pixeltracker

Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer- Page 3

Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer

Yankeefan007
#50Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 5:52pm

Krysta Rodriguez in a turquoise tube top for 2 hours? I'm there.

socarrat
#51Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 9:03pm

I just don't think that Nathan Lane has the physical presence to be the genie.

"Disney doesn't need A-listers to sell tickets, and they've never used them before."

Interesting observation Kad. Maybe Ruben Studdard would be a great genie. He's not Robin Williams, but he can act, sing, and he's very funny, especially with a sidekick. Alan Menken did say it had the feeling of a Crosby/Hope road picture, and I love that concept.

I also hope they add the character of Aladdin's mother because that means they'll add "Proud of Your Boy". The song was so moving on the DVD.

beautywickedlover
#52Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 11:59pm

"Lea Salonga popped into my head for Jasmine but I'm guessing she's too old?"

She is, but you never know. Amanda Holden is going to play Princess Fiona when "Shrek the Musical" opens in London and she will be fourty by then. Lea is exactly her age.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#53Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/10/11 at 11:23am

There's an anecdote that the Genie was intended to be a funny black Jew in the Sammy Davis Jr. style, but they couldn't find anyone with that particular brand of chutzpah, so Robin Williams pretty much did his own thing with the part.

romgitsean
#54Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/10/11 at 12:11pm

While ideally a middle-eastern cast is desired, considering it takes place in Sadia Arabia (as The Lion King, which takes place in Africa has an all-black cast), it is unlikely, and star power will ensue with non-ethnic leads I'm sure. While I don't condone this necessarily, I don't think it would be bad to see KDM as Aladdin, but for whatever reason, I don't see Rodriguez fitting the bill for Jasmine. While I could see Nathan taking the genie, it wouldn't be a worthwhile career move for him. I personally am excited for this, but I need to know more before I get too excited.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

Greenway2
#55Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/10/11 at 8:32pm

This could be great! It could be like a Broadway version of Disney's California Adventure's version of the show.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#56Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/10/11 at 10:37pm

The way the characters are drawn and portrayed was the subject of some social criticism- Aladdin and Jasmine are pretty clearly dark-haired Caucasian in genotype, whereas Jafar and the brute squad are more explicitly Middle Eastern. By contrast, the Genie was intended to be a (blue) black man, and Iago is a Jewish caricature down to his thick, knitted eyebrows and noselike beak.

Will this affect the casting of the show? Who knows.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#57Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/11/11 at 2:05am

"As The Lion King, which takes place in Africa has an all-black cast"

Since when has the Lion King had an all black cast? Pumba, Timon, and Scar are clearly Caucasian...this statement is entirely false. and misleading. If you want to talk about a show with an all black cast please get it write. One suggestion would be The Color Purple. Disney has never had an all-black cast onstage in a Broadway show ever. If you are speaking about the film you do know that not everyone in that film was black? i.e. Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, and countless other (non-black) stars.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#58Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/11/11 at 1:03pm

"Aladdin and Jasmine are pretty clearly dark-haired Caucasian in genotype, whereas Jafar and the brute squad are more explicitly Middle Eastern."

Meh, most middle eastern people (most) are Caucasian.

Aswatrowinkenbo Profile Photo
Aswatrowinkenbo
#59Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/11/11 at 10:48pm

The audition notice just went up. It says "ALL ETHNICITIES ENCOURAGED TO AUDITION". It seems like they're going to be pulling from the Seattle talent, but knowing the 5th Avenue, they'll have some "big names" too.

The notice includes roles for some new characters:

BABKAK – 20s, chubby, romantic desert dweller, part of Aladdin’s band; the “Crosby” of this Arabian “Road” picture, although perhaps with a bit more flair

OMAR – 20s, nervous, diminutive desert dweller, part of Aladdin’s band; the “Lamour”

KASSIM – 20s, tough (inside and out) desert dweller, part of Aladdin’s band; the “Hope”

RAZOUL – stern captain of the Royal Guard

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#60Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 11:34am

How about Gabrielle Ruiz or Courtney Reed as Jasmine? Could possibly work...

::bust a move::

rmusic11322
#61Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:40pm

^ Both are amazingly talented. I go with both of them. :)

For some reason, Jose Llana came into my head for Aladdin.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#62Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:48pm

Llove me some Llana. In ANYTHING. Or OUT of most clothes.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#63Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:49pm

If I can score tickets, I'll definitely be making a trip to Seattle this summer.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#64Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:15pm

right there withya, ^Thelma or ^Louise (you can pick). i never even got to see it at Disneyland (*music in* "take my dreams to...disneyland...." now THAT dates me)

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#65Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:25pm

I'd love to met up in Seattle! Has it really been 8 years?

Talk about dating oneself...I remember riding Space Mountain the year it opened in Orlando. And Disney's Bicentennial parade. I had a lunchbox of the parade as a souvenir.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#66Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:55pm

I just really hope this wont be a lilly-white casting. How boring. I want to see some color in aladdin. And NOT just in the ensemble.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#67Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 2:06pm

bebe, i was IN the DisneyWorld Centennial....i still know the arm motions to "it's a year long, and a smile wide" for the Parade.

finishmyhat
#68Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 2:38pm

WOW

They're really adding all the cut Ashman stuff then. Aladdin will have 3 friends who he'll desert for fortune and fame.

Songs added back in will probably include:

"Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kasim" which would probably replace One Jump. It was intended to introduce us to the street rats. They put on a song and dance number on the streets of Agraba to blind-side the crowd while they secretly steel from unsuspecting merchants.

"How Quick They Forget" which is a Barbershop "trio", the boys talk about Aladdin leaving the old group, and perform a quartet with a missing harmony part.

"High Adventure" which is where all four of them go after Jafar.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#69Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 2:51pm

would LOVE to hear those songs too!

Jonwo
#70Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 4:06pm

I reckon most if all the songs from the films will remain, One Jump Ahead could be altered to include Babkak Omar and Kasim rather than just Aladdin.

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#71Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 4:12pm

Wayne Brady as the Genie would be inspired.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#72Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 4:45pm

Don't forget Proud Of Your Boy and Call Me A Princess

....but the world goes 'round

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#73Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 5:37pm

I say they take advantage of Daniel Breaker being in Seattle...He would be fantastic.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

finishmyhat
#74Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/12/11 at 5:47pm

Proud Of Your Boy will definitely be in. I doubt Call Me A Princess will makes the cut thought. Jasmine isn't that kind of character and listening to the work tape to the song, it was never finished and Menken admits "that was rough". When Ms. Butler recorded it, nothing was altered and instead of the song ending, she trails off with some dialogue about crating her chariot... Still an unfinished musical number.

Videos