pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 26

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

eugenia2
#625Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 10:35pm

froote said: "I could see a world in which CFA and DEH split the votes for the emotional, pulling on your heartstrings shows and Comet came through the middle for being the innovative, landmark artistic achievement.

agree. and would love to see this happen! 

"

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#626Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 11:28pm

Precisely, and that's why I strongly believe Great Comet deserves Best Musical.

Dear Evan Hansen and Come from Away are, of course, wonderful shows. But in my eyes, Great Comet represents the future of what musical theatre can achieve. It's dynamic, innovative, new. It isn't avant-garde for the simple sake of being avant-garde. It's ambitious and is tremendously successful in what it accomplishes. That, to me, makes it this season's "Best Musical."

I hope the Tony voters will recognize this.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#627Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/23/17 at 11:12pm

Can Bette Midler and company break the ‘Hello, Dolly!’ Tony Awards curse?

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/bette-midler-hello-dolly-tony-awards-predictions-news-135790864/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

evic
#628Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:50am

Dolly- 8 noms

Comet-8 noms

Hansen-6 noms

CFA-6 noms

War paint- 5 noms

Bronx-4 noms

Anastasia-4 noms

Groundhog-4 noms

Sunset- 4 noms

Saigon-3 noms

Bandstand-3 noms

Holiday Inn-2 noms

Charlie-1 nom

Amelie-1 nom

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#629Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:50am

I finally got around to seeing Sunset Blvd and I was blown away!  I think this is the sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical - especially since Glen won't be up for Best Actress. 

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 09:50 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#630Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:53am

I'm hoping both Saigon and Sunset somehow get in with nominations for Revival. They're both deserving in their own rights, IMO.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#631Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:11am

Daddy Warbucks said: "I finally got around to seeing Sunset Blvd and I was blown away!  I think this is the sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical - especially since Glen won't be up for Best Actress. 

"

I've wondered if Tony voters might feel similarly and pass on giving it to Hello Dolly as best revival giving Bette that award, but giving it to Sunset since this one has been billed as GLENN CLOSE IN SUNSET BOULEVARD (rather than Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard as it was in the original)

bear88
#632Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:49am

I feel pretty safe with my prediction of Hello, Dolly as Best Revival of a Musical.

I think that, along with Best Actress (Midler) and Best Set Design (Great Comet) are locks. I can imagine upsets in other categories, but not those.

BobbyD3
#633Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:20pm

I thought Sunset Blvd and Great Comet were the two most insufferable things I have sat through this year.  The thought of them winning their respective Tony categories gives me palpitations.  

Great Comet should (and will) win set, and I would be happy if it won lighting.  The performances (outside of Groban) were dreadful.  The music was forgettable.  The plot was unintelligible.  (Why would you champion a plot that needs program notes and charts to be understood?) I get that it was a new way to produce theatre, but, goodness...

As for Sunset, I may be in the minority but I kept wondering if I should laugh at every scene.  I kept wondering if Kate Mackinnon should replace Glenn Close when she left the production.  

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#634Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:31pm

I mean, for whatever it's worth, Les Mis has always had a plot synopsis in the playbill, and this season alone Oslo has a long list of the characters and where they're from along with a more detailed explainer in the program. Comet is far from the first show with any of that (and personally I really don't think it's that hard to follow). 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

evic
#635Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:50pm

Bobbyd3- we should be friends....I escaped Comet after the first Act and agree about Sunset- laughable and a big bore.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#636Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:19pm

BobbyD3 said: "I thought Sunset Blvd and Great Comet were the two most insufferable things I have sat through this year.  The thought of them winning their respective Tony categories gives me palpitations.  

Great Comet should (and will) win set, and I would be happy if it won lighting.  The performances (outside of Groban) were dreadful.  The music was forgettable.  The plot was unintelligible.  (Why would you champion a plot that needs program notes and charts to be understood?) I get that it was a new way to produce theatre, but, goodness...

As for Sunset, I may be in the minority but I kept wondering if I should laugh at every scene.  I kept wondering if Kate Mackinnon should replace Glenn Close when she left the production.  

"

Well I suppose different strokes...  I can't listen to more than 30 seconds of anything from Hello Dolly without being bored so...

Jarethan
#637Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:20pm

Robbie2 said: "Can Bette Midler and company break the ‘Hello, Dolly!’ Tony Awards curse?

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/bette-midler-hello-dolly-tony-awards-predictions-news-135790864/

It wasn't a curse.  I saw all three revivals and enjoyed all three, but...

The Channing revivals were essentially the same as the original Broadway version (if the sets were slightly more austere, I don't remember), but truthfully had the feeling of the last stop on a bus-and-truck tour.  They were entertaining, but lacked energy.  There was no reason to nominate anyone in the case, which were all that would have been eligible (or should have been eligible).  If Eddie Bracken was nominated, I will venture to guess that it was a loss season for musicals and that they were stretching.  He was fine, but nothing special.

I remember the Pearl Bailey version being more energetic, but it was still not a new production...just the same old same old.

I don't see Dolly for another month, but am already delighted to see that the sets are different (of what I have seen, the Harmonia Gardens stairs look much 'richer' than the original production, which projected no 'elegance'.  (Despite that, I still think that was probably the best single production number that I have ever seen).

Bottom line: No true revival, No curse.  

"

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#638Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:30pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I'm hoping both Saigon and Sunset somehow get in with nominations for Revival. They're both deserving in their own rights, IMO.

"I think Saigon should be a close second to Dolly. I thought Sunset would have been horrible without Glenn Close.

suzieprush
#639Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:33pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Precisely, and that's why I strongly believe Great Comet deserves Best Musical.

Dear Evan Hansen and Come from Away are, of course, wonderful shows. But in my eyes, Great Comet represents the future of what musical theatre can achieve. It's dynamic, innovative, new. It isn't avant-garde for the simple sake of being avant-garde. It's ambitious and is tremendously successful in what it accomplishes. That, to me, makes it this season's "Best Musical."

I hope the Tony voters will recognize this.

"

YES TO ALL OF THIS. I agree it will be a tough draw between Comet, DEH, and Come from Away, but I firmly believe Comet deserves the win. It's ambitious but doesn't throw everything else out the window. I do not understand the backlash saying the storyline is nothing. The plot is beautiful and is a story that has been loved since the 19th century in arguably one of the most classical books in all of literature.  It is a story that defies time, and I think Comet proves that point by their contemporary take.  I think the wins will go as follows

Best Musical: Great Comet

Best Revival of a Musical: Hello, Dolly!

Best Leading Actor in a Musical: Ben Platt 

Best Leading Actress in a Musical: Bette Midler 

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Lucas Steele 

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Rachel Bay Jones

Best Book of a Musical: Come From Away

Best Original Score: Great Comet

Best Orchestrations: Great Comet

Best Direction: Great Comet

Best Lighting Design: Great Comet

Best Scenic Design in a Musical: Great Comet

deltatee Profile Photo
deltatee
#640Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:42pm

I would love to see the Great Comet win, but if I had to put my money where my mouth is, I would bet on Come From Away.  It is a really great and timely ensemble piece that did really cool things with its book. 

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#641Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:06pm

Is Jon Jon Briones up for Featured or Leading role?

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#642Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:11pm

Historically the Engineer has been considered Leading, iirc.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#643Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:18am

War Paint Musical Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VCg0Kv2ypo

I Predict: 3 nominations

Patti

Christine

Costumes

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#644Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 2:04am

evic, care to tell us what your predictions are?

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#645Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 7:18am

Does anyone think War Paint has a chance at a scenic design nom?

curel1
#646Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:34am

Outer Critics noms are out. Will these have an impact on what gets Tony nominated?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#647Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:36am

Another Winter said: "Does anyone think War Paint has a chance at a scenic design nom?"

Well theoretically it has a chance at a nomination in every category for which it is eligible. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#648Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:39am

curel1 said: "Outer Critics noms are out. Will these have an impact on what gets Tony nominated?"

Unlikely- the OCC has a different nominating pool and can also nominate off-Broadway. Dear Evan Hansen and The Great Comet were also ineligible (except for a few of Comet's tech elements because of the new theatre) and that isn't the case for the Tonys. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#649Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:41am

The Tonys can't really be predicted by the behavior of the other theatre awards. Unlike the Academy Awards' precursors, the other theatre awards aren't generally made up of blocs of Tony nominators or voters and also have wildly divergent rules. Also, productions that are contenders for major Tonys are often transfers of earlier off-Broadway productions, meaning they are ineligible for reconsideration by the OCC or Drama Desks or whatever.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/25/17 at 11:41 AM

Videos