Posted: 4/27/17 at 4:01pm

Robbie2 said: "CHOREOGRAPHY

Andy Blankenbuehler - Bandstand

Warren Carlyle - Hello, Dolly

Peter Darling - Groundhog Day

Kelly Devine - Come From Away

Denis Jones - Holiday Inn

"

Carlyle isn't really choreography, more like a reconstruction of previous choreography. I hope Great Comet's Sam Pinkleton gets nommed.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#701Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 4:50pm

After the Times review, I thought Anastasia may have been "reviewed" out of its shot for a Best Musical Tony nomination.  But given its surprisingly strong showing with Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards nominations, has it potentially inched itself back into contention for a Best Musical nomination?  Maybe edging out Groundhog Day/Great Comet for the fourth spot.

OUTER CRITICS CIRCLE (OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL)
Anastasia
A Bronx Tale
Come From Away
Groundhog Day
Holiday Inn

DRAMA DESK (OUTSTANDING MUSICAL)
Anastasia
The Band's Visit, Atlantic Theater Company
Come From Away
Hadestown, New York Theatre Workshop
The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#702Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 4:53pm

There is no way Great Comet doesn't get nominated for Best Musical. No way.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#703Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 4:55pm

Anastasia will not be edging out Great Comet.

Remember: Dear Evan Hansen and Great Comet were not eligible for the OCC or Drama Desk Awards, creating a vacuum that other musicals had to fill. That's partly why these awards are not reliable indicators of Tony success.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#704Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 5:21pm

Ah!  I didn't realize Great Comet was not eligible for the other awards. (I knew about DEH)

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 05:21 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#705Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 5:23pm

Only the new elements of the Broadway production (set, lights,  Benton, and Groban) were eligible for both OCC and Drama Desk. It seems Chavkin's direction was considered a new element for the Drama Desk, as well, despite having received a nomination for it off-Broadway

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jmuep
#706Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:38pm

I thought this might be worth posting.  There's some of this that doesn't necessarily line up with what's being said on this board.  And then there's some of it that is just 100% factually wrong and will probably be corrected -- like saying Benton is in AMELIE.  

http://variety.com/2017/legit/news/tony-nominations-predictions-2017-1202401804/

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#707Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:50pm

^ Gordon Cox, "Legit Editor," has no idea what he's talking about. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#708Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 10:38pm

Kad said: "Peil also seemed to be well-received for her performance."

Notice that my post was written entirely in "I" statements :) 

BroadwayConcierge
#709Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 10:48pm

On a random note, Amélie has garnered a grand total of zero nominations from both the Outer Critics Circle and the Drama Desk. I feel confident saying it will get locked out of Tony nominations as well (unless Soo somehow manages to be its single showing). 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#710Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:17pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "On a random note, Amélie has garnered a grand total of zero nominations from both the Outer Critics Circle and the Drama Desk. I feel confident saying it will get locked out of Tony nominations as well (unless Soo somehow manages to be its single showing). 

Amelie along with A Bronx Tale & Charlie and the Chocolate Facfory... I predict no Tony nominations!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/27/17 at 11:17 PM

Cfried
#711Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:33pm

Robbie2 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "On a random note, Amélie has garnered a grand total of zero nominations from both the Outer Critics Circle and the Drama Desk. I feel confident saying it will get locked out of Tony nominations as well (unless Soo somehow manages to be its single showing). 

Amelie along with A Bronx Tale & Charlie and the Chocolate Facfory... I predict no Tony nominations!
"

I see Bronx Tale getting several nominations. I'm thinking it'll get score, possibly book, scenic design, and maybe Nick Cordero will slip in. I don't think it will be shut out completely...I imagine the only two complete snubs will be Amelie and Charlie.

Emmaloucbway
#712Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:52pm

Is Cordero considered leading or featured? I know he was nominated under Best Leading Actor for OCC and Drama Desk, but I thought I read somewhere he was considered featured for Tonys (Or am I misremembering?). 

BroadwayConcierge
#713Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:59pm

Well, Bronx Tale got four OCC nominations and a Drama Desk nomination. Charlie only got one Drama Desk nomination, though, so I guess that's slightly better than Amélie's zero? 

little_sally
#714Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 9:30am

I finally saw Six Degrees last night and I would really like to see Corey Hawkins nominated.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#715Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:41am

http://nypost.com/2017/04/28/its-time-to-place-your-bets-for-tony-nominations/

Riedel is an idiot.  There are five slots for the performance categories.  Does he bother doing any research before writing?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#716Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:48am

He also named four actresses to span both Leading and Featured Actress in a Play. He's just lazy.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

little_sally
#717Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:52am

I also can't understand his vitriol towards Great Comet.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#718Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:53am

Riedel is dumb like a fox. Remember his sole agenda is to either kiss ass or ruffle the feathers of the behind the scenes movers and shakers of Broadway.  We all know Natasha Pierre is going to be a Best Musical nominee -- his reluctance to firmly predict that probably has something to do with his relationship with the producers of that show.  All his articles, predictions, writings are always based on those ting-yang relationships. Its the ultimate ego trip.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#719Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 11:13am

He gets more attention by being brash and wrong than right and he knows it.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#720Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 12:15pm

I love myself some Corey Cott, but this is not his year. 

little_sally
#721Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:29pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Makes-Final-Rulings-of-the-Season-on-ANASTASIA-AMELIE-GROUNDHOG-DAY-More-20170428

I think Henry Shields being lead is an interesting move but I'm still not sure he'll be nominated.

Am I reading this correctly that Chris Cooper is now considered lead? I think this is a better move because he's more likely to be nominated. I can see the noms now being Glick, Kline, Cooper, Ruffalo, and Mays.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#722Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:32pm

little_sally said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Makes-Final-Rulings-of-the-Season-on-ANASTASIA-AMELIE-GROUNDHOG-DAY-More-20170428

I think Henry Shields being lead is an interesting move but I'm still not sure he'll be nominated.

Am I reading this correctly that Chris Cooper is now considered lead? I think this is a better move because he's more likely to be nominated. I can see the noms now being Glick, Kline, Cooper, Ruffalo, and Mays.
"

He's not getting nominated, but interesting that they left Derek Klena in the Featured category. All three ANASTASIA men are in Featured, which just seems like a poor move.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#723Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:37pm

Does this mean Derek could get nominated???

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#724Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:38pm

I wonder how they decided on Henry Lewis for Leading. I thought he was very good but his role didn't seem any larger than the rest of the cast. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos