pixeltracker

Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets - Page 3

Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets

chi-town_bwayfangirl
#50Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 2:55pm

Re: price dropping closer to show times, that definitely happened with me. I was watching two specific seats before a Wednesday matinee. The tickets were $700/ea and then dropped to $500/ea at 1pm...then I had to rush to the stub hub office and rush back to the theatre. Having previously sold some Cubs tix on stub hub, you have the option of selecting whether you want to reduce price automatically win x days/hours of the event (that was several years ago though). 

JM226
#51Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 2:58pm

LIVE ENTERTAINMENT IS NOT A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT OR NECESSITY. FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT. HEALTHCARE AND FOOD AND SHELTER IS A NECESSITY. LIVE ENTERTAINMENT IS NOT.

the fact that we're getting so extreme as to compare this to the debate over fracking and renewable energy and fossil fuels?! gimme a break, people.  if you can afford it, buy the ticket and see it. if you can't, go see another show and/or find ways around the prices (lottery/rush/purchase far in advance/save up money/ask for birthday or Christmas). if you so badly want to see the show, you will make other sacrifices to see it.  you cannot demand the same of those producing the very entertainment you want access to. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#52Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:03pm

JM226 hits the nail on the head.

JM226
#53Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:05pm

the delusional self-entitlement on display in this thread is truly dumbfounding and reminds me of how screwed up we have become as a society. it's like we're regressing as a nation, not progressing. 

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#54Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:39pm

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with being frustrated that you want to see a show, there are tickets available, but even the crappy ones are priced WAY above what any reasonable person should have to pay to see a 2-1/2 hour show.   And just as an aside, getting scolded about feeling frustrated doesn't alleviate the frustration. Just so you know.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#55Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:03pm

Margo319 said: "The only way to avoid scalper tickets (who have great software that allows them to buy many tickets in minutes) is to release the next batch of tickets on sale at the box office only."

This will force the scalpers to hire line sitters before still making hundreds of additional dollars per ticket...

Margo319
#56Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:21pm

Ha, I guess you're right.  Yeah, there is no way around them I guess.  

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#57Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:34pm

Other than the premium tickets, just how long, exactly, is Hamilton sold-out for?

Margo319
#58Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:45pm

Up until the very last performance they had tickets for Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets

JM226
#59Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:07pm

"And just as an aside, getting scolded about feeling frustrated doesn't alleviate the frustration. Just so you know."

WHO, exactly, is scolding who for being frustrated???? Definitely not me. I am, however, scolding people who act like they should be automatically granted access to cheaper HAMILTON tickets.  Live entertainment is not a right or necessity... It's a luxury.  Sorry that you cannot seem to accept that --- there's plenty other high quality, highly accessible theatre out there for you. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#60Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:19pm

sarahb22 said: "Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with being frustrated that you want to see a show, there are tickets available, but even the crappy ones are priced WAY above what any reasonable person should have to pay to see a 2-1/2 hour show.   And just as an aside, getting scolded about feeling frustrated doesn't alleviate the frustration. Just so you know."

By this logic, am I allowed to be frustrated that I can't afford to drive a Porsche? I see cars available on the dealer's lot all of the time, but even the lower-end models are priced WAY above what any reasonable person should have to pay to own a car. 

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 05:19 PM

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#61Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:57pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "By this logic, am I allowed to be frustrated that I can't afford to drive a Porsche? I see cars available on the dealer's lot all of the time, but even the lower-end models are priced WAY above what any reasonable person should have to pay to own a car. "

I'm not talking about the list price. I'm talking about what the scalpers are demanding.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#62Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 6:08pm

If there weren't scalpers, these same folks would be complaining about the "list price" too.  Especially since this entire thread is about the cost of premium (non scalper) seats.

No one is saying it doesn't suck that the scalpers are reaping the profit they are....but the blame really needs to be placed on....no one.  Scalping in NY is legal, gads of people ARE willing to pay those prices. That's not Hamilton's fault any more than it's my "fault" for seeing the show 3x at face value.   My average price?  $133. (no sro, no lottery tix) 

But JM is correct about everything else.

Even if NO scalping occurred, many of you STILL wouldn't be able to obtain tickets because everyone and their brother is trying to get them.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 4/24/16 at 06:08 PM

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#63Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 6:11pm

This is all about demand. The truth is that the producers underpriced the tickets. If you want seats to be available at list price, blame them for not charging more from the get-go. The scalpers saw an opportunity to make money and are taking advantage of that. Taking them out of the equation would not change the availability of tickets. The show would still be sold out because we're seeing that the demand is there. The scalpers wouldn't be charging these outrageous prices if people weren't paying them. 

And with that said, I absolutely hope that the producers jack up the prices again. Those directly involved with the production are the ones who deserve to profit.

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 06:11 PM

Margo319
#64Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:08pm

Be frustrated all you want, just go to another freaking show and stop complaining.  Damn.

JM226
#65Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:13pm

^^^ this. Except that I disagree about trying to snuff out complaining. People can complain all they want but that also opens the door for people like me to rip them for their reasoning and/or logic behind the disappointment, which on its face is flawed and faulty. 

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#66Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:14pm

dramamama611 said: "If there weren't scalpers, these same folks would be complaining about the "list price" too."

I can't speak for anybody else, but I wouldn't be complaining at all.  I'd be happy I could go see what looks like an excellent show. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#67Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:14pm

It's funny to me how so many people in this thread are railing against this price hike which...hasn't happened. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, of course, but it's coming from Riedel, who is notoriously unreliable and also has a pretty stated dislike of the show. I think people can afford to take the outrage down a few notches. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:30pm

People always complain about whatever show is most expensive...even at face value.   Heck, around here, it doesn't even have to be most expensive

Again....all of my tickets have been either through the website or at the box office...face value.  It can be done.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

nolanativeny
#69Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:40pm

I don't think it's "entitled" to feel frustrated. You have to admit it's frustrating to look at some dates on Ticketmaster and something like 1/5 of the seats are available, but with a huge markup from scalpers. I don't have any problem paying face value, I just wish I could. I'm frustrated with that and I'm frustrated at myself for not jumping and buying a ticket months ago at face value when they were available. Believe me, I will be ready online the moment they open up the next block of seats. And in the meantime, I am seeing plenty of shows and enjoying them. I don't think I'm the type of person being chastised, though (at least I hope not). I know I'll see it someday, and I'm willing to wait for it. 

To be on topic, I just hope that if they do hike up premium prices to that price, they don't hike up the non-premium seats too much. If they do I guess I can just keep entering the lottery. 

After Eight
#70Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:54pm

When diamonds are sold, you pay diamond prices. When costume jewelry is proclaimed to have the value of diamonds, you pay diamond prices. So buyer beware. If you pay diamond prices, at least make sure you're getting a diamond.

AnnieBlack
#71Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:57pm

The bigger issue is, once they raise their price to $995, Book of Mormon will follow suit, then Frozen next year, etc- Then regular tickets prices will easily jump to $200- its a slippery slope 

aaaaaa15
#72Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:59pm

I think Book of Mormon would very much struggle to sell their tickets at $995. It's not 2011 anymore.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#73Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:19pm

I'm really appalled by people saying it's simply economics. Of course, many people have taken econ in high school or college, but if you do you should know the basic rule of supply and demand is a very simple model that changes drastically in real-life situations. For example, you have more complex, if not totally correct, models such as monopoly, free market, and they are totally different but both derived from the basic supply and demand rule. The limitations are posed sometimes not just for the sake of business. Should Hamilton raise the price? It's up to them. But should there be no limit as to how much they can raise it? I guess not. After all, it's theater, it's art, not entirely cold-blooded business. To think of theater as simply a business is basically to ruin what could be the legacy of this country, a testament of the beliefs upon which it is built.

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 08:19 PM

JM226
#74Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:24pm

"After all, it's theater, it's art, not entirely cold-blooded business. To think of theater as simply a business is basically to ruin what could be the legacy of this country, a testament of the beliefs upon which it is built."

you would have a super valid argument... IF we were talking about theatre and art as a whole. But we are not. We are talking about one show in a commercial, for-profit arena. Fortunately this demand and price is not applicable for all Broadway shows or all theatre. There is still PLENTY of high quality, enriching art that is completely accessible. End of story. 

Videos