pixeltracker

Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips - Page 3

Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#50Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:19pm

When I saw Rock of Ages, a woman lifted her top and shook her breasts, a dude puked on the street at intermission and another man soiled himself. Classy.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 3/27/14 at 07:19 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#51Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:29pm

Well Betty, at least you got your money's worth. although I do feel a little put off by your term "fun bags"

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#52Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:34pm

Jane-I edited it. Sorry to offend. That was the term the woman at the theatre used.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ArtMan
#53Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:40pm

The amazing thing is whether I am at the theatre or at the movies, it seems to take people an eternity to open their wrapper or bag. What should take a couple of seconds seems to go on for at least a minute or more. I believe some people do it on purpose. Attention seekers...whether it's negative or favorable attention. They have to have it.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#54Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:47pm

"That was the term the woman at the theatre used."

Now there's a woman with class. all low!.

Theater'sBestFriend
#55Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 8:36pm

"The greedy producers have vendors hawk snacks during intermission like in the circus, so they are ok with it."

Um, wouldn't it actually be not the producer(s) but the theater owner who both controls and profits from the theater's concessions?

If you have some evidence that Scott Rudin and/or his partners made this potato chip decision and profit from it, please do share it. If not, maybe you can tell us why you chose to call the producers "greedy"?

Updated On: 3/27/14 at 08:36 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#56Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 8:58pm

"Um, wouldn't it actually be not the producer(s) but the theater owner who both controls and profits from the theater's concession"

the producers are the bosses when they inhabit/rent the theater.

Updated On: 3/27/14 at 08:58 PM

Theater'sBestFriend
#57Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 1:07am

No, they're not. Theater owners own and control the food concessions. You have no idea what you're talking about.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#58Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 3:43am

I feel that the people who are making noise/txting/eating in a theatre-to them it is all about 'ownership'--'I have bought this space [seat],it is mine and I intend to treat it as I would at home and I can do what I want'. These same people put their feet up on chairs in cafes, allow their children to behave unchecked-to them it is a 'me' society-don't interfere with my life/pleasure and everyone else can get fcuked.

Liza's Headband
#59Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 9:01am

TBF is correct.

jemjeb2
#60Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 9:55am

Bettyboy - and that was just the cast!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#61Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 10:38am

"No, they're not. Theater owners own and control the food concessions. You have no idea what you're talking about."

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Updated On: 3/28/14 at 10:38 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#62Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 2:30pm

How dare they say they have dumbed down Broadway

They are just making it like a lounge act at Circus Circus in Vegas.

Poster Emeritus

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#63Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 2:46pm

Yeah. Thanks, Obama.

Theater'sBestFriend
#64Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 10:51pm

"You have no idea what you're talking about."

Really? Here's what: Before you make any further similar assertions in a thread that has publicly characterized someone as "greedy," or saying I don't know what I'm talking about, go read the production LLC agreement. It is filed with the state Attorney General's office. See if you can find where it describes control of or revenues from theater concessions. Anonymity is not a license to say things that are untrue.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#65Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 11:02pm

The only way this type of behavior will be stopped is when theaters start having the equivalent of road rage incidents such as fistfights and outright melees . I see it coming to this and sadly repeated episodes of this may be the only way bad behavior stops.

There needs to be a code of conduct backed by ejection that audience members need to follow.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/28/14 at 11:02 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#67Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#69Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 11:03pm

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/28/14 at 11:03 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#70Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 11:10pm

"Really? Here's what: Before you make any further similar assertions in a thread that has publicly characterized someone as "greedy," or saying I don't know what I'm talking about, go read the production LLC agreement. It is filed with the state Attorney General's office. See if you can find where it describes control of or revenues from theater concessions. Anonymity is not a license to say things that are untrue."

In my experience, it was true. As house, bar, and concession manager of a theater, I was sometimes given special instructions on the selling of merch and refreshments from producers of shows. Of course, this was not on broadway, so perhaps the rules are different.

Also, I am not using anonymity to post untruths here as you have accused me of doing. If one of us makes a post which contains an untruth, you should not assume we are doing it purposely. Happens all the time. This is only a message board, not Supreme Court.

Updated On: 3/28/14 at 11:10 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#71Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 11:12pm

Please excuse the multiple posts

I have tried repeatedly to first delete & update and than clear and neither function seems to work .They just double post.

Poster Emeritus

oasisjeff
#72Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/28/14 at 11:12pm

So, just to make sure I have this right:

Rules of etiquette at the theater = good
Rules of etiquette on a message board = bad

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#73Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/29/14 at 7:36am

You know, the theatre owners and/or producers (whichever) could also make a lot of money selling AmWay during a show, or putting slot machines into the backs of each row of seats, or by offering headphones with additional music channels for sale if people get bored with their show.

All of these are bad ideas, especially letting people eat and drink during a live performance of a play or musical.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/29/14 at 07:36 AM

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#74Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/29/14 at 9:24am

In my experience, it was true. As house, bar, and concession manager of a theater, I was sometimes given special instructions on the selling of merch and refreshments from producers of shows. Of course, this was not on broadway, so perhaps the rules are different.

I work part-time selling merchandise on Broadway, and I worked under a top producer for years. From what I saw, producers can make requests like "don't serve ice in the drinks because it makes noise," but they can't say, "don't sell drinks."

Similarly, I've worked shows where the merch and concessions people were asked not to "hawk" in the aisles because it disrupts the serious tone of the show, but they can't say "don't sell food." (Merch doesn't really apply here because that IS determined and earned by the producers, not the theater owner, but I am bringing it up because that is my personal experience.)

All concessions and bar revenue goes to the theater owner, NOT the producer.

However, it is also true that many theater owners are also producers (like the Nederlanders) and sometimes join the producing team in order to secure that show for their theater. So there you go.

In theater there is never an easy answer.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Videos