pixeltracker

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY- Page 27

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY

Impossible2
#650Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/19 at 12:23pm

Mister Matt said: "Oddly, tonight there was no (awkward) applause after All You Wanna Do which was appropriate (especially as Howard was really giving us everything), but it was a marked change from past viewings.

That's exactly how it was the 2 times I saw Samantha Pauly in Chicago. The 2 times I saw Courtney Mack, she didn't play the end of the song with as much intensity, always resulting in applause at the end. Either way, the song is such a departure from the rest, there will always be the possibility of the awkward nervous applause from those who simply want to applaud out of habit.
"

The first 2 times I saw the show in London it was not played that way at all and you didn't really 'get' the seriousness of what happened and it got the same response all the other queens got. The 3rd time I was quite shocked how far they took it, but it still got a huge reaction. The 4th time, they really took it to the extreme and not a single person in the theatre clapped. It was embarrassing and uncomfortable if you had seen the show before. But they've kept it that way for a while now and sometimes it gets a response and sometimes it doesn't depending on the crowd.

I also think because of the way the song ends it isn't really clear unless you've seen the show or know it from the soundtrack that the song is actually over. They also seem to bring on the incoming joke quicker if there is no/little applause so it isn't as awkward as that line always gets a huge reaction.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#651Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/19 at 5:10pm

Impossible2 said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Did you happen to notice actual run time?

Shortness of the show was our only problem with it, clocking in at just under 70 minutes in Cambridge
"

The run time is not going to change.

I have seen it 7 times and it has never once hit under 80minutes, so I don't know where this continual 70 minute thing is coming from. The runtime ends AFTER the girls have left the stage after the encore, not at the end of their stories.

Or maybe people just clap longer in London...
"

20 minute pre-show tech hold aside, my performance in Cambridge clocked a solid 80 minutes. I was surprised how late it was when we got out (knowing that the show had started around 2:20).

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

MNNiceorIce Profile Photo
MNNiceorIce
#652Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:43am

So...now this has wrapped up its pre-Broadway run in St. Paul with alternates on for two queens the entire run (one, Abby Mueller, formally announced, one, Brittany Mack, not), any thoughts that there could be casting shifts before Broadway previews start?

Seemed the St. Paul cast solidified their show/music/personalities into a tight knit group...nary a mention of either absent queen in any of their “ready for Broadway” posts, etc these last five or so weeks. Just interesting...

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#653Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/24/19 at 7:56am

MNNiceorIce said: "So...now this has wrapped up its pre-Broadway run in St. Paul with alternates on for two queens the entire run (one, Abby Mueller, formally announced, one, Brittany Mack, not), any thoughts that there could be casting shifts before Broadway previews start?

Seemed the St. Paul cast solidified their show/music/personalities into a tight knit group...nary a mention of either absent queen in any of their “ready for Broadway” posts, etc these last five or so weeks. Just interesting...
"

Well on Nicole’s most recent post, she said she can’t wait for Abby and Brittney to be back 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6a4PAGHOGe/?igshid=14bhdvoa0ki8d

MNNiceorIce
#654Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:34pm

I stand corrected! Onward to Broadway :)

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#655Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/24/19 at 5:08pm

Not to mention that while she was not in the show, I did see a number of social media posts with Brittney hanging with the other queens off stage towards the end. Mainly in some IG stories. It looked like in the last week of the run or so, she was there in town but just not performing.

MNNiceorIce
#656Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/26/19 at 6:10pm

Really? I thought that was their new alternate, Shantel Cribbs.

Scarlet Leigh
#657Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/26/19 at 9:08pm

I have yet to see any pictures of Shantel so maybe it was her? It was in some not in costume pictures from the last week of the show on one of the girls IG stories but if it was Shantel and not Brittney, they look like they could be twins.

This is why IG stories are HARD. You can't reference what you saw to confirm what you think your mind saw after the fact unless the archive them. Lol.

magictodo123
#658Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/31/19 at 7:57am

Since my favorite show is closing this weekend I'm trying to decide if I should get tickets to this...yay or nay?

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#659Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/31/19 at 3:12pm

magictodo123 said: "Since my favorite show is closing this weekend I'm trying to decide if I should get tickets to this...yay or nay?"

oh my gods YEA!

Impossible2
#660Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 12/31/19 at 4:50pm

magictodo123 said: "Since my favorite show is closing this weekend I'm trying to decide if I should get tickets to this...yay or nay?"

Yes...a million times yes!

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#661Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:08am

Huge billboard now up in Times Square. Walked by it on my way to work this morning and couldn't stop smiling. 

I'm really hoping that we get a new cast recording - Abby's "Heart of Stone" and Adrianna's "No Way" are ****iing fire. I would also love if they formally recorded the MegaSix 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

MNNiceorIce
#662Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 1:14am

I like the tweaked image of the Queens. Looks great!

Kea4
#663Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/15/20 at 4:34pm

The marquis is up! There are pictures on Six Broadway's Instagram.

YvanEhtNioj
#664Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/15/20 at 4:45pm

So excited!

Updated On: 1/29/20 at 04:45 PM

YvanEhtNioj
#665Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/29/20 at 10:10pm

Soo.. this is a Video from BroadwayCon. This is the second time I’ve seen a clip of them performing Ex Wives (This being the first). Each time, it sounds like they’re SCREAMING. I’m not sure if it’s because of the break they’ve had before rehearsals, bad sound, or their voices just not naturally blending together on the “LiiiiiiIIIIIVVVVEEEeee”.. I can’t be the only one who notices it

Updated On: 1/29/20 at 10:10 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#666Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/29/20 at 10:45pm

I have to say I’m rarely blown away by musical performances performed outside of the context of the shows they come from. This is no exception. Comes across as amateurish. Not sure this is same choreography they use in the show, but not impressed. Vocals were mostly okay (if not harmonious), but it seemed at times the song was mining from Eliza Hamilton’s songs in Hamilton. Other times the song lyrics just seemed awkward.

I did try listening to the London OCR awhile ago and couldn’t really get into it, but that’s not unusual for me prior to actually seeing a show.

I still want to see this because so many people have raved about it, but I’d be lying if the above doesn’t give me pause.

broadwayindie
#667Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/29/20 at 11:05pm

The broadwaycon video is rough. Literally the reason why good sound engineers are the unsung heroes of the broadway community. Not a good representation at all of what I witnessed multiple times throughout the run in Chicago. Would not judge off that performance.

AEA AGMA SM
#668Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/29/20 at 11:10pm

broadwayindie said: "The broadwaycon video is rough. Literally the reason why good sound engineers are the unsung heroes of the broadway community. Not a good representation at all of what I witnessed multiple times throughout the run in Chicago. Would not judge off that performance."

I wouldn't even lay the blame at the hands of the audio engineer. Though the feed itself was clearly taken directly from the board, that means it's not taking into account the natural sound in the room and how much their natural projection was affecting the mix/blend.

YvanEhtNioj
#669Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/30/20 at 1:17pm

Whatever the reason, It made me cringe so hard. 

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#670Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/30/20 at 1:41pm

Glad someone had the courage to bring this up.  I bought tickets for the Broadway run the first day they went on sale and am extremely excited.  The video from BroadwayCon was not good - by community theatre standards.  I hope everything is a lot tighter when I see it in April.

Impossible2
#671Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/30/20 at 2:01pm

Honestly out of all the casts I think the US is by far the weakest. Of course I have only seen shoddy recordings on youtube, but compared to the UK, UK touring and Australian casts, I haven't been impressed by anything I have seen yet.

In their defence I'm sure they are different when doing a proper performance, but still...

Scarlet Leigh
#672Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/20 at 1:04am

I feel like from all the footage I have seen of the various casts that there is a mix of strong and weak links in ALL the casts. Like by far I would say that US has the best Cleves from what I have seen so far. Nothing against other Cleves but there is something about Brittney Mack's Get Down (as seen at the club launch event and the mall performance) that is just so insanely fun. I really disliked the West End live version of the song, but then again their sound was just a nightmare for that performance.... much like how the sound for Broadwaycon was a nightmare.

And it's all a matter of opinion and taste. Like I still stand by the AU cast's megasix being the least impressive to date. Still good but some of them just sound super similar. Which actually leads to an interesting question to pose to the fans that have watched all the different megasix recordings out there and/or seen the show.... if you could mix and match your dream 6 made up of only actresses that have played in the various productions to date, what would it look like? Understudies and original studio cast included.

Impossible2
#673Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/20 at 3:34am

Scarlet Leigh said: "I feel like from all the footage I have seen of the various casts that there is a mix of strong and weak links in ALL the casts. Like by far I would say that US has the best Cleves from what I have seen so far. Nothing against other Cleves but there is something about Brittney Mack's Get Down (as seen at the club launch event and the mall performance) that is just so insanely fun. I really dislikedthe West End live version of the song, but then again their sound was just a nightmare for that performance.... much like how the sound for Broadwaycon was a nightmare.

And it's all a matter of opinion and taste. Like I still stand by the AU cast's megasix being the least impressive to date. Still good but some of them just sound super similar. Which actually leads to an interesting question to pose to the fans that have watched all the different megasix recordings out there and/or seen the show.... if you could mix and match your dream 6 made up of only actresses that have played in the various productions to date, what would it look like? Understudies and original studio cast included.
"

The new line up in the London cast atm is the best of the lot. Millie is gone now so the weakest link vocally (though her  acting was great) is out. The new Boleyn is fantastic and the new Parr is phenomenal. The other originals are and were always the strongest.

The London Cleves is the best by far. The W.E.L performance was to the original shorter backing track so it’s faster and in a different key to the live performance with the band at the show, which is why she sounded so off. She also did all her adlibs when there was clearly not enough time to get them all in on the shorter version of the track. So she sounds ahead of/behind the track all the time. Mack is very over the top energetic and is vocally on point, but she’s missing the cool, dry, tongue in cheek sarcasm, amazing facial expressions and comic timing that Alexia nails completely. The UK tour Cleves plays it very similar to Mack and is also very good and there’s nothing wrong with that interpretation. But Alexia underplays it and let’s the audience get the jokes on their own, where as I feel Mack overplays it & makes it about ‘her’ performance instead of playing the character.

You're right the Aussie cast do all sound very similar and Parr sounds a bit off, but I think the rest of them sound great. I think some of that has to do with the very strong Aussie accent coming through and I think the accent thing hinders the American cast as well. I just think the Americans over sing everything a little too much as demonstrated on the BWC version. Though I have heard an audience recorded version with better sound and they sound nowhere near as bad as they do on that dreadful official video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wJmHgBqujc

I think it is probably unfair to base opinions on any of their promo performances really. They are all out of their comfort zones and all these types of performances are usually a technical nightmare as there are so many different performers involved and no sound checks etc. Live Tv sound mixing is also usually pretty terrible as they mix through completely different speakers to those on most people’s tvs. Plus all of their nerves are on full display for just a 3-4 minute performance.

I’m sure at the show itself they all sound amazing.

Updated On: 1/31/20 at 03:34 AM

SporkGoddess
#674Six heading to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/20 at 9:14am

I saw this cast (or at least most of them?) in Chicago and they were MUCH better. I wouldn't judge them off of this video.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Videos