The Next Hedwig?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#50The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:00pm

"I don't know any rumors but it'd be cool if they cast an actual trans woman!"

Unless it's Laverne Cox, not sure who else remotely has the name recognition for this to even be a remote possibility...

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#51The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:03pm

Caitlyn Jenner could do it 

I think its so cool that parrots can talk!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

smidge
#52The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:22pm

That Jezebel is a beauty! I think we found our next Hedwig

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#53The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:29pm

The name Caitlin rings a bell. 

Lol. I kid. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#54The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:32pm

Only if we remove the parts where Hedwig has to sing, improvise, act, dance and was middle-aged when the Berlin Wall came down...

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#55The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 6:58pm

It always comes down to business...I think John Barrowman could do it well; he has a following but I don't think he'd fill all the seats. Revisiting the Glee department, Chord Overstreet and even Matthew Morrison could pull it off.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Phan2
#56The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 7:49pm

Does Laverne Cox sing?  (Jane2, I'll like to see Jezebel talk.  :)  )

smidge
#57The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 8:06pm

For some reason I'd like to see Diego Luna as Hedwig.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#58The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 8:14pm

Kelli O'hara

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#59The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 9:19pm

"Only if we remove the parts where Hedwig has to sing, improvise, act, dance and was middle-aged when the Berlin Wall came down...

27 is middle-aged? 

Barrowman could probably do good business in the London production.

Updated On: 8/12/15 at 09:19 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#60The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 9:25pm

"27 is middle-aged? 

Barrowman could probably do good business in the London production."

That was in reference to Caitlyn Jenner, the posts directly above it.

Updated On: 8/12/15 at 09:25 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#61The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 9:46pm

"It always comes down to business...I think John Barrowman could do it well; he has a following but I don't think he'd fill all the seats. Revisiting the Glee department, Chord Overstreet and even Matthew Morrison could pull it off.

"

The glee thing worked once...let's not risk it again. Chord Overstreet would be horrendous.

Laverne used to sing, but hormones have messed with her voice.

Phan2
#62The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:22pm

Thanks for your answer about Laverne, ChildofEarth. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#63The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:28pm

This is on topic. Tonight I had some friends over for dinner and we watched the Hedwig movie (which is always a thrill for me.) When I told my friends I was on the dvd in the section where JCM is giving a tour of the Jane, they insisted we watch it.

I had never actually seen all that footage. If any of you are interested, get the dvd if only for the complete history of the show, narrated by JCM, Trask, and everyone else ever involved. there's footage from the Squeezebox and on from there. All the Hedwigs from the Jane are shown and interviewed. 

Even my friends who have next to no interest in the character, found the dvd interesting.

p.s. If I can get Jezebel to speak on camera, (she has an extensive vocabulary), I'll post a thread. 

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#64The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:33pm

"This is on topic. Tonight I had some friends over for dinner and we watched the Hedwig movie (which is always a thrill for me.) When I told my friends I was on the dvd in the section where JCM is giving a tour of the Jane, they insisted we watch it.

I had never actually seen all that footage. If any of you are interested, get the dvd if only for the complete history of the show, narrated by JCM, Trask, and everyone else ever involved. there's footage from the Squeezebox and on from there. All the Hedwigs from the Jane are shown and interviewed. 

Even my friends who have next to no interest in the character, found the dvd interesting.

p.s. If I can get Jezebel to speak on camera, (she has an extensive vocabulary), I'll post a thread. 

"

Jane, you're in ithe documentary?!  Get out! I'm definitely going to throw that in tonight.  I haven't seen it in ages.  That documentary is worth the DVD price alone.  It's a full length doc.  

I miss the big red chairs. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#65The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:38pm

"This is on topic."

Since when is that required on here?! The Next Hedwig?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#66The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:40pm

"Kelli O'hara"

I lol'd.

Updated On: 8/12/15 at 10:40 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#67The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:41pm

haha^. I'm pretty guilty of straying off topic.

this is meant for haterobics

Updated On: 8/12/15 at 10:41 PM

akmiller_98
#68The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:46pm

You can watch the documentary here on YouTube. It's fantastic. Hope this link works.

http://youtu.be/pqt0DoFA5-k

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#69The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:53pm

it works, thanks for posting it!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#70The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 10:55pm

I keep the documentary loaded in my iTunes. You never know when you'll need to watch it. The Next Hedwig?

SingMeToSleep
#71The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 11:01pm

"It always comes down to business...I think John Barrowman could do it well; he has a following but I don't think he'd fill all the seats. Revisiting the Glee department, Chord Overstreet and even Matthew Morrison could pull it off."

Overstreet isn't nearly a strong enough performer or actor or singer to pull it off and he doesn't have enough name recognition or a big enough fanbase to float the show. Morrison might be able to do it but I don't know if he'd be a big audience draw for Hedwig at this particular point. He'd be the only regular Glee actor, at least among the men, who could possibly do it. As an out of the box idea, Jane Lynch might be an interesting choice for an actress to play Hedwig. She'd certainly nail the acting and comedy and could probably provide an interesting interpretation of the story.

In terms of actors who possibly could do it, who would be big names for the stunt casting the producers seem to prefer (i.e. people whose star power extends beyond just regular Broadway audiences), and who might bring new demographics to the show, JCM's ideas of Gaga and Timberlake might work if they have the capability to do comedy improv. Thinking of people more in the age range of JCM who might bring more of a sense of life-experience to Hedwig: Ricky Martin; Hugh Jackman, although I'd think he'd have wanted to be the first Broadway Hedwig rather than coming in at this point; Robert Downey, Jr.; John Stamos. Other possibilities: Matt Bomer, who apparently can sing; Ryan Gosling; as others have mentioned many times, Ewan McGregor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Jon Groff. An interesting, though probably not nearly well-known enough, choice might be John Cho. 

smidge
#72The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 11:20pm

Does Finn Wittrock sing? I would love to see him take on Hedwig.

Henri Baurel Profile Photo
Henri Baurel
#73The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 11:32pm

i think laura jane grace definitely has the voice and name recognition, though whether or not she can act is anybody's guess

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#74The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/12/15 at 11:35pm

"You can watch the documentary here on YouTube. It's fantastic. Hope this link works.

http://youtu.be/pqt0DoFA5-k

"

Thanks for the link.  I thought about going to my movie collection, but I'm just too lazy.

Videos