#675MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 9:50pm

Musical Master said: "Lauren Ambrose looks absolutley STUNNING in that photo!"

Doesn't look like it's her.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#676MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 9:54pm

Doesn't Ambrose look like that in the show or did they use a different person for the picture?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#677MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 9:59pm

That is 100% Lauren Ambrose.

Musical Master
#678MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 10:11pm

Oh. Then yeah I stand by what I said before. STUNNING! smiley

Wish I had that as my new profile pic though but Robbie beat me to the punch. #DOH!

Updated On: 4/7/18 at 10:11 PM

broadwayboy223
#679MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 10:21pm

Has anyone had luck with the lottery? I really wanna see this when I'm in town next week if I can.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#680MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 1:17am

The Vulture article itself said it was her.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#681MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 11:38pm

There are quite a few $97 row D and E loge seats available on Telecharge for opening night, Thursday 4/19, at 7:00 p.m.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#682MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/10/18 at 3:11am

henrikegerman said: "Olblueeyes, if you find Shaw's ending silly, we can agree to disagree. But curious - in addition to why you find Shaw's resolution silly, how you would prefer the play to end."

With ambiguity.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#683MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/10/18 at 9:27pm

At the performance now which is a gala for LCT patrons. Second act held up for now going on 10 minutes after the set broke down after "Get Me to the Church,"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#684MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/10/18 at 9:27pm

At the performance now which is a gala for LCT patrons. Second act held up for now going on 10 minutes after the set broke down after "Get Me to the Church,"

Tom-497
#685MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 1:04am

I just got back from tonight's show. There was a momentum-killing extended technical problem toward the end. Bartlett Sher eventually came out and explained that a robot had malfunctioned, so Higgins' study would have to be pushed out manually. After that, everything was fine.

I thought the show was mostly excellent -- one of the rare evenings where I spend full price for a pair of tickets and feel that I've gotten my money's worth (and my wife really liked it, too). The only significant weakness, in my view, is something that a couple of previous posters have noted -- some big laughs are being missed due (I would say) more to timing and delivery problems than to any intentional directorial effort to present something more serious. In fact, given some of the earlier posts here, I was expecting a purposely grey and dour production, but that didn't seem the case at all. Rather, it's a mostly lively evening with the occasional, brief flat spot.

Also, I liked the ending. As mentioned by others, Eliza seems to have come back to bid farewell to Higgins on a more tender note. And Higgins, despite his obvious sadness, is also (I think) somewhat exhilarated as he more fully recognizes the ways in which he and Eliza have changed each other.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#686MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 11:02am

I saw this in early previews and now and the show seemed much funnier and faster last night. I think the seriousness people were talking about in early previews was a matter of timing and actors forgetting their lines/stage directions. Norbert Leo Butz made the most improvement -- he clearly has watched some Stanley Holloway because he's acting it with way more humor and joie de vivre now. They also obviously sent him to dance class because his dancing was much improved.

A few sore spots still stick out:

1) Lauren Ambrose's posture when she sings. She still hunches her shoulders and bends her knees and for songs in the second act that show Eliza's newfound confidence this posture sort of takes away from that. Her timing and delivery of lines is much improved.

2) Jordan Donica - still very wooden as Freddy, and misses the humor due to poor timing, occasionally going up in lines, and awkward line readings. Harry Hadden-Patton's Higgins is rather charming, he's pretty hot, and he and Ambrose have great chemistry. If we're to agree that Eliza is better off with Freddy IMO they need a more appealing Freddy.

3) I expected more from Diana Rigg. I know it's a small part but ... just expected more. She looks like she's phoning it in.

BroadwayConcierge
#687MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 12:05pm

Production photos are in! (Below are just a few)

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

Musical Master
#688MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 12:37pm

Everyone looks so amazing in those costumes and Higgins' Study set is freaking GORGEOUS with the size and details to it. The rest of Michael Yeargan's sets looks very well done and beautiful looking, a huge leap from his designs for The King and I and Fiddler on the Roof.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#689MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 12:02am

Think the show was frozen last nigh as there was a gala and some press were there. If you saw it in early previews (as I did) I recommend going back. It really is a different show. 

Full thoughts here:

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-loverly-revival-of-my-fair-lady.html

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#690MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 7:29am

OlBlueEyes said: "henrikegerman said: "Olblueeyes, if you find Shaw's ending silly, we can agree to disagree. But curious - in addition to why you find Shaw's resolution silly, how you would prefer the play to end."

With ambiguity.
"

But isn’ there ambiguity at the end of Pygmalion?  Isn’t the audience left wondering if Eliza will stay resolutely done with Higgins or if Higgins is right to laugh at the prospect?

enjoyable2
#691MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 9:52am

Since I won't be able to see the show and love the score, could you comment on how you thought Ms. Ambrose fared in singing her other songs?  And thanks for your thoughtful and detailed review. 

enjoyable2
#692MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 9:52am

Since I won't be able to see the show and love the score, could you comment on how you thought Ms. Ambrose fared in singing her other songs?  And thanks for your thoughtful and detailed review. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#693MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 9:58am

Wait a month and hear it in the cast recording for yourself.

There is also an audio bootleg of an early preview performance out there if you know how to find one.

BroadwayConcierge
#694MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 9:59am

enjoyable, I know you weren't asking me, but I have to say I thought Ambrose was vocally pitch-perfect throughout the show. Her singing isn't as bold and loud as some other Elizas for the first part of Act I (don't get me wrong, her "Loverly" and "Just You Wait" are still terrific), but she reaches a clear pinnacle moment in "I Could've Danced All Night." That's when she lets loose, sings louder, and nails that final note. For the rest of the show thereafter, her singing is notably more confident and self-assured (which I have to imagine is an intentional character choice).

enjoyable2
#695MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 10:17am

Thank you so much for responding! 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#696MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 10:19am

I don’t like the costume of Eliza’s father. Is him looking like a sloppy drunkard the point?

BroadwayConcierge
#697MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 10:23am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I don’t like the costume of Eliza’s father. Is him looking like a sloppy drunkard the point? "

Yes, actually, it is. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#698MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 10:29am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I don’t like the costume of Eliza’s father. Is him looking like a sloppy drunkard the point?"

Are you familiar with the show?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#699MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 10:48am

enjoyable2 said: "Since I won't be able to see the show and love the score, could you comment on how you thought Ms. Ambrose fared in singing her other songs? And thanks for your thoughtful and detailed review."

IMO Ambrose has a weird voice. Where you might expect her to struggle (the high notes of I Could Have Danced All Night) she sounds beautiful. In the simpler songs like "Without You" or "Show Me" she has this weird posture (knees bent, shoulders hunched) and her voice sounds thinner and weaker. 

Videos