pixeltracker

Titanic Broadway Revival 2019/2020!!!- Page 3

Titanic Broadway Revival 2019/2020!!!

Bwayornoway
#50Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:48pm

I'm all in - I think this would be a warm welcome as a revival , especially since we need a few choices in that category for next season.  Hopefully they will think about what worked and didn't work in the original.  It needs to have an even balance of emotional connection to the characters and their journey as well spectacle.  IT was a marvel at one point in history.  Scenic design I think is what will sink or sail this production.  

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 1:19pm

Did this work better in person, or did it really look this cartoon-ish?

The reaction of the audience in that video should provide a clue to your answer.  It was breathtaking in person.  What you don't get from the video is the depth of the tableau.  The ship was basically against the back wall and the ocean was a rake that covered the majority of the stage floor, creating a rather stunning and startling perspective of seeing the ship pass in that night, almost as if you were on board another nearby ship.  The preceding song enhanced the experience through the lyrics that assist in the dichotomy of the atmosphere and mood with what we know is coming as the melody slowly shifts from being carefree and lackadaisical to anxious, growing in intensity only to be interrupted by the infamous line heralding the beginning of the unavoidable tragedy.  As if almost in relief, the audience is at once removed from the perspective of being on the ship itself and provided a striking representation of the night as was described in song with a gentle melody, but as the ship approaches its destiny, the music again invokes the the foreboding dread of what we an know awaits only just beyond the proscenium's edge.

It was beautifully tragic, emotional and intense.  There was no way a two-dimensional video of any sort could really capture the feeling of seeing it.  Unfortunately, the tour just couldn't replicate it as well and the efforts to recreate the rest of the staging was unsuccessful.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ghostlight2
#52Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 1:22pm

"Did the entire floor of the stage tilt from one side to the other? If so, could the audience see underneath the "up" end?"

Yes the entire stage tilted. The video I linked to (not a great one) shows this happening durung the course of Andrew's Lament. No, there was no way the audience could see the underside. 

"Did this work better in person, or did it really look this cartoon-ish? From the clip, I found it hard not to giggle when the scrim went up and the little toy boat made its way across the stage."

It did not work well, no. It was a huge misstep in an otherwise great production. At least they cut the tiny Alvin model that came from the back of the house in previews. That was cringe-inducing.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#53Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 2:43pm

We've got two very different opinions here regarding the effectiveness of the staging; my thanks to you both for sharing your thoughts.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ghostlight2
#54Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 2:49pm

The truth is somewhere in between. Mister Matt is correct. The lead up did somewhat sell the scene, and  it did reach a lot of audience members, but imo, it was anti climatic.

Mister Matt
#55Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 3:17pm

I imagine the opinion would also vary wildly depending on where you sat in the theatre.  My dad and I were lucky to get house seats released at the last minute, so we had optimal viewing from the center orchestra.

The only missteps for me in the original production were the "portal monologues" in Act 2 and casting a clearly adult woman as the Bellboy.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#56Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 6:06pm

When I saw the Broadway production, one day after it won the Tony, the entire audience did giggle when that ridiculous toy ship went across the stage. Personally I found the entire Broadway production badly done. Years later, after seeing the brilliant way Signature did the show ( I was fortunate to see it 3 times) I know the the Broadway production was indeed poorly staged (I agree with Matt, casting a woman as the bellboy was dreadful. And that squeaky voice she used was like nails down a blackboard. It was probably the worst performance I have ever seen in a Broadway show). Signatures production moved me more than the B'way production ever did. I hope that most of the magic survives being staged in a proscenium theatre.

Tsao5
#57Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/12/18 at 3:37pm

The Dutch and German original productions (by the same producers) were much better staging wise.  Set, costumes and lighting were also improvements on the Broadway version. In addition, very young looking actors were used as the Bellboys.  Using a grown woman as the Bellboy in the original looked ALMOST as ridiculous as the toy boat (and the digital clock on the side of the stage).  In the European productions there was no toy boat nor distracting clock. Having seen the production that might be mounted on Broadway at the   Westchester Broadway Theatre based on the Hanger Theater version.............yes, different set but same smaller cast doubling of principals concept........................ I will say those who were lucky enough to see the original will appreciate having seen a full cast where principals do not double as each other.  In addition, in the smaller version there are cuts......................as I remember the exciting Wake Up Wake Up sequence is cut, as is the wonderful scene where the millionaires are talking about their fate and if they deserved what is to happen after the life boats have left the ship.  In addition, again, if the new production is similar to the Westchester one, it is a bit confusing having the character of Bride singing The Night Was Alive....and then he is leading the Ragtime number as Hartley.  I know the videos of the Signature and Korean production looks great, and the reviews were also.  It just seems that, as the millionaires being on the Titanic (at the time) was such an event and added to the mythos of the sinking, having them played by Barrett and Bride ect. is a bit of a disservice to the story.  Those who have seen the full Korean or Signature or Hanger theater or Westchester Broadway versions...........thoughts?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#58Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/12/18 at 3:47pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the Southwark production that I saw in Toronto. My only real issue with the show was the last 15 minutes, when all the characters came downstage with their backs to the audience, a drop flew in behind them, and they turned around and gave lines that were a "where are they now" or a "did they survive" of each character.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 9/12/18 at 03:47 PM

Mister Matt
#59Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/12/18 at 4:12pm

My only real issue with the show was the last 15 minutes, when all the characters came downstage with their backs to the audience, a drop flew in behind them, and they turned around and gave lines that were a "where are they now" or a "did they survive" of each character.

That would be the "porthole monologues" I was talking about.  It was the only part of the original production I found awkward.

aussieskates
#60Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/12/18 at 7:32pm

I was fortunate enough to see a chamber version in my home town of Melbourne two years ago.

The score is gorgeous, and the stagecraft was nothing short of brilliant.

So thrilled to hear it is getting a revival.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#61Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/12/18 at 9:51pm

Bwayfan292 said: "who are some people you guys wanna see star in this?"

I would love to see Brian D’Arcy James return and tackle Thomas Andrews this time so we could hear him sing the Prologue and Mr. Andrews’ Vision. 

Come to think of it, he’d also be a fine Captain Smith or even Ismay. 

Updated On: 9/12/18 at 09:51 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#62Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/13/18 at 1:33pm

I saw the headline about this and wondered how the Signature production I saw would translate to a proscenium, but the Korea video looks like it's preserved the feeling of the beautiful set design.

I'd love to see more revivals of shows from the 80s and 90s, that haven't been done to death (looking at you, Kiss Me Kate).

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 12/12/18 at 01:33 PM

persephone88
#63Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/13/18 at 9:12pm

While I very much enjoyed the Signature production, I do think the show works better when they do not double the roles. Even when the actors do a fine job distinguishing between the multiple parts they play, I like seeing a fuller company on the stage for this show particularly. I thought it was wonderfully staged at Signature - they used the space incredibly well.I'd love to see it at a theatre like Circle In the Square....

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#64Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 9/16/18 at 2:31pm

^Didn't the original production double the roles? I didn't see it, but that's what it looks like on IBDB.

I'd rather have double roles than a production that's too expensive to run.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

CaseyBrent41
#65Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 4:59pm

Going to be at the Lunt in the spring. Can't believe how many musicals we're getting too many i think

StageJunkie2
#66Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 5:19pm

And we know this how?  I have one open slot left during my scheduled 10-day trip in early May. Would be VERY exciting news, if true...

GetUp&LiveIt
#67Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 5:20pm

This is very exciting news!! Is it officially coming to the Lunt?!

Emmaloucbway
#68Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 7:18pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "Going to be at the Lunt in the spring. Can't believe how many musicals we're getting too many i think"

I think if Titanic was a new musical it might be too many but we need more musical revivals this season, so I hope this is true!  

robskynyc
#69Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 7:37pm

y'all realize this thread was started in December of 2017 right? and there hasn't been another peep about this since then. except for that bad @SS revival they did on the lake.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#70Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 8:20pm

robskynyc said: "y'all realize this thread was started in December of 2017 right? and there hasn't been another peep about this since then. except for that bad @SS revival they did on the lake."

Actually, there were peeps a few months ago:

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193241/titanic-revival-aims-for-a-2019-2020-broadway-bow/

robskynyc
#71Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/13/18 at 8:31pm

CT2NYC said: "robskynyc said: "y'all realize this thread was started in December of 2017 right? and there hasn't been another peep about this since then. except for that bad @SS revival they did on the lake."

Actually, there were peeps a few months ago:

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193241/titanic-revival-aims-for-a-2019-2020-broadway-bow/
"

hey I'm all for it. I've been dying to see the show. but that article doesn't give any new information that wasn't already in the December 2017 article, with the exception of the auditions :-p 

we would have heard a lot more about this if it was really moving forward

Updated On: 12/13/18 at 08:31 PM

LightsOut90
#72Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/14/18 at 2:13pm

highly doubt this is coming in this spring 

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#73Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/14/18 at 2:32pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "Going to be at the Lunt in the spring. Can't believe how many musicals we're getting too many i think"

I don't know if there's any base to this, but you've gotten hopes up, so thanks.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#74Titanic Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 12/14/18 at 2:37pm

But isn’t Summer going to be at the Lunt? And isn’t there a Japanese revival that’s coming to Broadway too?

Videos