pixeltracker

Actors Breaking Character- Page 3

Actors Breaking Character

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#50Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 12:56am

To the last 2 posters: Yes, audiences often love it, and yes, mishaps do happen on stage. My issue is just that it seems like Idina has been doing it a lot, and in ways that completely break out of character, rather than doing her best to stay in the moment like a professional. Also, delongpre, you say "some people see it as special when the show strays from the same old same old," but if it happens so often, it's not special, and becomes unprofessional.

sharona39
#51Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 7:17am

I have seen if/Then 4 times - idina never broke character and I would have loved to witness her doing so. I love seeing the human side of the actors. I, personally don't view it as unprofessional. Breaking character to scold an audience member is a different situation entirely - that to me is wrong and the epitome of diva behavior.

kp
#52Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 7:43am

Much of the behaviour described is completely self indulgent. I know actors are human and I don't need them to break character to tell me. I saw a production recently where the set broke down causing a bit of mayhem what impressed me most was the actors improvised around it, made the audience laugh but did so without breaking character. That was professional behaviour while much of what has been described here is not.

Pootie2
#53Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 8:08am

^ And ultimately, that's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how the audience of that show took it. Like I said, the audience for IF/THEN is likely not the most "traditional"--it's very much like how some people hate Menzel's concerts while others think they're great. If someone happened to be in audience of that show and was upset, then leave a bad review or complain on the official FB or something. As of yet, I've never seen any real complaints about this ("real" meaning from actual witnesses). Not sure what other avenues of complaint one can take, either.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#54Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 10:50am

Interesting, the people who have seen the show multiple times are the ones who don't mind. Yet most people aren't at "If/Then" to savor another performance's triumphs and one-night-only eccentricities, but merely to be fully engaged by an emotion-driven story. "If/Then" has enough focus and storytelling issues without losing its bifurcated character in a fit of giggles. I am appalled, and I'm a fan of both the show and Menzel. I saw Debbie Reynolds break character in "Woman of the Year," and though it wasn't as noticeable as these incidents, it marred the evening, particularly in light of the triple threat nature of Reynolds' take on Tess (which was far more accomplished than Bacall's or Welch's). Anything can happen, but if this thread is anecdotal evidence about Menzel's concentration problems -- particularly if she says "it's the last show of the week, foks" -- she should be ashamed. It's not cute. And it probably doesn't help a show struggling to survive (and it is) on word-of-mouth.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/10/14 at 10:50 AM

Pootie2
#55Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:21am

"Interesting, the people who have seen the show multiple times are the ones who don't mind. Yet most people aren't at "If/Then" to savor another performance's triumphs and one-night-only eccentricities, but merely to be fully engaged by an emotion-driven story."

The first part is a fair observation, but I and probably many others will disagree with that latter statement. Given the marketing positioning, weekly gross in reaction to absences, general takeaway from social media and even this board, people primarily go to see the show not for the story but for Menzel. Now, personally I think that's very unfortunate, but there it is. And for that reason, I suspect those people going to see Menzel are going to be a lot more forgiving of this kind of thing.

Updated On: 10/10/14 at 11:21 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#56Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:37am

I think we can all agree that the "Fanzel" audience as whole LOVES when she breaks, which is probably why she thinks it's ok to do it so often. But it's still unprofessional by the theatrical standards. As others have pointed out, any actor who is less famous than she is would NOT get away with breaking so many times in such a blatant way -- regardless of how much her fans love it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#57Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:47am

Last Saturday night, my wife and I saw a 1 man show at the French Institute about Moliere. It was in French with English supertitles. About 2/3 of the way thru, the actor totally forgot his next line. He turned around, looked at the next line in English in the supertitles and turned to face the audience and continued on in French without missing a beat. Mrs R is fluent in French. It was more interesting than the recent shows I have seen.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/10/14 at 11:47 AM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#58Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 2:23pm

I think another aspect which makes Menzel's breaking in this show far more appropriate than others is that it is such a human show. She's playing a character, yes, but it's just a normal woman, not the wicked witch of the west. So while it does disrupt the story for a moment, the audience is already connected on such a human level that Menzel opening up as herself briefly almost helps to perpetuate the humanity of the show. I do agree that pretty much any other actor in this show or any other show would not get away with this but for some reason, in my gut, it feels okay and sincere here.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#59Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 3:09pm

Actually, I feel the opposite. If Dolly Levi talks to the conductor on the runway, well, she's a woman in a restaurant, working the room, quite literally. The situation and circumstance are innately theatrical. Menzel is in a show that asks us to believe she's a real woman in a real city, with two options for her life. Our willingness to suspend disbelief is what makes the story work (or not). And I dare say, anyone who plays WICKED would swear that all those roles are "real." Those aren't puppets; the entire point of the show is to humanize and reinvent characters (too) known as archetype. The whole premise of WICKED is to establish a kind of reality within fantasy. I don't buy the distinction.

And I don't agree that the fans are too gaga or spit-bubble blowing groupies who just want Menzel to show up. Many people (like me) choose to see the the show once because of the Menzel/Next to Normal team synergy. It's that combination of the material and the star presence that entices. It's not a concert. So I believe they are rooting for one of their favorite actors to score. That means, play a "real woman" for 2 1/2 hours.

Others clearly strongly disagree, but these excuses for this behavior strike me as a stretch. Maybe because I don't buy any excuse.

Updated On: 10/10/14 at 03:09 PM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#60Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 3:22pm

I remember reading about a lot of character breaks by Menzel and Chenoweth in Wicked. It sounds like Menzel may have picked up the habit during that show. When I saw Wicked, Chenoweth did this thing with the mirror in Popular where she tried to shine the reflection of the light into audience members' eyes, and I thought it was silly and pandering to the audience rather than being true to the character. I think, with the right show and the right performer, it can be fun to see character breaks to an extent, but there is a limit at which it becomes more about "Idina Menzel is so funny!" as opposed to having anything to do with the character she is playing or the show.

Character breaks make it hard for the audience to believe in you as the character as opposed to the actor.

IMO, character breaks are only fun if you're not that invested in the characters as real people. Character breaks in Next to Normal, for example, would have seemed very out of place.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 10/10/14 at 03:22 PM

kp
#61Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 3:25pm

I really can't believe some of the absolute claptrap used an excuse for it being ok for Menzel to break character. Because she's playing a normal woman?? You really can't be serious!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#62Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/10/14 at 11:31pm

Oh please. Idina breaks character 3 times and you're ready to revoke her Tony. Nathan Lane "breaks character" for laughs in every single performance for the past 2 decades and no one ever calls that unprofessional.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

FindingNamo
#63Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 1:07am

He didn't when I saw him in Butley.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ghostlight2
#64Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 10:59am

Lane broke character when I saw him in Buckley.

sharona39
#65Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:05pm

I really don't see it as any big deal. I can get right back into the story..I saw Hugh Jackman break character in the Boy from Oz...audience loved it. Not a detraction or a distraction. It's live theatre...there is no "cut"...and start over...it's why blooper reals are so popular with fans...audiences are fans with the performers as well as well as the show. I respect everyone's opinion, this is just mine.

delongpre
#66Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:57pm

"To the last 2 posters: Yes, audiences often love it, and yes, mishaps do happen on stage. My issue is just that it seems like Idina has been doing it a lot, and in ways that completely break out of character, rather than doing her best to stay in the moment like a professional. Also, delongpre, you say "some people see it as special when the show strays from the same old same old," but if it happens so often, it's not special, and becomes unprofessional. "

Idina choking on cereal certainly was not intentional. She tried to hold it together but when she realized she needed water in order to continue she had to break character. The other time she broke character was also not intentional. She tried to get back into the scene but her line mistake took her and the other characters off the beat. Her attempts to fix it make the other players laugh and they just threw their hands up and started over, wanting to give the audience the correct scene. But she explained later that at the end of a long week they get tired. Her role is very emotionally taxing and she makes a lot of quick changes and fast stage moves. It takes incredible focus to keep it together with all of that distraction. For a line to escape her from time to time is more than permissible. I wasn't saying people go to theater to see the breaks, but most regulars do not react badly when an actor goes off. HELL this is what live theater is all about. You're looking at real people on a stage. If you want line perfection stay home and watch the same movie over and over again.

sharona39
#67Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 1:05pm

Good answer. and if Idina can not get rattled after that whole "Adele Dazeem" debacle...that speaks to her focus and professionalism.

Pootie2
#68Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 1:28pm

^Well, I think she was rattled by that a bit as it definitely wasn't her best presentation, but it could've turned out a whole lot worse.

"I wasn't saying people go to theater to see the breaks, but most regulars do not react badly when an actor goes off." (delongpre)

Certainly from the Twitter search I did, all those reactions were quite positive to the humor, including those who hadn't seen the show before (tourists). I still think it doesn't happen "all the time" like some people claim and it's just a matter of publicized probability. Ultimately, do these sorts of things harm the economics of a show by word of mouth? People can wax academic about theatrical class in these situations, but there are only so many ways an audience member can react to a character break and send the event off by word-of-mouth.

A) "My friend saw it last night and the main broke character and laughed for 3 minutes! How disgustingly unprofessional, I'll never see that show or anything that actor is in!"

B) "My friend saw it last night and the main broke character and laughed for 3 minutes! I hope that doesn't happen when I see it."

C) "My friend saw it last night and the main broke character and laughed for 3 minutes! Man, I wish I got to witness that."

Yeah, A doesn't seem likely for any normal person. B and C more likely.

fallingawake Profile Photo
fallingawake
#69Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 6:22pm

Not quite what everyone else is describing, but at On the Town last weekend, when they started up the second act after the intermission, as they were starting to get into the nightclub scenes, they actually casually transitioned into singing 'Happy Birthday' to Tony Yazbeck's grandfather, who was attending that performance. They briefly started the scene, then the night club manager walked to the front of the stage and said something along the lines of 'We heard someone was celebrating a birthday today...', and said a few words about him (his years of service, his wife of 60+ years, etc..)

Obviously it was a planned "character break" versus an unplanned one out of annoyance at the audience or laughter amongst the cast. It was incredibly sweet, but I don't think I've ever seen that sort of tribute more or less "during" a show before instead of at/after the curtain call

jo
#70Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/11/14 at 7:24pm

In THE BOY FROM OZ, it was practically a year-round breaking character for Hugh Jackman as Peter Allen.

I remembered this interview by NYTimes Jesse Green towards the end of the yearlong run --

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/theater/newsandfeatures/05GREE.html

>>Q. How has the show changed from a year ago?

A. About three weeks into rehearsal I began to feel we really had to break the thing open, that I had to do some kind of ad-lib audience-participation. So I just sketched out a thing, and I did it at rehearsals, and if you can imagine in the rehearsal room, with no audience, it's not really funny. So we dropped it, but then it kind of recurred organically one night, after we opened, when someone came in late, with the usher shining the torch, and sat down right in front of me in the front row. I just sort of stopped short and started having a conversation. Now, when the latecomers don't come, I really regret it because the whole of Act I is very different. Of course, I have to be careful who I pick because some people come late deliberately to do routines; I can tell. I never pick a latecomer who is in the front row.

Q. The ad-lib section at the beginning of Act II, when you often invite someone to come onstage and banter or dance, has become one of the highlights of the show. People come back for it.

A. It started around November, and I was nervous that I would trip myself up, that I wouldn't be funny. But now I've realized that people laugh just because they sense that you're winging it. And, really, they do all the work. I get someone up to dance and people just go mental because they're all thinking, "That could be me."

Q. Has it ever gotten out of hand?

A. One woman took her top off. She was in the front row, and I was just speechless. Another time, someone yelled out, "I want to bite your butt." And I said, "Well, come on, lady, come on down," thinking she wouldn't. But down she came, and I stuck out my bum, and she just chomped in.<<<

Updated On: 10/11/14 at 07:24 PM

kp
#71Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/13/14 at 4:50am

Jo - sorry but you are incorrect when you say he spent a year breaking character. Ad libbing in character is not the same as breaking character. He was Peter interacting with the audience at a concert.

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 04:50 AM

jo
#72Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/13/14 at 5:09am

Yes, perhaps in the first scene for the second act when he was being Peter Allen in a concert, that was not technically breaking character.

But towards the beginning of the show when latecomers come in ( he was acting as Peter during his early years) he would break character and adlib with his audience. At that point he was not interacting with the audience in a concert.

But how would this get classified -- in one scene during a concert moment, he could not find the audience member who shouted back at him. Hugh, no longer acting like Peter, started hunting for him in his characteristic Wolverine manner ( brows knitted, eyes looking fiercely beneath the brows, fierce scowl as he went from left to right of the stage )...When he found him, the audience member turned out to be a hunk - and Peter Allen came right back to the scene. The audience went LOL!

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 05:09 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#73Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/13/14 at 9:12am

Since Lane has come up: When I saw THE PRODUCERS, back in the day, and it was early in the run, Lane broke character at moments when he wanted to let the audience know he was not Max, particularly about the heterosexual relations with the old ladies. Why, I wondered? It wasn't as distracting as getting the giggles, but it was odd, Lane italicizing moments and raising his eyebrows to Broderick, on key lines. Yes, he got all too knowing laughs from about 1/3 of the audience, who got what the commentary was. It didn't necessarily interrupt the show's flow, but it was a self-indulgent choice, making us aware that he didn't share the straight male tastes of Max. Again, why? In general, I thought Lane nailed Max consistently only when singing. I got a lot of Lane in the scenes. For me, Broderick was far more successful at sustaining a character. (How ironic that his Leo is now recycled so fully in IT'S ONLY A PLAY; but that's another topic; Broderick did not break character even a second in THE PRODUCERS when I saw it.)

Bwaydide92
#74Actors Breaking Character
Posted: 10/13/14 at 10:51pm

I think it's very selfish of an actor to ever break character unless it's absolutely necessary.

i.e When Idina was choking. I'd much rather see an actor break character than see an actor die on stage. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm even slightly okay with actors breaking to deal with an unruly audience member. If that person is so distracting to the actor, and they can't concentrate, and the house management isn't dealing with the situation properly, I would be okay with the actor addressing that audience member, so the actor can regain their composure and give the performance they have worked hard on.

But I don't think it's ever appropriate for an actor to break character because they mess up a line or another actor cracks during a song. Especially if you're a star. You are getting paid a large amount of money to perform and people are paying a lot of money to see you perform. And as an artist, it is your job to perform the script verbatim (unless otherwise agreed upon with the playwright, or established in the rehearsal process). Actors are not the most important part of a play. They are replaceable artist that are hired to bring the vision of the writer(s) and director to life. They do get creative input, but they do not get to do whatever they want.

I don't care if every single member of the audience enjoyed watching Idina say "Sorry it's the last show of the week". Brian Yorkey did not write those words. If I were the writer and I saw that show. I would be angry and embarrassed. Writers work long before the actors start on a play. For Idina to show that kind of disrespect to well regarded artists is very unprofessional.

Also, I doubt every member of the audience enjoyed her breaking character. Maybe they didn't complain on Facebook or whatever. But if I had been in the audience, I know that it would have taken me out of the moment. And that's not what I paid for. I'm sure others felt like that. It's an actor's responsibility to give the best performance for every member of the audience, not just their fans.

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 10:51 PM

Videos