pixeltracker

2016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade- Page 3

2016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#502016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:58pm

I don't really understand those trying to justify a crappy Hairspray performance.  The producers have shown, time and again, that they can't pull off these live musicals.  Why would this year's be any different?

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#512016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:59pm

I'm in California, not LA but SF, and it's not really that bright and sunny this time of year at 6:00 a.m. or even 7:00, so I agree with others that was not a live performance. 

I nearly spit my coffee out with the "Divine Pet Food" sign. Pure John Waters inside gag, a nod to Pink Flamingos I assume. 

Sondheim_Disney1595
#522016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:16pm

Any links to any performances besides Hairspray yet?

curel1
#532016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:18pm

Tag said: "I don't really understand those trying to justify a crappy Hairspray performance.  The producers have shown, time and again, that they can't pull off these live musicals.  Why would this year's be any different?

Because The Wiz wasn't crappy at all?

trpguyy
#542016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:20pm

Are we sure the Hairspray performance was live from LA? The sun had only risen about 10 minutes prior to the telecast slot, which to my eyes would have looked different. That seemed to late afternoon sun (and the shadows look like the same ones that were posted by cast members last night), but I could be way off. 

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 01:20 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#552016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:33pm

uncageg said: "That Macy's Believe commercial with the man aging choked me up a bit!"

Same here.  I choke up just thinking about it!  I hope they show it throughout the holiday season.

toofunktastic2
#562016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:35pm

Sondheim_Disney1595 said: "Any links to any performances besides Hairspray yet?

"

Here's school of Rock performance on CBS: 

https://youtu.be/UChFKUD24rI

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#572016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:45pm

Here's The Color Purple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El3Za9vXIcs

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 01:45 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#582016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:01pm

itis, that link took me to School of Rock.

Just give the world Love.

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#592016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:06pm

uncageg said: "itis, that link took me to School of Rock.

"

Sorry about that I just fixed it!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#602016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:13pm

I have a serious question.  Is something wrong with Arianna's mouth? Why can't she pronounce consonants?

I can never ever understand anything she sings, and this time I knew the words.

The WAITRESS number was boring and that choreography was, well, not good.

HOLIDAY INN looked so forced I got a little scared. (I know putting a number that works onstage can look too big for TV, but calm down a bit. 

CATS was cats, no more no less and that poor Grizabella did not sound like the type of singer/diva that should be in that role. Was she wearing jeans?

PARAMOUR was thew best because it looked like part of a parade.

On the whole, very unexciting.

Happy Thanksgiving!

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#612016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:29pm

Boy do I feel old. I knew hardly none of the music acts performing the little snipets when the floats pause in front of Macy's. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#622016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:29pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "I have a serious question.  Is something wrong with Arianna's mouth? Why can't she pronounce consonants?

I can never ever understand anything she sings, and this time I knew the words.

The WAITRESS number was boring and that choreography was, well, not good.

HOLIDAY INN looked so forced I got a little scared. (I know putting a number that works onstage can look too big for TV, but calm down a bit. 

CATS was cats, no more no less and that poor Grizabella did not sound like the type of singer/diva that should be in that role. Was she wearing jeans?

PARAMOUR was thew best because it looked like part of a parade.

On the whole, very unexciting.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"

I agree, this lineup of shows wasn't really much. I wonder what was stopping DEH and Natasha from performing or even Hamilton.

trpguyy- pretty sure it was pre-recorded.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#632016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:44pm

I thought Holliday Inn and Paramour faired the best because their numbers were the most appropriate for a parade. Cats would have been better without Memory. As much as I'd love to have seen Dear Evan Hansen I just can't imagine a song that would have been appropriate.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#642016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 2:52pm

I feel like Great Comet could've worked well, maybe the Prologue. 

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 02:52 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#652016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:00pm

I still wish that they broadcasted live from the theatres, but tradition is tradition I suppose.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#662016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:27pm

I noticed that Hairspray's performance was done with at least TWO TAKES. Notice that Dove is wearing sunglasses, well, if you watch the Von Tussle part: She has them on till "Yes we Can", than has them in left hand till "Please someone" but the next lines "and now we're gonna shake and shimmy" the sunglasses are tucked in the top of her dress- only a split second later. IMPOSSIBLE for this to have been done unless two takes were used.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 11/24/16 at 03:27 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#672016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:30pm

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzpDWMDnlmw

4:06- no glasses on the top of her dress, but 4:07- the glasses are tucked in the top of her dress

Darreyl with an L!

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#682016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:38pm

If anyone is still looking to watch these on youtube someone just posted them all

Waitress

Paramour

Cats

Holiday Inn

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 03:38 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#692016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:45pm

Color Purple anyone?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#702016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:49pm

Also in some shots after the Von Tussle part, Kristin's sunglasses are on, and sometimes not.

Darreyl with an L!

rjm516
#712016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 4:07pm

I'm obsessed with this production of Color Purple, but oh my god, how did they manage to have an even more disjointed and rocky performance than the average Tonys medley?

curel1
#722016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 4:13pm

darreyl102 said: "Also in some shots after the Von Tussle part, Kristin's sunglasses are on, and sometimes not.

"

Ok?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#732016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 4:16pm

Waitress was an interesting choice, but they should have done the opening of "What's Inside" and "Opening Up."

Holiday Inn was boring until the jump roping, and then after that ended it was boring again.

Cats should have just done the opening, but Mamie Parris sounded great. Still not a fan of the costume.

Paramour was a mess. 

Hairspray Live was a mixed bag. Maddie looked and sounded great, as did J Hud. I know Ariana will step it up when it's live, but her dancing was a little questionable.

I still think Great Comet could have done the Prologue, "Charming," or even "Balaga," just as Dear Evan Hansen could have done "Waving Through A Window." I'm surprised Bronx Tale didn't perform on CBS or NBC, or that we got previews from next season, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Anastasia.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#742016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 4:18pm

Just so people know this wasen't a one shot thing. This could have been a much cleaner performance...

Darreyl with an L!

Videos