pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE actress: “homosexuality isn’t right”- Page 3

THE COLOR PURPLE actress: “homosexuality isn’t right”

Impossible2
#50LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:06pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Fetus said: "I wonder if she was genuinely unaware of the LGBT themes in the piece, the film and musical aremore vague onCelie's sexuality which could be missed by someone as ignorant asOmooba appears to be. Someone who locked herself in a room to avoid being seen in a pride video doesn't strike me as one to audition to play a lesbian, but ignorance can often surprise."

I remember seeing the movie in the theater right after it opened. That kiss was pretty shocking for me who as a still closeted young gay manat that point hadn’t really seen any depictions (that I can recall) of same sex attraction. Now it seems pretty tame, but it wasn’t at the time. I don’t think there’s any way this actress didn’t know what she was signing up for.

By the way, whatever controversies and flaws remain with the film, it remains one of my all time favorites.

"

The movie is fantastic, the musical however...aye,aye,aye...

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#51LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:20pm

I can’t say the musical is one of my favorites, but I’m glad I saw it (the revival) if only for Cynthia Erivo’s performance. I think she got three standing ovations during the show. It doesn’t hurt that I saw it for $30 (Standing Room and was able to move down to a right orchestra seat at intermission).

Impossible2
#52LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:24pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I can’t say the musical is one of my favorites, but I’m glad I saw it (the revival) if only for Cynthia Erivo’s performance. I think she got three standing ovations during the show. It doesn’t hurt that I saw it for $30 (Standing Room and was able to move down to a right orchestra seat at intermission)."

She was good, Hudson was terrible. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#53LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:31pm

Hudson was W O O D E N

Heather Headley was brilliant however. Had she opened with the show, I think she would've won a Tony for her performance.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#54LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:31pm

Erivo was amazing. I actually thought Hudson was good, but I know I’m in the minority in thinking that.

Impossible2
#55LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:21pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Erivo was amazing. I actually thought Hudson was good, but I know I’m in the minority in thinking that."

Her singing was fine, but her acting was atrocious.

Honestly I thought Ervio sang a couple of songs well, but other than that I wasn't that impressed. I had no idea how praised her performance was until about a year later when I was sat next to some theatre know it all at The Crucible who proclaimed it as 'the best performance of the last 20 years'.

I thought really gurl, did we see the same show?

In fairness I was crammed into the back row of the Front Mezzanine almost crippled by the lack of leg room, so I just wasn't feeling the whole thing at all. Still I've sat in far worse seats and been blown away by other performers.

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#56LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 10:28pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Fetus said: "I wonder if she was genuinely unaware of the LGBT themes in the piece, the film and musical aremore vague onCelie's sexuality which could be missed by someone as ignorant asOmooba appears to be. Someone who locked herself in a room to avoid being seen in a pride video doesn't strike me as one to audition to play a lesbian, but ignorance can often surprise."

I remember seeing the movie in the theater right after it opened. That kiss was pretty shocking for me who as a still closeted young gay manat that point hadn’t really seen any depictions (that I can recall) of same sex attraction. Now it seems pretty tame, but it wasn’t at the time. I don’t think there’s any way this actress didn’t know what she was signing up for.

By the way, whatever controversies and flaws remain with the film, it remains one of my all time favorites.

"

Fair point, the movie was before my time so I wasn't aware of the original reactions, just Alice Walker having a somewhat difficult relationship with Spielberg for glossing over many elements she wanted included. It's a phenomenal film and Whoopi's performance was robbed of an Oscar, but the book is a completely elevated experience that I cannot recommend enough.

As for the stage production I missed the original production and only knew it from the cast album, but after seeing the revival back in 2016 Erivo and Headley's performances have stayed with me since (I consider myself lucky missing Hudson by a week from what I've heard). The book's admittedly bad, but the score invokes themes that were neglected in the film in a beautiful way.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#57LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 10:39pm

I agree that Goldberg was deserving of winning for her portrayal of Celie. And yes, the book is great.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#58LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 5:35am

Miles2Go2 said: "I agree that Goldberg was deserving of winning for her portrayal of Celie. And yes, the book is great."

Whoopi's Oscar for GHOST wasn't actually for GHOST it was for her role in COLOR PURPLE.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Plannietink08
#59LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 5:38am

According to Twitter the theater has tried to fire the actress but she's threatening legal action based on religious discrimination.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#60LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 5:53am

That would not surprise me. I absolutely think she would have legal grounds to claim religious discrimination. Believe me, I detest religion more than ANYONE on this forum - I guarantee it. However, we have decided to privilege and protect harmful and false religious beliefs by LAW. She is simply expressing her religious beliefs, and if she gets fired because of it the company will likely be breaking the law. I would hope she would acknowledge that she is just not right for this company and production, and resign. On the other hand, I hate to say "I told you so" about how harmful religion can be, but in many ways I do hope she takes legal action if fired to expose how absurd our current societal attitudes towards religion are. Why is homosexuality one of the few human characteristics where it can be socially acceptable to express negative attitudes towards under the guise of religion? This lawsuit would hopefully open a national conversation about whether we should be privileging religious attitudes and beliefs as much as we do. It's 2019 and we can protect our false and harmful attitudes because they are grounded in fairly tales? Madness.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/19/19 at 05:53 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 7:49am

1.  This is in the UK.  I don't know about YOU, but I have no idea what THEIR laws governing this may be.

2.  SAYING things is very different then DOING things.   Do we know that she has actually TREATED anyone disrespectfully?  Can you discriminate with just words? 

3.  She IS entitled to her beliefs, no matter how repugnant they may be.  I just can't understand her willingness to play the role.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#62LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 8:09am

Plannietink08 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "I agree that Goldberg was deserving of winning for her portrayal of Celie. And yes, the book is great."

Whoopi's Oscar for GHOST wasn't actually for GHOST it was for her role in COLOR PURPLE.
"

That very well could be, but I loved her in Ghost too! 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#63LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 8:27am

dramamama611 said: "She IS entitled to her beliefs, no matter how repugnant they may be. I just can't understand her willingness to play the role."

Do you mean to say that she's entitled to publicly express repugnant beliefs without any consequences regarding her employment? I would certainly disagree with that. People are entitled to say pretty much whatever they want without fear of punishment from the government, but they are not entitled to protection from natural consequences brought on by other individuals making their own decisions about who to associate with. And a repugnant belief doesn't become less repugnant because it's "religious."

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#64LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 8:52am

I will say I’m friends with flight attendants who have had to choose to either delete their social media accounts or to change their profile/user names to something other than their real names. Not because they did anything wrong, but because those were the rules of their employment. The airlines don’t want their employees’ statements and behavior on social media to offend anyone and reflect badly on them. Not sure what the laws are like in the UK and what her contract states. That will ultimately determine what consequences she faces. By the way, how old was her tweet? Has she issued any kind of statement since this came to light? This all reminds me of the Kevin Hart situation. I have not one bit of sympathy for that man. He said and tweeted vile things years ago but then when asked later why he stopped, he said because people are too sensitive. Then when he was confronted again with this more recently, he said he had already apologized many times over the years (he had not) then he finally issued an apology then went back into defensive victim-mode again. As far as this actress, it doesn’t sound like she is backing down from her anti-LGBT statements at all. My guess is this controversy will not help the box office.

Updated On: 3/19/19 at 08:52 AM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#65LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 9:14am

I think one can discriminate with words. And aside from that, she has seriously damaged the show and the business and audiences interest with these words and her following actions, which in itself should be covered by a clause in the contract. Also, threatening your employers and insulting your co-workers is usually a quite unsustainable situation.

I could also see this escalating even more, for example other actors walking out if she stays, or cancelling the whole production. Maybe they can do a new production in a few months, with the same cast and crew but with a new lead. That production would then resemble a triumph that love wins over religion and hate and would radiate the right feeling that matches the show. And actually bring in audiences.

Updated On: 3/19/19 at 09:14 AM

Plannietink08
#66LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 9:46am

Dave28282 said:

I could also see this escalating even more, for example other actors walking out if she stays, or cancelling the whole production...."

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that a few members of the company have threatened to walk if she isn't let go. There's some pretty high profile people in the industry asking for her to be let go as well. If it's taking this long for the theater to act then she's definitely giving them a headache.

I am worried this is going to cause another Great Comet situation. I'd hate to see so many performers and creatives out of a job because of one person. If she had any sort of respect she would gracefully step down because it should be obvious that one way or another she isn't going to stand on that stage as Celie. 

NYCblurb
#67LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 10:56am

Fetus said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Fetus said: "I wonder if she was genuinely unaware of the LGBT themes in the piece, the film and musical aremore vague onCelie's sexuality which could be missed by someone as ignorant asOmooba appears to be. Someone who locked herself in a room to avoid being seen in a pride video doesn't strike me as one to audition to play a lesbian, but ignorance can often surprise."

"

Fair point, the movie was before my time so I wasn't aware of the original reactions, just Alice Walker having a somewhat difficult relationshipwith Spielberg for glossing over manyelements she wanted included. It's a phenomenal film and Whoopi's performance was robbed of an Oscar, but the book is a completely elevated experience that I cannot recommend enough.

As for the stage production I missed the original production and only knew it from the cast album, but after seeing the revival back in 2016Erivo and Headley's performances have stayed with me since (I consider myself lucky missing Hudson by a week from what I've heard).The book's admittedly bad, but the score invokes themes that were neglected in the film in a beautiful way.
"

The kiss/es in the movie I always found beautiful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGTVB7IHKE

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 11:01am

kdogg36 said: "dramamama611 said: "She IS entitled to her beliefs, no matter how repugnant they may be. I just can't understand her willingness to play the role."

Do you mean to say that she's entitled to publicly express repugnant beliefs without any consequences regarding her employment? I would certainly disagree with that. People are entitled to say pretty much whatever they wantwithout fear of punishment from the government, but they are not entitled to protection from natural consequences brought on by other individuals making their own decisions about who to associate with. And a repugnant belief doesn't become less repugnant because it's "religious."

"

I didn't say that at all.   I wouldn't want to work with her at all, and I would be in full support of her being fired.  If she creates a lawsuit, I still think they would win as her presence would certainly create a negative working relationship with everyone else.  HOWEVER: if only knowing this about her is causing the problem, I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on, if she doesn't bring it into the rehearsal room.  (Not saying that she would be able to do so, however.)   

Is the law in the UK about free speech the same in the UK?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#69LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 11:22am

The legal labour laws in the UK are very strict. I could imagine this being a little bit of a gray area that would need to be battled and argued in courts, but the organisation would definitely need to tread carefully around this area and I imagine are very carefully seeking legal advice right now about their options (hence the delay of any statement or action). Very very tricky situation. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#70LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 11:25am

In the UK most Equity contracts contain a clause along the lines: "the artist will not disclose any material relating to the production on social media without permission from the producers. The artist will not bring the production into disrepute via social media activities"- some variation on that.

Whether the clause is enforceable if brought into conflict with religious beliefs, I do not know. Whether stating a religious belief constitutes bringing a production into disrepute is one for the law courts to decide.

Dallas Theatre Fan
#71LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 11:32am

She will probably be bought out of her contract. This production is going to be tarnished by this scandal and I have no idea if it will able to recover. Plus, the actress might be blacklisted for a while from the West End.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#72LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 12:12pm

kdogg36 said: "Do you mean to say that she's entitled to publicly express repugnant beliefs without any consequences regarding her employment? "

Yes. ...with the caveat that she is not violating any regulation that's contractually placed on her. As I wrote earlier, "denying employment based solely on what a person believes is a slippery slope that could be used against anyone; including those whose views one agrees with."

"Repugnant" is in the eye of the beholder. Although I do not agree with her religious belief in this matter, I feel that she is entitled to her beliefs.

She chose to accept the role of a character that (per her tweets) is in opposition to her religious beliefs. In spite of the speculations (and I don't see anything in this thread that indicates fact regarding lawsuits - yet). Because of that, it remains to be seen how she will conduct herself within the company, and how she will perform the role.

An actor does not have to BE the role in real life. There are many examples of actors who can convincingly portray a role that doesn't reflect any aspect of their true personality in the real world.

Most of this thread is reactions that could be distilled down to the implication, "I don't like her religious belief regarding homosexuality, so she should not be employed". I find that attitude to be a dangerous and slippery slope. 

It still remains to be seen how she will perform the role, and how she will conduct herself within the company, and with those that hired her (keeping in mind that at the time she was cast, it seems apparent that NO ONE saw any sign that she might be problematic).

#73LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 12:38pm

Any messages that have been deleted have been done so because they have been determined to have violated our rules. Just because you (or we) ultimately agree with the post, doesn't mean that it can't be inappropriate for the board. Attacking an individual for whatever reason is in 99% of the cases going to violate our rules. By all of the pages of discussion in this thread already, we welcome the debate and conversation, but it needs to be kept within the confines of our rules. 

pmensky
#74LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/19/19 at 1:18pm

Dallas Theatre Fan said: "She will probably be bought out of her contract. This production is going to be tarnished by this scandal and I have no idea if it will able to recover. Plus, the actress might be blacklisted for a while from the West End."

I agree.  I think they will buy her out, too.  She’d be smart to issue an apology to the gay community for her tweet along with stating how she’s changed, grown, etc., and might be able to salvage her career.  The fact that she took the role of Celie establishes that she cares more about her career than the courage of her convictions, so it would make sense if that’s how this plays out.  If she’s defiant and British Equity stands by her side, things will get ugly.

Videos