the ground.

Updated On: 2/28/12 at 06:46 AM

massofmen
#581SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 9:23am

dramamama, you could also read a book instead of watching tv at 10pm. you know you dont have to watch tv...

SporkGoddess
#582SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 9:33am

I liked it but I can't analyze the show too much. But it's not like Glee where the plot holes/mistakes just constantly leap out at me and I can't ignore them.

I think the next episode looks awesome, so I am excited.

Btw, I do agree that if they wanted us to think that Karen is the Next Big Thing who is Even Better than Broadway Veterans, they should not have cast Kat McPhee. Her dancing was a mess.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#583SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 10:02am

Vulture's Review is up. Hysterical as ever.

Vulture's Blog- Ep 4 The Cost of Art

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#584SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 10:10am

concerning Wesley's "overdoing it" - the directors and producers are ok with what he's doing, in fact that's now he's being directed, so don't blame him.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#585SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 10:42am

How have people gotten to episode 4 still hoping that there'll be any semblence of reality or truth?? It's trashy, pulpy fun. Let go and let God, bitches!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#586SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 10:45am

I'm looking forward to a good ole fashion hair-pulling, nipple- pinching girl fight between McPhee and Hilty where they fall into the fountain at Lincoln Center.

I think the show is fun.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#587SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 11:05am

People were actually expecting a gritty realistic drama?

beautywickedlover
#588SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 12:00pm

Good news for the show. Ratings were up 4% from last week.

TV Ratings Monday: 'Daytona 500' Burns CBS & 'The Voice', But 'Castle,' 'Smash' & 'The Bachelor' Rise Updated On: 2/28/12 at 12:00 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#589SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 12:02pm

Smash rose 4% to a 2.4 adults 18-49, vs. a 2.3 rating last week.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

beautywickedlover
#590SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 12:10pm

I am glad that there was not another ratings and viewership drop like the last two weeks, and it's great that both things increased. When the final numbers are posted, there's a chance that its 18-49 rating could be adjusted even more.

And for those still skeptical about the show I really do think she should at least watch next week's episode. It really looks like that is when the show's ture potential and drama are shown.

beautywickedlover
#591SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 3:57pm

Sorry for double posting, but TV By Numbers is saying that if last night was any indication of the show's ratings leveling off, then the show is more likely to renewed than cancelled.

NBC: 'Are You There, Chelsea?' Likely To Be Canceled, But, So Far, Not 'Whitney'

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#592SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 4:06pm

That article doesn't seem to take into account though the cost of producing SMASH which has got to be more than the average series. I think the series will definitely play out its season, but viewership will have to increase for them to spring for a second season given its per episode budget.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#593SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 4:26pm

Michael Bennett, you bring up a really good point about that production cost for the show. Let's say that it does get picked up again, do you think there is chance that it could be a show that only plays for the 2nd half of the season. This could be a chance for a network to follow the model of cable shows fewer episodes, but better production values.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#594SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 4:44pm

How have people gotten to episode 4 still hoping that there'll be any semblence of reality or truth?? It's trashy, pulpy fun. Let go and let God, bitches!

Seriously. If anyone can accept Jack Davenport being saddled with the most cliched character imaginable, then they pretty much need to accept any old-school stereotypical melodramatic nonsense. Sort of like saying, "I love everything about the script except how it's written."

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

beautywickedlover
#595SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 4:59pm

I know I brought this up last week and I want to breiefly bring up again. Michael Bennett, judging by what you said, it seems that 'Smash' definetley has a larger budget than 'Parenthood', which is a one hour comedy-drama on NBC that has never been big with ratings but is still on the air.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#596SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 5:06pm

Well, NBC has made a big investment in SMASH's first season; but no, I can't imagine any network, struggling or not, would renew a series with lackluster ratings (and limited prestige/awards potential) that costs double what a simple situation comedy does.

In other words, if the ratings don't justify the added expense of doing a big budget musical television series, NBC isn't going to invest in a second season to keep it going. The numbers will definitely have to pick up for the show to be renewed next year.

gypsy4
#597SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 5:16pm

Loved the episode and absolutely loved Wesley Taylor!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#598SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 8:56pm

I also enjoyed this episode quite a lot. The show is cheesy and trashy sure but this episode was actually fun and dramatic..the last two episodes were just boring.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#599SMASH
Posted: 2/28/12 at 9:27pm

Michael Bennett Tvbythenumbers takes in to account everything, it's one of the top TV ratings sites around and is 99 percent of the time right with its renew/cancel ratio. What you also have to remember that for NBC Smash is doing fine for them. The network barely manages to get its non reality shows above a 2.0 demo, If Smash levels off now and stays where it is it makes more financial sense for them to stick with a series then scrap it and start again with a new pilot. Each network wants to keep shows on the air to get to the 88 episodes so it can be sold in to syndication, NBC more than anybody needs that to happen.

NBC Most talked about and popular non reality shows like 30 Rock barely get a 1.7 demo.

PS Smash was adjusted down this week to a 2.3 in the final ratings meaning it stayed even with last week. With a far stronger episode this week i expect it to level off now.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Videos