pixeltracker

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY- Page 26

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY

MNNiceorIce Profile Photo
MNNiceorIce
#625Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 12:02am

And now it appears that Brittany Mack won’t be in the St. Paul production at all either. No Abby and no Brittany. Glad they are resting up for BW but...sheesh. Strange that the Ordway made an announcement about Abby but not Brittany...

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#626Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 3:06am

QueenTwinnied said: "Interesting to note that Courtney wore the Boleyn costume. It's very possible each alternate is getting a set of costumes for the role they cover."

I thought the same as well when I saw the pictures but a day or two after, the costume designer posted an IG pic with a description as "Alternate fittings" with what looked like a new, orange, alt costume and the Ordway was the tagged location.

I think consistency in costumes is something they should 100% invest in for Broadway.

RagzJr
#627Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 9:18am

While I understand the thinking behind the alternates having their own costumes (identity is a theme in the piece, of course), and it's fun to see different costumes, I agree that constancy is not just a good thing, it's useful and helpful to the piece.  

Also... side note... I wonder when we'll get a Broadway cast recording... I realize the West End gals didn't get one, but it would be a travesty if the Broadway gals didn't, either.  

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#628Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 10:18am

Well good for them. While I do feel for the St Paul people that wanted to see Brittany and Abby the show is still amazingly fun with the alternates. I am so happy that they are adding another alternate, I think they are getting to understand the amount of work these girls do around being in the actual show and they need a break. 

RWPrincess
#629Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 11:35am

RagzJr said: "While I understand the thinking behind the alternates having their own costumes (identity is a theme in the piece, of course), and it's fun to see different costumes, I agree that constancy is not just a good thing, it's useful and helpful to the piece.

Also... side note... I wonder when we'll get a Broadway cast recording... I realize the West End gals didn't get one, but it would be a travesty if the Broadway gals didn't, either.
"

Which cast is on the Studio Cast Recording that's available on iTunes? They were also selling the CDs in Chicago. I thought it was the West End cast though I agree a Broadway recording would be great.

MNNiceorIce
#630Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 12:13pm

Just to be clear, I do not begrudge the two queens taking time off if they are injured because they have been going non-stop since this summer.  I'm just being totally selfish in wanting to have seen them again before BW...how un-Minnesotan of me :)  Thankfully, the entire cast, including alternates, are top-notch so whatever combo is onstage is well-worth it.  I'm actually grateful to have seen all the alternates plus the original cast pre-Broadway.  I know locals have been a bit irked about there being "understudies" but the ladies are credited as alternates, so I consider it just like a Christine or a Kim ala 'at certain performances' kind of thing.  

metropolis10111
#631Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 12:15pm

RWPrincess said: "
Which cast is on the Studio Cast Recording that's available on iTunes? They were also selling the CDs in Chicago. I thought it was the West End cast though I agree a Broadway recording would be great.

"

It was just a studio cast and I don't believe all them ever performed the full show together on stage. Natalie Paris is still in as Jane but I don't believe anyone else from the studio cast is still in the show.  As much as I would LOVE a broadway cast recording there tends to be a bit of a Queendom fan rivalry between the US and the UK casts so I think them just keeping the Studio Cast as a way not locking down one production as THE production is rather smart. Actually I was blown away by the Australian Queens 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMulqY0Ya0 

hamiltonstradition
#632Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 9:11pm

metropolis10111 said: "RWPrincess said: "

"

It was just a studio cast and I don't believe all them ever performed the full show together on stage.Natalie Paris is still in as Jane but I don't believe anyone else from the studio cast is still in the show. As much as I would LOVE a broadway cast recording there tends to be a bit of a Queendom fanrivalry between the US and the UK casts so I think them just keeping the Studio Cast as a way not locking down one production as THE production is rather smart. Actually I was blown away by the Australian Queens

"

The Studio Recording is the original off-west end cast from 2017/2018.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#633Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 10:42pm

metropolis10111 said: "RWPrincess said: "

"

It was just a studio cast and I don't believe all them ever performed the full show together on stage.Natalie Paris is still in as Jane but I don't believe anyone else from the studio cast is still in the show. As much as I would LOVE a broadway cast recording there tends to be a bit of a Queendom fanrivalry between the US and the UK casts so I think them just keeping the Studio Cast as a way not locking down one production as THE production is rather smart. Actually I was blown away by the Australian Queens

"

Natalie Paris and Aimie Atkinson (Katherine Howard up until October I believe) are on the studio cast recording. I know Renee Lamb stepped in as Aragon a couple times on the initial tour, and Genesis Lynea has stepped in as Cleves as recently as a few months ago. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#634Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/19 at 10:42pm

metropolis10111 said: "As much as I would LOVE a broadway cast recording there tends to be a bit of a Queendom fanrivalry between the US and the UK casts so I think them just keeping the Studio Cast as a way not locking down one production as THE production is rather smart. Actually I was blown away by the Australian Queens

"

And see, I have the exact opposite reaction to the Australian Queens in this recording. Don't get me wrong, vocals are fine but there is like NO personality to any of them. They all sound like the exact same person. Like I let this play in a tab and didn't watch the video and it sounds like one person that wants to cover the song but can't find 5 other friends to record it with her so she did it all herself and put on 6 different voices. I also don't think that the sound mixing itself it pretty odd.

I don't think the "fanrivalry" will factor at all into getting a Broadway Cast Recording.... which WILL happen. There is no if it will happen. It's a when. This is gonna be a hit and they will want to capitalize on it as hard and as fast as they can and that includes giving the show it's own recording with the full nine yards of a CD release with signings. A vinyl version. All that stuff that is the new kinda trend of the day for cast recordings in New York.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#635Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:33am

Is there still really not a single discount code for this? Seems odd.

Impossible2
#636Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:10am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Is there still really not a single discount code for this? Seems odd."

Last time I looked it's only well sold the first week or so.

No doubt it'll be on TKTS from week 3 x

metropolis10111
#637Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:01am

You are right I had forgotten Genesis had done Cleves on stage, somehow I only thought she was ever on the album. 

I loved the harmonies of the AU Queens and having seen the US Queens grow I can only imagine how they will get better. 

I would adore a US cast release but we shall see. 

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#638Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:38am

I would love to see this show pull a "Hamilton Mixtape" instead of a B'way cast album. You could include a recording of the new song(s) incl. Megasix by the Original B'way Cast and fill out the EP with remixes and perhaps cover versions of some of the songs, maybe even get a reasonably famous pop star or two to join up. Personally, I'd kill to hear Britney do All You Wanna Do, even though that may be just a bit too on the nose and out of budget.

In all honesty, the studio album sounds better than the show itself because it is produced as a pop album and truly works sonically when played alongside current pop tracks. It also has effects that are popular in pop music that are sadly lacking from the live performance. Unless it were a LIVE recording (which also would be a fun way to do a cast album), I'm afraid the songs would come off more B'way than pop, as they do in the theatre. That's fine, but I really love those fully pop orchestrations on the studio recording.

metropolis10111
#639Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:13pm

greensgreens said: "I would love to see this show pull a "Hamilton Mixtape" instead of a B'way cast album. You could include a recording of the new song(s) incl. Megasix by the Original B'way Cast and fill out the EP with remixes and perhaps cover versions of some of the songs, maybe even get a reasonably famous pop star or two to join up. Personally, I'd kill to hear Britney do All You Wanna Do, even though that may be just a bit too on the nose and out of budget.

In all honesty, the studio album sounds better than the show itself because it is produced as a pop album and truly works sonically when played alongsidecurrent pop tracks. It also has effects that are popular in pop music that are sadly lacking from the live performance. Unless it were a LIVE recording (which also would be a fun way to do a cast album), I'm afraid the songs would come off more B'way than pop, as they do in the theatre. That's fine, but I really love those fully pop orchestrations on the studio recording.
"

I agree so much. The album is produced to the hilt because it was meant to be able to be played like that and I think lead to it's streaming success. I Mix Tape would be an amazing way to go with it. I'd buy a purple vinyl of it 

MNNiceorIce
#640Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/13/19 at 1:58am

They've added another alternate to cover Cleves in St. Paul while Mack is out on leave, Shantel Cribbs.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#641Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/13/19 at 10:57am

In all honesty, the studio album sounds better than the show itself because it is produced as a pop album and truly works sonically when played alongside current pop tracks. It also has effects that are popular in pop music that are sadly lacking from the live performance. Unless it were a LIVE recording (which also would be a fun way to do a cast album), I'm afraid the songs would come off more B'way than pop, as they do in the theatre. That's fine, but I really love those fully pop orchestrations on the studio recording.

My preference for the Broadway cast would be a live recording of the full show.  The energy of the audience is what sets the show on fire.  But considering there already is a pop-styled studio recording of the score, I don't think it would make much sense to do the same thing again with the Broadway cast.  Either a standard cast recording or a live recording for the Broadway cast would be best and offer more variety to the recordings of the show itself.  And I've always said that I think a recording of the songs by the pop stars that inspired the material would be MASSIVE hit.  Wait a year or so after the release of the Broadway cast recording and the producers of the pop album will make serious bank.  Hell, I'd invest in it if I could.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

QueenTwinnied
#642Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/13/19 at 8:12pm

MNNiceorIce said: "They've added another alternate to cover Cleves in St. Paul while Mack is out on leave, Shantel Cribbs."

Six really needs to figure out a better alternate system. Earlier this week Collette Guitart (a London swing) had to emergency cover Aragon for the tour. Then tonight Maiya Quansah-Breed (former London cast member) served as emergency Parr cover on tour because every alternate was in the show. If the show causes this many illnesses and/or injuries, there really needs to be a greater number of alternates. 

Sampatches
#643Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/13/19 at 8:18pm

QueenTwinnied said: "MNNiceorIce said: "They've added another alternate to cover Cleves in St. Paul while Mack is out on leave, Shantel Cribbs."

Six really needs to figure out a better alternate system. Earlier this week Collette Guitart (a London swing) had to emergency cover Aragon for the tour. Then tonight Maiya Quansah-Breed (former London cast member) served as emergency Parr cover on tour because every alternate was in the show. If the show causes this many illnesses and/or injuries, there really needs to be a greater number of alternates.
"

It appears there are going to be potentially 4 covers for the Broadway version. That’s over half of the cast and should be plenty. Most large musicals (example Cher Show and Aladdin) only have 2-4 swings for an ensemble of around 15-20.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#644Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/13/19 at 11:20pm

I returned to catch up with the queens tonight and now the show is finally hitting its stride. Tonight's performance seemed really energetic - all of the queens did riffs I had not heard before. They've definitely been doing lots of fine tuning while in St. Paul and it is definitely ready for Broadway. Jokes were tightened, a few added. Some of the costumes seemed crisper and slightly redesigned. The queens were so ferocious tonight and really seemed to have found the pacing and all the beats and the show just clips right along. Oddly, tonight there was no (awkward) applause after All You Wanna Do which was appropriate (especially as Howard was really giving us everything), but it was a marked change from past viewings.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#645Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/14/19 at 7:34am

Did you happen to notice actual run time?

Shortness of the show was our only problem with it, clocking in at just under 70 minutes in Cambridge

Impossible2
#646Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/14/19 at 8:44am

Wee Thomas2 said: "Did you happen to notice actual run time?

Shortness of the show was our only problem with it, clocking in at just under 70 minutes in Cambridge
"

The run time is not going to change.

I have seen it 7 times and it has never once hit under 80 minutes, so I don't know where this continual 70 minute thing is coming from. The runtime ends AFTER the girls have left the stage after the encore, not at the end of their stories.

Or maybe people just clap longer in London...

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#647Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/19 at 7:14am

Impossible2 said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Did you happen to notice actual run time?

"

I have seen it 7 times and it has never once hit under 80minutes, so I don't know where this continual 70 minute thing is coming from. The runtime ends AFTER the girls have left the stage after the encore, not at the end of their stories.

"

At our showing in Cambridge I checked lights down to lights up and stage clear.  68 minutes.  Friend who was there a week later confirmed under 70 minute runtime.

I assure you, we stayed because we were expecting 75 minutes and thought there might be some sort of additional material after the lights went up, but there was not.

Impossible2
#648Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/19 at 10:22am

Wee Thomas2 said: "Impossible2 said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Did you happen to notice actual run time?

"

I have seen it 7 times and it has never once hit under 80minutes, so I don't know where this continual 70 minute thing is coming from. The runtime ends AFTER the girls have left the stage after the encore, not at the end of their stories.

"

At our showing in Cambridge I checked lights down to lights up and stage clear. 68 minutes. Friend who was there a week later confirmed under 70 minute runtime.

I assure you, we stayed because we were expecting 75 minutes and thought there might be some sort of additional material after the lights went up, but there was not.

"

Someone needs to tell them to talk slower....

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#649Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/19 at 11:23am

Oddly, tonight there was no (awkward) applause after All You Wanna Do which was appropriate (especially as Howard was really giving us everything), but it was a marked change from past viewings.

That's exactly how it was the 2 times I saw Samantha Pauly in Chicago.  The 2 times I saw Courtney Mack, she didn't play the end of the song with as much intensity, always resulting in applause at the end.  Either way, the song is such a departure from the rest, there will always be the possibility of the awkward nervous applause from those who simply want to applaud out of habit.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos